Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Locust Creek, Schuylkill County, 4/2/2011

From St.Clair
My apologies for posting this 2 days late, but have been busy fishing for the weekend. Started here in the morning, got 6 or 7 right off the bat in the morning on Pheasant Tails. Once the crowd died down, wandered around a bit, got 3 more stockies and five wild trout all on a San Juan. From here, went to the the Little Schuylkill DHALO. Relatively no bug activity, but still managed to nymph up two nice fish. Lastly, hit up Cold Run to finish my day. People were everywhere, So just found a spot where there was no cars, and managed 5 tiny brookies. Overall, not too bad of an opening day.

Posted on: 2011/4/3 22:04

Re: Locust Creek, Schuylkill County, 4/2/2011

From West Lawn, PA
I love all three of those streams. Thanks for the report. Hope to get up there in a few weeks after it is "fished out."

Posted on: 2011/4/4 7:10

From rock glen, pa
I fished locust creek too on 4/2/11 late morning 'cause i worked the night before. There were bait chuckers everywere. I picked up 12 or so all on b.h. hares ears and pheasant tails. Most of the day was enjoyable except for all the guys bitchin that the pfbc don't stock enough fish and how $32 for a fishing lisc. is way too much for a whole year of enjoyment. But I guess if I only fished the first day of the season I would complain about this too.
Anyone have thoughts on this. Just wondering

Posted on: 2011/4/4 13:36

From rock glen, pa
I fished locust creek too on 4/2/11 late morning 'cause i worked the night before. There were bait chuckers everywere. I picked up 12 or so all on b.h. hares ears and pheasant tails. Most of the day was enjoyable except for all the guys bitchin that the pfbc don't stock enough fish and how $32 for a fishing lisc. is way too much for a whole year of enjoyment. But I guess if I only fished the first day of the season I would complain about this too.

Posted on: 2011/4/4 13:37

From Eastern PA
Quote:

jrflyfish wrote:
Most of the day was enjoyable except for all the guys bitchin that the pfbc don't stock enough fish and how $32 for a fishing lisc. is way too much for a whole year of enjoyment. But I guess if I only fished the first day of the season I would complain about this too.

Buy a single day license obviously.

Posted on: 2011/4/4 14:08

From St.Clair
Locust and cold run are both amazing streams, good number of wilds.. Plenty of stickies to be caught after the tons of powerbait runs it's course through the stream.

Posted on: 2011/4/4 20:11

From Sullivan County, Pa
Fished on Locust in the morning, picked up a good number of stockies. We then headed to the confluence of locust and little schuykill did very well from there down to paradise hole. Caught some nice brown on the Schuykill, any thoughts on whether or not the Schuykill around this area has a popluation of wild fish? Thanks!

Posted on: 2011/4/4 20:37

From Harrisburg
Quote:
Buy a single day license obviously.

The PFBC foresaw this and do not allow the single day until later in the season. Resident or not.

Posted on: 2011/4/4 22:05

From Greensburg, PA
...or for 32 dollars you can sit here for three hours on the third Saturday in April. I'll take the stream.

Attach file:

jpg  36 - PNC section 325.jpg (348.12 KB)
49_4d9a801adc0fe.jpg 2096X1181 px

Posted on: 2011/4/4 22:36

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
It's quite high for those who fish only 1 or 2 days per year, I understand those complaints, and I'm not one of these guys who thinks these guys shouldn't be fishing at all. They're out enjoying it just like us, and for a myriad of different reasons, they just don't do it as often.

It's quite low for avid fishermen.

Tough spot for the PFBC. The most fair way to do it would be to charge per hour or per day of use. But I see no viable way to do that.

Posted on: 2011/4/5 13:23

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Quote:

tomgamber wrote:
...or for 32 dollars you can sit here for three hours on the third Saturday in April. I'll take the stream.

you couldnt pay me 32 dollars to go to a bucco's game. No I'm not a Pittsburgh bandwagon jumper and only root for the good teams... just dislike baseball.

Posted on: 2011/4/5 13:32

From Mechanicsburg, Pa
I never understood the meat fishing logic. They seemed shocked that the streams were all fished out and the trout were scarce. Meanwhile I saw many 4 or 5 fish stringers.

I also heard complaints about small fish and not enough of them. I fished near Harrisburg opening day and while I did well, I struggled for double digits.Surprisingly I caught more wild trout than stocked which I suppose is a good thing. Depends on where you were at though.

On Sunday I went fishing near Allentown and I caught over 50 including two large trout over 19". I was quite happy to see the catch and release ethic prevalent at the Allentown Creeks which added greatly to my fishing enjoyment on Sunday. Kudos to the Allentown spin and bait fishermen who were gracious enough to release their catch so others may enjoy great fishing!

Posted on: 2011/4/5 21:17

Quote:

jrflyfish wrote:
Most of the day was enjoyable except for all the guys bitchin that the pfbc don't stock enough fish and how $32 for a fishing lisc. is way too much for a whole year of enjoyment. But I guess if I only fished the first day of the season I would complain about this too.

You were in the wrong neck of the woods if you did not want to hear that type of talk!

Posted on: 2011/4/7 20:50

Locust Creek and Cold Run are two streams that shouldn't be stocked. They hold enough wild fish to provide a decent fishery(in most years: both suffer from low flows most summers so rainfall is a HUGE limting factor ). The fact that those poor native and wild trout have to suffer through the opening day onslaught AND share space/food/cover with stocked trout year after year is ridiculous. These are exactly the type of streams that should be managed better. Hopefully with the push to further protect wild trout in Pa, streams like this will no longer be stocked so the wild and native trout can try reaching their full potentials. I for one will be glad to see the crowds and the trash they leave behind go away. Whatever would be stocked in them just toss into larger and less fragile trout streams or lakes. I think the Area Fisheries Manager would agree with me on this. What do you say Mike K.?

As for a license, I pay an out of state fee and still think we all get off very cheap compared to other things. I go out at least 100X a year for bass or trout so I definitely get my $ worth. I don't keep a single fish either - all C&R. If they charged $150 per year, it would still be fair. I wish they would because they could use that money for things like buying/leasing riparian land and/or spend it on stream improvement.

NJA

Posted on: 2011/4/8 7:12

If and when Class B stream sections presently in the stocking program are no longer permitted to be included in the trout stocking program, these streams will most likely be candidates for removal. The previous discussion about the lack of legal brookies and the low density of other wild brook trout in Cold Run's stocked section just prior to opening day suggests that the stocking program would have minimal impact there, as would the very low stocking rate, the use of rainbow trout, which can be quickly harvested from cold water, and the very limited movement of rainbows from the four stocking locations in Cold Run. Quickly harvest the stocked trout and most stocked trout anglers will head elsewhere.

Posted on: 2011/4/8 21:00

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes
No
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com