Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Little Lehigh - PFBC Electro-Survey, Lehigh County 7/18/13

Was walking the Heritage this morning and chanced upon the state doing a electro survey.Watched them work the deep runs below the "kiddie pool" to a point above that before the heat got me and I left.
As expected many,many trout were present,Saw some nice native browns (15"+) and lots of RT that were of good size (12"+),and many small native browns.Of interest were a few RT that the workers said were native (8-10"),I wondered in the past if they were spawning and that confirms it.In the mix were a few brookies that were obvious stockies,one was about 14".From what I saw there is a healthy population of trout in the LL,not like it used to be but still a good number.
By the way before I met up with the shocking crew I observed a good hatch with many risers on other spots of the stream,also saw a few caught.By ten AM the flys were all but gone for the day.

Posted on: 2013/7/18 12:53

Re: Little Lehigh - PFBC Electro-Survey, Lehigh County 7/18/13
From Gettysburg
Good to hear, esp the small RTs.

(Note, I edited the title line to fit the Stream Reports forum standard. Although this isn't a fly fishing report, it is germane enough to stay in this forum. DaveW)

Posted on: 2013/7/18 13:01

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

troutwilleatflies wrote:
Was walking the Heritage this morning...

Well that explains why my feet hurt.

Must have just missed you. I was there around 6:30 to take some water temperature readings for a friend. I took readings at several spots, and they were all pretty much the same.

64.6 degrees at 6:41 AM. Wish I could have got a reading at 5PM or so, just to see if it went up much....

Posted on: 2013/7/18 19:08

From Ohio
Quote:
Saw some nice native browns (15"+) and lots of RT that were of good size (12"+),and many small native browns.Of interest were a few RT that the workers said were native (8-10")

So who's gonna be the first one to break the news to him? Lol just messin with ya. Sounds like the stream's in great shape.

Posted on: 2013/7/18 23:47

Quote:

streamerguy wrote:
[quote]Saw some nice native browns (15"+) and lots of RT that were of good size (12"+),and many small native browns.Of interest were a few RT that the workers said were native (8-10")

So who's gonna be the first one to break the news to him? Lol just messin with ya. Sounds like the stream's in great shape.[/quote

Yes it's still a fine stream with a good population of trout.But I have been fishing this stream for 60+ years,and as good as some think it is now it was much better in the 40's,50's,60's,and as recent as 10 -15 yrs ago,believe me when I tell you it was a "premier" trout stream in the past.

PS: Just noticed you're from Ohio,that would explain your thinking as chances are you have never seen the LL,now or in the past.

Posted on: 2013/7/19 10:59

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
The news he is talking about is just something that gets people to "voice their correctness" about a word in your post.

Native = They were originally there (only certain brook trout in PA)

Wild = they were born in the stream. (All browns and rainbows, some brookies)

No big deal, but ruffles some peoples feathers when the wrong one is used.

Nice report. Now go figure out what they were rising to and follow up with another report and some fish pictures!

Posted on: 2013/7/19 11:09

From Ohio
Yeah I was talking about the term "native" as ryguyfi pointed out. Like he said no big deal, but some people get annoyed by it and like to bust other peoples' chops for using the term incorrectly. No biggie, I've even made the mistake on here before. And btw good report. And you're right, I've never seen the LL and probably never will lol, but I do know it doesn't have native browns or bows

Posted on: 2013/7/19 12:21

I see I fell for the "native vs wild" debate LOL. The American Indian is the "native" and the rest of us born in the USA are "wild" LMAO

Posted on: 2013/7/19 13:05

From Oxford, Chester Co., PA
twef: sixty plus years on the Little Lehigh; quite a record. Sounds like the title of a book. Did you ever meet Jim Leisenring?

Posted on: 2013/7/20 22:40

Those 60 yrs included my early childhood,later on I spent some time with Al Miller but don't know if I ever met Jim.

Posted on: 2013/7/21 14:20

From Chester County
Quote:

troutwilleatflies wrote:
Quote:

streamerguy wrote:
[quote]Saw some nice native browns (15"+) and lots of RT that were of good size (12"+),and many small native browns.Of interest were a few RT that the workers said were native (8-10")

So who's gonna be the first one to break the news to him? Lol just messin with ya. Sounds like the stream's in great shape.[/quote

Yes it's still a fine stream with a good population of trout.But I have been fishing this stream for 60+ years,and as good as some think it is now it was much better in the 40's,50's,60's,and as recent as 10 -15 yrs ago,believe me when I tell you it was a "premier" trout stream in the past.

PS: Just noticed you're from Ohio,that would explain your thinking as chances are you have never seen the LL,now or in the past.

Wow TWEF.....great stuff. I'd love to hear about what the stream looked like back then, how it fished, hatches, wild vs. stocked fish, etc.

Posted on: 2013/7/21 16:31

I remember fishing it in the early 60s when they opened the heritage stretch. .There was a cable bridge at the head of the kiddie pool. A lot lf the stream improvements have washed away or are silted in so you can barely see them unless you remember them from before. There was also a lot of vegetation and the hatches were better than they are now, although it looks like they are slowly coming back. You could keep 1 trout 20" or larger. IT ended at the fireman's bridge ( the one below the fly shop).

I remember 2 guys fishing there, 1 above the bridge and 1 below , the guy above was catching trout and killing them and letting them float to the guy below. The rest of the story is , the warden was watching them from above and when they had a few he nabbed them.

Posted on: 2013/7/22 11:01

Quote:

LouM wrote:

There was also a lot of vegetation and the hatches were better than they are now, although it looks like they are slowly coming back.

What were the changes in the vegetation? Are you referring to vegetation in the water, or vegetation along the stream/

Posted on: 2013/7/22 11:08

In a nut shell .......the LL was a much cleaner looking stream back then with lots of vegetation on the bottom in the slower stretches.To give you a idea of the bugs then vs now I remember Sulphur hatches that looked like a blizzard in reverse,and the stream surface covered with LARGE rising trout.This was at the Heritage before it was the Heritage and was open to all tackle.I remember being there with my father and driving along Fish Hatchery road and after getting across the covered bridge my father stopped the car to clean the bugs off the windshield,we could n't see because of the bug splatter.The major happening that destroyed the LL was the installation of sanitary sewer lines in the 60's,they ripped the entire upper stream apart as no one oversaw that then it seems.Then when the sewer was available came the development and lots of sediment and run off.To add insult to injury now those sewer lines are overflowing with raw sewerage when there is a high water event.
It's not what it used to be and probably never will be again....ever!

Posted on: 2013/7/22 11:55

From Gettysburg
Troutwilleatflies,
Please check your PM.

Posted on: 2013/7/22 12:04

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com