Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Little Lehigh Creek, Lehigh Co., 12/31/10

From Lehigh Valley
C'mon guys - you know the law.

WE own the water. We own ALL moving waters in PA.

WE own the land on both sides, and the stream bottom.

It's a public park - it belongs to the public. That's us.

The Allentown Parks Department was NOT consulted prior to the signs being removed - at least not the Director of the Parks Department, nor the Parks Department person in charge of that section of park/stream. I spoke to both of them. The secretary that answered my call didn't know about it, and she asked around the office, and no one heard a thing. Their first word on this was my phone call. The Parks Department works for us - the public. So does the PFBC.

The Parks Department maintains the park for public use. This is for all of the public, not just fishermen. Where possible, they try to do what they can to protect the resource. They've allowed a riparian buffer to grow along MOST of the stream. It's a balancing act that they've done a pretty good job with over the years. They've also been VERY responsive to anything that they can do to improve the stream quality. In short- they care.

IF the Little Lehigh TU chapter gets resurrected, they will have a powerful ally in the Parks Department. Manpower, equipment, materials - they've provided it all, many times.

Posted on: 2011/1/9 18:10

From lancaster county
Quote:
C'mon guys - you know the law. WE own the water. We own ALL moving waters in PA. WE own the land on both sides, and the stream bottom. It's a public park - it belongs to the public. That's us. The Allentown Parks Department was NOT consulted prior to the signs being removed - at least not the Director of the Parks Department, nor the Parks Department person in charge of that section of park/stream. I spoke to both of them. The secretary that answered my call didn't know about it, and she asked around the office, and no one heard a thing. Their first word on this was my phone call. The Parks Department works for us - the public. So does the PFBC. The Parks Department maintains the park for public use. This is for all of the public, not just fishermen. Where possible, they try to do what they can to protect the resource. They've allowed a riparian buffer to grow along MOST of the stream. It's a balancing act that they've done a pretty good job with over the years. They've also been VERY responsive to anything that they can do to improve the stream quality. In short- they care. IF the Little Lehigh TU chapter gets resurrected, they will have a powerful ally in the Parks Department. Manpower, equipment, materials - they've provided it all, many times.

Good post and your right. I must admit I'm distracted by football today lol

Posted on: 2011/1/9 18:20

Quote:

Heritage-Angler wrote:
C'mon guys - you know the law.

WE own the water. We own ALL moving waters in PA.

WE own the land on both sides, and the stream bottom.

It's a public park - it belongs to the public. That's us.

The Allentown Parks Department was NOT consulted prior to the signs being removed - at least not the Director of the Parks Department, nor the Parks Department person in charge of that section of park/stream. I spoke to both of them. The secretary that answered my call didn't know about it, and she asked around the office, and no one heard a thing. Their first word on this was my phone call. The Parks Department works for us - the public. So does the PFBC.

The Parks Department maintains the park for public use. This is for all of the public, not just fishermen. Where possible, they try to do what they can to protect the resource. They've allowed a riparian buffer to grow along MOST of the stream. It's a balancing act that they've done a pretty good job with over the years. They've also been VERY responsive to anything that they can do to improve the stream quality. In short- they care.

IF the Little Lehigh TU chapter gets resurrected, they will have a powerful ally in the Parks Department. Manpower, equipment, materials - they've provided it all, many times.

I am moving to Allentown. I love to kayak small streams. Does this mean I can Kayak the heritage section? Considering it's a public park-owned by the public, it would be cool, right??

Posted on: 2011/1/10 9:49

From The Hilton
Quote:

I am moving to Allentown. I love to kayak small streams. Does this mean I can Kayak the heritage section? Considering it's a public park-owned by the public, it would be cool, right??

You wouldnt be the first to do it. It happened last year durning the trico hatch!

Posted on: 2011/1/10 10:58

From Monessen, PA
Ah, nothing like drift-boating the trico hatch on Spring. Put in at Benner and float to the Paradise.

Posted on: 2011/1/10 11:47

-- Leo Tolstoy

From The Hilton
They were drunk already at 9am they werent using kayaks it was just innertubes. The one got stuck on a rock below the 78 bridge and instead of getting off the tub and moving from the rock he sat there and rocked back and forth for at least ten min.

Posted on: 2011/1/10 12:17

Thats the time to put on a #6 wooly bugger and see what you can hook, I mean catch.

Posted on: 2011/1/10 13:15

From Eastern PA
Quote:
The one got stuck on a rock below the 78 bridge and instead of getting off the tub and moving from the rock he sat there and rocked back and forth for at least ten min.

At least you think that's what he was doing for ten minutes. There is some serious talent jogging around those trails.

Floating the LL reminds me of an experience Sight_Nymph had last year. He and his buddy, both very single, were floating down the D (of course, on an epic 16 mile float) when they saw something floating down stream. It was two young girls (Hancock 9's) floating down the river . . . on an inflatable mattress. The girls engage SN and his buddy. The girls shared their beer with the guys and the guys shared their smokes (not good smoke, stupid cloves). These girls stayed with them the whole time . . . . on a mattress . . . . in swimsuits . . . . tolerating SN's jawing. The girls miss their take out point (they were not 16 mile floating because they are smart) and SN quickly points out to them that they missing their take out and gets them back to it! How could he not let them miss the take out and further enjoy their company? They were drinking and sharing beer. They were on a MATTRESS half naked. I just cannot figure that one out.

I hope there is further discussion on this new regulation. I am particularly interested if they changed Fisherman Paradise as well.

Posted on: 2011/1/10 15:03

From The Hilton
Hancock 9's lol that almost made me spit my dip out!

Posted on: 2011/1/10 15:24

From lancaster county
Quote:
I just cannot figure that one out.

He liked his buddy more

Posted on: 2011/1/10 15:31

From Eastern PA
Quote:

Alpabuck wrote:
Hancock 9's lol that almost made me spit my dip out!

Ya, I think Jay or Nate came up with "Hancock Hot".

Posted on: 2011/1/10 22:42

From LV
What the Parks dept. has allowed to grow is a very narrow strip of vegetation, hardly a riparian buffer. A riparian buffer means mature vegetation. For years the only thing that was growing along the stream were non-native plants like weeping willow, from China.
They did some work in the mid-nineties and it's all been undone by nature, every time a tree falls in the stream they are there the next day or even within hours to cut it up. That is NOT a riparian buffer.
We can't be caught up in a fight about whether we should or should not wade, there are much larger fish to fry.

Posted on: 2011/1/11 21:32

Quote:

JackM wrote:
Ah, nothing like drift-boating the trico hatch on Spring. Put in at Benner and float to the Paradise.

I haven't seen any driftboats yet. But there are people who put in kayaks at Benner and boat on down.

A boating group in State College proposed an official launch site for kayaker and canoers in the Benner vicinity. They proposed this during the creation of the "Master Plan" document for the Spring Creek Canyon.

Posted on: 2011/1/11 22:57

From Monessen, PA
River-runners and anglers can cooperate in setting up some time-zones for launching at different locations if the disturbance ever gets so bad. My small experience on Spring is that for every one kayak, there are 20-200 wading anglers using the creek. Every angler will have his location disturbed for about 4 minutes-- max. If that starts to be more than a mere annoyance, then establishing launch times with the property owners at launch and takeout sites will alleviate much of the conflict.

Posted on: 2011/1/12 6:54

-- Leo Tolstoy

From SE PA
I think there are enough dams in the Heritage section to discourage boaters.

(I count 8 on Bing Maps in that section.)

Posted on: 2011/1/12 11:23

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com