Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Locust Creek, Schuylkill County, 4/2/2011

From lancaster county
Quote:
Quickly harvest the stocked trout and most stocked trout anglers will head elsewhere.

Dont stock it and they go else where even faster. just sayin.....

Posted on: 2011/4/9 1:40

From St.Clair
I agree these areas shouldn't be stocked, every time I go to them on opening day I see dead wild brooks and browns. They have both a wild trout fishery that is dense enough to be enjoyed by anglers. If and when stocking of these streams stops, the wild trout population can only go up

Posted on: 2011/4/9 10:39

njk3395 stated : If and when stocking of these streams stops, the wild trout population can only go up

Response: I disagree. There are not guarantees in this regard. As we have discussed before in Pa freestone brook trout populations have generally responded favorably to termination of stocking, but not all have responded favorably. Northkill Creek in my region did not. The population was Class B when stocking was terminated; it briefly improved to a very low Class A and then precipitously declined to a high Class C. As for the termination of stocking over Class A wild freestone brown trout populations, of the 40 test streams, biomass increased in 20, decreased in 16, and stayed the same in 4. With freestone brown trout streams stocking termination responses are, in effect, a crap shoot: about 50% go up and 50% go down..

Posted on: 2011/4/9 11:56

Please don't misunderstand me. Weather and climate control trout pops much more than angling pressure/harvest ever could. I have fished stocked waters that hold wild fish going back thirty years. Some stocked waters are quite good for wilds despite 50+ years of stocking. Cold Run on more than one occasion has produced in excess of 50 wild trout in one day as has Locust Creek. These are of course "best days" and not the norm but goes to show their potential given a few consecutive years of good precip, temps and high survival rates of YOY fish. My point is these waters are only fished and known because of the stockings otherwise they'd be barely talked about or fished(which would be a good thing). Its not like there is a lack of trout fishing opportunities nearby for stocked fish so why these streams need to be seems odd.

Trout pop estimates can vary widely from year to year and even season to season so I see the PFBC surveys as insufficient data. A class "C" stream can easily rise to class "A" status for a year or two just as a class "A" can fall to class "C" status for a year or two. A severe flood or drought or hot spell can really zap a population. Similarly 2 or 3 years of good flows and temps can have many streams teeming with wild trout. I've have fished some class "A" streams where some years 15 trout is my best day and fished class "C" or even "D" streams where I'll get 50, 75 even a hundred wild trout in a day. Trying to categorize an ever changing and fluctuating entity like a trout stream is nearly impossible. Basically it boils down to two categories - wild trout present and wild trout not present. Start there and then proceed with where to stock.

Posted on: 2011/4/10 10:04

From St.Clair
If locust and cold run were unstocked, they would be untouched except for fly anglers. There would be no stocked bows eating brookies. And, anglers wouldn't be killing the wilds. Idk, I think cold run is the main concern. It is loaded with wilds, every hole or pocket water has wild fish. Locust creek isn't nearly as dense.

Posted on: 2011/4/10 20:40

"Untouched except for fly anglers?" That is hardly the objective there or anywhere else in Pa., except in FFO areas, and even in FFO areas the regulation restricting use to fly anglers is biologically unnecessary.

Posted on: 2011/4/11 8:24

From St.Clair
I should have reworded that to fisherman with some care for the wild fish population, which is most of the time fly fisherman.

Posted on: 2011/4/11 8:30

From lancaster county
Quote:
"Untouched except for fly anglers?" That is hardly the objective there or anywhere else in Pa., except in FFO areas, and even in FFO areas the regulation restricting use to fly anglers is biologically unnecessary.

If a stream is not stocked, use is not restricted to fly anglers only. Anyone can fish the stream under general regulations. The PFBC has created a rubber fish culture and those anglers wont fish there because it is not stocked.

This is not the fault of fly anglers.

Posted on: 2011/4/11 11:15

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Here we go again.....

Posted on: 2011/4/11 13:54

From Schuylkill County
I live one mile from Locust Creek, four miles from Cold Run.

Every year during the opening day onslaught (and a week or so after) there are a significant number of legal size brookies harvested from these streams. Then by next year more grow, waiting to be harvested again. Plus add in all the smaller brookies that swallow the hook, or are mishandled, and are thrown back to become food for the animals and you have a considerable "artificial" hit to the population.

I've seen this for more years than I want to remember.

Stop stocking and I really believe there will be more and bigger brookies in these waters.

No scientific evidence to prove this, just my opinion from years of observation and fishing the streams.

John

Posted on: 2011/4/12 12:30
if you look at it right...

How about only stock it below Tuscarora down to the Little Schuylkill?

When people don't see the white fish truck in the other section, they won't fish it. Then, maybe you'll see some 10 inch brookies.

Posted on: 2011/4/12 15:14

From Jersey Shore, PA
Let me suggest something. Those who value wild trout and recognize that a particular stream harbors a significant wild trout population and is stocked may be able to do something to help. You have the right, just as any other fisherman, to harvest 5 trout per day. If you're really concerned that the stocked trout may negatively impact the wild trout population you can go frequently and harvest, legally, every hatchery fish you can bring to hand. The faster you can remove them from these streams the less they will impact the wild trout population.

I've been known to do this more than once on a stream or two here in the north central part of the state. Some of these streams harbor wild trout populations which exceed the minimum for class A population; however, they are not "officially" class A because they haven't been approved by PFBC to be added to the list.

BTW, I'm glad to see that others realize that trout management isn't an exact science. Too many variables in nature over which we have no control. Without considering droughts and floods in the equation we're looking at trout management too simplistically. When stocking is ceased and trout density/population is examined subsequent to this action there must be consideration given to uncontrollable factors having contributed to survey results.

I could go on and on but there's too much to read here already.

Dave R.

Posted on: 2011/4/12 17:06

From St.Clair
I keep every stocked trout out of there, I kept ten or so from each so far.

Posted on: 2011/4/12 17:22

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com