Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Little Lehigh - PFBC Electro-Survey, Lehigh County 7/18/13

From LV
I've been fishing the LL for years and have never seen even a minimum of vegetation, I wonder where you guys used to see it. The LL has always been a silty slow moving stream, and the problems of the stream are not solely due to expanded devlopment. Much of what we see now is a result of the parks people putting in "stream improvements" that don't work as intended.
Not to mention that for years, until recently they mowed the banks and removed all the vegetation holding the soil there.

Posted on: 2013/7/25 10:15

Chaz,I remember when the LL did n't flow like the muddy Mississippi every time it rains,it would get a milky green color.This was back a few years ago,like 50.There was lots of vegetation in many of the slower deeper sections thru out the parkway,now it's that silt you see today.The "grow zone" that the parks dept has gone to is a good thing,but the silt you see today is there because of upstream development not because of mowing the grass.Also,when the farmers pulled out all the fence rows and stopped strip farming and went to huge plowed fields there was nothing to stop that run off along the creek.By the way those stream improvements were installed by others not the parks dept.Some helped ,some did n't,and most have been degraded over the years.

Posted on: 2013/7/25 13:43

From Glenmoore PA
Kind of sad to think what that stream could be. I learned how to fly fish on the LL and I consider my home water, even though I live in Downingtown now. Doesn't seem like development in the area will let up.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 11:47

From LV
The high for that day set a record, rest assured the stream temp went up, probably over 70.

Posted on: 2013/8/8 21:00

I've only been fishing the LL for about 30 years, but I'm from the other side of the Lehigh Valley and have fished the Bushkill, Monocacy, and Musconetcong in NJ for 50 years. All had extensive weed beds back in the day and the weed beds were filled with scuds which the trout fed on 12 months a year. NJ used to stock culls in the fall and they grew at a good rate all winter in the Muskie. The frog water above the Binney and Smith dam was solid weeds and had plenty of freely rising, but awfully difficult to hook, trout. My guess is that the sediment load increased to the point where the unstable bottom didn't allow the plants to take hold. The Bushkill and Muskie both also have very fine gray sediment that coats plants and can't help. In the Bushkill drainage the fines from the cement quarries adds to the development issues.

Finally, development brings more hard surface and I have seen many springs disappear with resulting higher temperatures in the summer, fewer thermal refuges, and quicker response to a rainfall. Although, the Bushkill with much of its upper stretches on farmland with shale bedrock always muddied soon after a storm.

Posted on: 2013/8/16 9:54

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com