Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Little Juniata, Huntingdon Co, 8-4-13

From South central PA
I fished the little J sunday 8-4 at the New Enterprise blasting site, from the bridge towards birmingham about a mile from 10-1. Water was 66-67 degrees, saw a few caddis and a couple bwos in the air. Fished a hopper with the green weenie dropper, landed 14 missed about half as many more, all on the weenie. One fish over 12, and had a long distance release on one i guestimated to be 15. Water is low, didnt catch anything for first half hour when i lengthened my leader out to 14', from then on it was golden.

Evan

Posted on: 2013/8/5 11:41

Edited by Fishidiot on 2013/8/19 8:44:14

Re: Little Juniata 8-4-13

From Mechanicsburg, Pa
Thanks for the info. Do you ever get any takers on hoppers at the Little J?

Posted on: 2013/8/5 12:48

From South central PA
You'll catch trout on hoppers there, i had one rise to the hopper i was using but didnt commit.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 7:24

From State College PA
I'm sorry this is not a one upsmanship post over ebrant10, just a different opinion.
An enigma to people who fish the J around here (and this was discussed among a number of local J regulars) is that how ineffective hoppers are. Many have tried for years. There are some sections, one by the two bridges area for example, that are loaded with hoppers along the bank. Yet, fish do not feed on them. You can get an occasional fish to hit a hopper pattern, but I liken that to the type of fish that hit strike indicators and abnormal offerings-out of blind aggression. The thought is that too few hoppers actually make it into the J. They just aren't a significant food source. It's sort of like the beginning of the cicada hatch a few years ago in central PA. It took the fish a good week or longer to get on them. Fish have to be introduced to them as a food source. If that item does not regularly present itself, the fish ignore it.
You can try it and I would be interested in reading the experiences of others that contradict my opinion. A description of the pattern would be appreciated.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 7:56

From Cambria County
I love fishing terrestrials this time of year. Hoppers on the J have been a bust for me though. Ants have been productive along the banks. Lost a beauty right at my feet on the biggest, ugliest spider pattern I've ever seen. Not even sure where it came from, but it was in my box. I saw a him rising over and over under a bush and he wouldn't take anything I threw at him. Splashed that big spider on his head and he hit it immediately.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 8:39

From South central PA
I can say i do totally agree, its not like a meadow stream, i catch them on the hopper from time to time on the j, like i said i had one rise to it but only one. Maybe its me but i just feel like a hopper in lower water is a good indicator compared to a thingamobobber or a yarn indicator. Thats the only reason i used the hopper to be honest, just for a good indicator to see from a distance that isnt unnatural looking. Ive really fallen head over heals for this river, its about an hour away from me and has become my favorite of the central PA streams i travel to.

Evan

Posted on: 2013/8/6 11:10

My experience has been that ants work better than hoppers nearly everywhere in central PA. I also think there is more of a tendency for people to blind-cast hoppers. During the summer, when the water tends to be low, blind-casting isn't the most effective strategy.

There are a few stretches in central PA where I fish hoppers with good success. However, probably you'll do better on an ant almost everywhere, even in those stretches. I don't know why. Fish like the ant.

Posted on: 2013/8/8 8:02

From Chester County
Quote:

midnightangler wrote:
My experience has been that ants work better than hoppers nearly everywhere in central PA. I also think there is more of a tendency for people to blind-cast hoppers. During the summer, when the water tends to be low, blind-casting isn't the most effective strategy.

There are a few stretches in central PA where I fish hoppers with good success. However, probably you'll do better on an ant almost everywhere, even in those stretches. I don't know why. Fish like the ant.

I've found the same thing in most streams around here, while hoppers are king outwest. My theory is hoppers are not generally found in the wooded areas most of us fish in PA, while ants (and beetles) are very common. In a stream with banks of grasses and fields, I would guess hoppers would be more prevalent and more effective to fish.

Second, outwest, fish are kinda easy to fool in general. Many of the rivers and streams are packed with fish and they don't often see the amount of angler pressure we see around here.

Third, hopper patterns look a lot like big stoneflies. I believe the fish may take a hopper because they see quite a few big stones hatch on some rivers outwest.

Ants and beetles are my go-to terrestrial patterns around here.

Posted on: 2013/8/8 8:32

From Dauphin PA
I have had good results up there on big cricket patterns. Anyone else use them on the j?

Posted on: 2013/8/8 11:16

From Pittsburgh
Buzz... sting!

Posted on: 2013/8/8 11:46

From Pittsburgh
Quote:

David wrote:
Buzz... sting!

I actually did get stung there last year with Albatross. Honey bee was hitchhiking on my vest and I rested my forearm on him. Arm swelled up good but the bee got the worst of it.

Posted on: 2013/8/8 15:59

From West Chester, PA
I agree with Kray - crickets on the J and other central PA waters. They are effective, tied in a more natural color and a bit smaller than most hoppers.

I think hoppers are over-rated, even out west. Cool to fish em but you have to be on the right water at the right time...

Sorry that this post got off topic - good report. Thanks for sharing, it is always nice to spend some time up that way....

Posted on: 2013/8/9 7:20

From Mechanicsburg, Pa
Thanks for the replies. Someone told me fishing hoppers at the J was futile. Looks like he was right. Yellow Creek about 40 miles south has always been my go to place to try out new hopper patterns.

Posted on: 2013/8/9 8:14

From Pittsburgh
Quote:

turkey wrote:
Quote:

David wrote:
Buzz... sting!

I actually did get stung there last year with Albatross. Honey bee was hitchhiking on my vest and I rested my forearm on him. Arm swelled up good but the bee got the worst of it.

That can be scary... swelling up knowing you'd have a long hike out to get help. Glad you are ok!

Albie actually gave me a bee as part of my winnings for the PAFF fantasy football one year. I was working way upriver and got caught in a short torrential downpour. After the rain stopped there was that typical mudline from shore to about 3 feet out. I pounded that line with the bee and got a good number fish.
It wasn't the first time a bee imitation worked just in that manner...

Posted on: 2013/8/9 9:02

From Mechanicsburg, Pa
Thanks for the replies. Someone told me fishing hoppers at the J was futile. Looks like he was right. Yellow Creek about 40 miles south has always been my go to place to try out new hopper patterns.

Posted on: 2013/8/9 18:06

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com