Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Logan Branch - Centre County 10-25-13

From Hunker
I was on my way to Spring Creek, when I remembered reading about one of its tributaries, logan branch. Being my first time, I stopped at TCO fly shop and got directions, and a few minutes later I arrived. Just looking at the water, I knew that it looked prime, and I was sorta glad when I began to wade that I didn't sink into 2-4ft of silt. The bottom was niceand full of gravel and plants. Being my first time I did more walking and exploring than fishing to get to know the stream. I fished here and there with no luck and spotted a good bit of trout which was good to see. I then came upon a deep fast pool and tossed my streamer in, a few casts later I had one on, felt heavy and fought like a big fat rainbow from Big Spring, I saw a quick glimpse before it got off and it looked like a brown. I moved on upstream and saw a little tributary spring creek to Logan Run, and this little tiny 3-7' wide stream has trout all threw it, and they were wild! Bows and browns of all sizes. I was sorta amazed to see that they were out in the open just sitting there (until I spooked them) and these trout were of very respectable size. The little Trib is heavily wooded and I couldn't even make a cast in most of the stream except for a few bow and arrow casts which failed, Plus there were no blue herons in this wooded area, so it probably explains why they were out in the open. The water was gin clear and the Trib and the stream were both a true challenge, for me even more so than the Letort.( gonna have to bring the 1 weight next time). I drove upstream about a mile to a pull off and kept to my streamer and walked downstream, Im pretty use to being extremely stealthy, but it wasn't cutting it for these wary fish. I saw many 6-10 inch and a few bigger, the biggest being a 15" brown that stook out cause of its vibrant fall colors. Also tried a cress bug, but they were much more interested in the bugger. This is deff a stream I'm coming back too, and maybe il find someone that knows the stream alittle better to show me the ropes of this little spring creek.

Posted on: 2013/10/25 20:09
"Ours is the grandest sport. It is an intriguing battle of wits between an angler and a trout; and in addition to appreciating the tradition and grace of the game, we play it in the magnificent out-of-doors."
~ Ernest G. Schwiebert, Jr.

Re: Logan Branch - Centre County 10-25-13

From Pittsburgh
Logan Branch has a bit of a reputation for holding large trout, and has always intrigued me.
And I've driven along it many times while fishing in the area - hoping to find some risers to cast too, But I have rarely found any surface activity there. It seems to be nymph/streamer type of water for sure. And kind of hard for me to spend time on it, with spring creek just down the road...............

Posted on: 2013/10/26 8:10

From Gettysburg
I love LB......but I'm a brush buster and chuck/duck guy.

Here's a piece I donated to SCTU recently:

Attach file:

jpg  LBSmall.jpg (55.48 KB)
26_526bbffdd0ecf.jpg 320X237 px

Posted on: 2013/10/26 9:13

From Lancaster
That's a beautiful piece of artwork, Dave.

Posted on: 2013/10/26 10:32

From Hunker
Wow, that's impressive...I think I've seen your artwork at yellow breeches outfitters? But ya, I think I got a new stream in my favorite list. Dryflyguy, I walked probably a mile of the stream and saw no risers either, however I did see tan caddis coming off size 14-16 and alot of midges.

Posted on: 2013/10/26 10:57
"Ours is the grandest sport. It is an intriguing battle of wits between an angler and a trout; and in addition to appreciating the tradition and grace of the game, we play it in the magnificent out-of-doors."

I used to fish Logan Branch a lot. Surface activity is pretty rare. There are places where you can find rising fish, but in general it is not a dry fly stream.

Posted on: 2013/10/26 11:49

From Attitudinally, one mile south of Lake LeBoeuf
The Logan Br. may not be a "dry fly stream" in the sense that you can go there and see actively working fish. But that doesn't mean much, at least IMO. I fished it 3 or 4 times a year all through the 80s and most of the 90s and usually did pretty well.

But more to the point, I'd say that 80-90% of the trout I've caught out of the Logan Branch were on top. Its like any other limestone of its size class or type I've fished in PA, WI, IA or VA or the limestone-like high volume spring creeks of Central Oregon like the Fall or Metolius. Most of the fish in these streams that are candidates for being caught on top hold very, very, very (that's probably enough verys...) tight to the banks. Much tighter than in the majority of PA freestones. If you can consistently get into that 1-3 inch zone along the banks with a decent drift, you can catch fish all day on small (#18) hare's ear parachutes jiggled as they drift past the holding lies or big (#10-12) deerhair ants and beetles whether you see risers or not. But getting into that zone is critical. There is about 30 mm difference between catching fish regularly and getting skunked

I've found this to be true on smaller limestones virtually everywhere. Of course, I also believe that fishing a big ant during the trike on the Little Lehigh is almost as effective as fishing a trike imitation. So, take it all for what it may be worth....:)

Posted on: 2013/10/31 12:30

From Hunker
Great info, I actually plan on going out there this Saturday and will give that technique a try, thanks

Posted on: 2013/10/31 17:13

From Pittsburgh
RLeeP -
That's pretty interesting stuff. I gotta admit that when I've checked that stream out - and didn't see any risers - I didn't hang around very long, when I know I can just about always find surface activity on spring creek.
Maybe I need to have a little more patience with it - and fish it like a brookie stream...........

Posted on: 2013/11/1 1:28

From West Chester,PA
RLeeP
that's a really informative post and will try some of your suggestions next time i'm out.thanks for sharing

Posted on: 2013/11/1 9:51

From Dauphin PA
They rise during sulphur time. It does have a reputation for holding some hawgs. I think it was back in the late 80's when an electro-fishing survey brought a fish a tad over 11 pounds to net. Only place I've ever caught a wild brown by hand. Wading in heavier flow and saw a sickly little guy (7-8") near the bank / cover. Scooped him up by had, laughed, snapped pic and released.

Posted on: 2013/11/1 13:03

From PA
Krayfish, that is a interesting post. I have never fished the stream being discussed here, although I have fished most others in that area. But what strikes me is the comment about the large fish.

I am a self diagnosed large fish addict. LOL

It amazes me to no end, how many Central and South-Central PA streams of ALL sizes have enormous trout in them. I do a lot of scouting during low water periods and get an idea where some of these monsters are, then go back later in the fall/early winter when they are more active, or have moved around due to the spawn. I know I sound like a broken record, but a lot of people just don't believe the size of fish in these places. I have went as far as to show pics to people, and they still think you got the fish somewhere else. Hilarious. But I guess good for those that get it.

Good to hear that this is another place with that caliber of trout.

Posted on: 2013/11/1 14:39

My colleagues have told me that it is no longer what it was for large trout when I used to fish it religiously for big browns 1976-1979). I lived a mile from the stream at the time and fished it about every other evening during the summer when I was not working away from the area. Nevertheless, at that time, we once electrofished a single pass for 1.5 miles and handled 270 brown trout fourteen inches long and longer. Twenty-seven were 20 inches long and longer. The longest was 27 inches. At the time it was the probably the best stream in the state for large browns. It was a very heavily pressured stream, but the large browns were not impacted by the pressure brought on by stocking over these fish. They were only occasionally caught by those anglers attracted to the stockings. Most of the big browns were caught after the stocking crowd had left most of the stockies had been harvested.

Posted on: 2013/11/1 18:06

From lancaster county
Quote:
My colleagues have told me that it is no longer what it was for large trout when I used to fish it religiously for big browns 1976-1979).

Maybe not but when I was there the last time, just this past year, i rolled one large brown and spooked another. Maybe not what it used to be but still has the potential to produce large fish.

Its a great little stream for sure.

Posted on: 2013/11/2 15:58

From Hunker
Just got done fishing logan branch for 2 hours. cloudy skies, drizzle, again and saw a good number of fish, saw a few around the 15" mark. Missed 1 on a weenie and that was it. Tryed the dry techniques on the banks but they were just so spooky. Tried a bugger but they flicked me the bird cause it had a beadhead on it... Damn these are some tough fish

Posted on: 2013/11/2 18:51

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com