Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Lititz Run, Lancaster County, 3/27/09

The whole stream is pellet fed? How long is the stream? I thought this stream was hard in the aspect of weary trout not pellet fed trout. Kinda lame. I'll still go though b/c I never fished it before.

Posted on: 2009/3/30 19:11

From lancaster county
Well im guessing its about 5 miles or more. They top section (through Lititz isnt pellet fed. Its channelized with very limited trout.
The next section through the Raparian(sp) park is first day water. That section is small. After that (on the Banta Property) is closed to fishing. They stocked 10,000 fingerlings to see if they will survive.

The Conservany is the next section (about a mile?) is pellet fed and requires a badge to fish.

From there is some open water that is unstocked and not pellet fed (about .25 miles?) The Catch and Release water is after that (open to everyone and about 1 mile or 1 1/2 mile. That is pellet fed. After that is open water again and is unstocked and not pellet fed.

Oh they are very wary. They even hang around the edges of the stream waiting for anglers to walk by. As much as they are fed they are also fished for. I tell anyone that is going to fish the stream to fish the stream banks first with very long casts.

Posted on: 2009/3/30 19:15

Who feeds them Pellets? The general public?

Posted on: 2009/3/30 19:17

From lancaster county
Donegal TU did for a very long time. Some people do also. And if I remember the Farmers might also.

That is why there are so many large fish. Old and fed to being ridiculous. Interestingly enough most people dont think there are big fish until someone feeds them. They hide very well.

In the Conservancy Barn is a Large Trash Can filled with the darn things.

Posted on: 2009/3/30 19:19

I am sure there are some hogs in there. Like I said before the whole pellet thing is LAMO. Why do they do that?

Posted on: 2009/3/30 19:27

From lancaster county
You got me *shrugs*

Posted on: 2009/3/30 19:33

Quote:

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
ok true. but those fish want real food. On lititz they dont. Ive heard people here say that Lititz fish are as hard as Letort fish.

That is probably true. But not b/c they are wild weary trout. It's b/c people are feeding them pellets. So to catch fish it sounds like a matter of luck rather then skill. I don't see how you could disagree with this statement b/c it'll just contradict everything you just wrote above.

Posted on: 2009/3/30 19:33

From Hollidaysburg (originally Lititz)
I grew up fishing Lititz Run and learned how to fish fly-fish in the C & R section. I recently moved to Philly for school and have fished Valley a few times. I would say that Valley Crk. is more difficult; however, I am not nearly as familiar with the stream as I am with Lititz Run. In particular, I think that the sub-surface fishing is harder at Valley Creek. Dry fly-fishing is equally challenging on both, IMO. The best surface action I have had on both was with midges and terrestrials, but I only began fishing Valley in the late summer. Maybe after this spring, I'll change my mind. As for the pellets, the fishing can be excellent for about 5-10 minutes if you are lucky enough to be out when the farmer decides the fish are hungry and you remembered to bring a pellet fly. Pellet feeding is the only thing on Lititz that brings a lot of fish to the surface. The hatches will bring a few here and there, but pellet feeding time is like a sulphur hatch on a freestone stream. JustFish, when you get to fishing at Lititz Run, be sure to take a few wooly buggers. They are my go-to fly when nothing else is working at Lititz. Scuds, midges, small nymphs, occasional BWOs, caddis pupae and emergers, etc. will all take fish at Lititz Run; however, IMO, a properly presented wooly bugger/streamer will take more fish (especially big fish) than anything else regardless of whether there is a hatch occurring or not. My personal irony with regard to Lititz Run is that when I was first teaching myself to fly-fish (10 yrs ago) on Lititz I would have many days where I could catch 12-15 trout in an afternoon. Now that I've improved my skills 10-fold, I consider half a dozen fish to be a good day on the C&R section.

Posted on: 2009/3/30 19:53

From lancaster county
Nope i dont disagree. its being there on the right day at the right time.

Posted on: 2009/3/30 19:54

crs5942,

Thank you for the useful info. I am eager to fish it. So pretty much the same flies I use at Valley. Thanks hoping to get out there this week if I can. I think it's an hour or so away.

Posted on: 2009/3/30 20:07

From lancaster county
I was hoping youd chime in crs.

I totally agree about the buggers. Im partial to the white in about size 10 with the crystal and pearl flash. Ive caught my fair share of big ones on that pattern.

Other than that scuds and cress bugs. Pink san juan worms and midges, midges,midges and more midges. All colors.

There as been a good brown caddis hatch on this stream the past few years. Cross your fingers :)

crs are you talking about when the project first started? About catching all those fish when you first started? If you are then i totally agree. The fishing was easier but some of those fish (the big ones) are fish from that time frame. Easy to see (with all that angler experience) whey they are hard to catch now.

Oh yeah almost forgot.

JustFish,
there is alot of "dead water" on Lititz Run also. Places with nice holes but not so many fish. I would recommend you start at the Springhouse area. This will put you over some very nice trout in a short stretch of stream. What day are you going? Being that i live in the area I could show you where to park and where the farmers lane is you can walk down to the stream. Takes you about 1-2 mins to get to that stretch rather than fishing up from the hess farm. But if you plan to fish all day, it really doesnt matter. Just make sure when you go through the killer sheep field your on the opposite side of the stream from where you park. I hate that ram!

Posted on: 2009/3/30 20:22

There were large, tan caddis coming off all afternoon on Friday. Sal, my biggest fish at Lititz has come on a size 10, white crystal bugger. I've caught big fish on brown and olive crystal buggers as well. With the exception of one brown on a wet griffiths knat, I think that all my 20+" fish on Lititz have come from wooly buggers or streamers. I have caught many in the 16-19" range on a variety of sub-surface stuff but the big ones like eating bait-fish. I was disappointed though on Friday, as I had tied up several muddy buddy/sculpin like streamers that were 3-4" long but I was unable to get any hits on them. I did, however, only tie them in a natural muskrat color with a deer hair head. I know some of the big boys at Lititz like larger meals, because I've seen some inhale fish as big as 7".

I started fly-fishing Lititz in the mid 90s when I was in my early teens. The C&R project was just finishing completion and there were 10-12" fish stacked up in every hole. In those days, I primarily fished san juans, prince nymphs, egg patterns, and wooly buggers. I can remember having a few great days with hot pink egg patterns and some great days where all I did was strip prince nymphs downstream; however, most of my good days were due to size 8+10 wooly buggers. At that time there weren't many big fish in Lititz Run but the numbers were great. I can even remember taking my younger brother fly-fishing for the first time on Lititz Run. He caught one trout, even though his line rarely landed in the hole. Nowadays, it would be suicide to take a first-time fly-fisherman to Lititz Run. I had many great days on the stream in my youth, but it is still rewarding to have a day where I can catch a few when other anglers just watch spooky trout all day. Some day, when I have my school bills paid off and I have a few more decades of fly-fishing experience, I hope to write a book about Lititz Run, the spirit of fly-fishing, and the size 10 crystal wooly bugger.

Posted on: 2009/3/30 20:33

From lancaster county
The caddis are already coming off!? im checking weather for towmorrow for after work

I suppose there are sculpin in Lititz. I never heard of them in there but im sure they are. Lots of chubs. I need to tie a chub streamer. I bet they would eat that

Posted on: 2009/3/30 20:36

From lancaster county
60 with 5 mph wind. Im so there

Posted on: 2009/3/30 20:39

Sal,

Last year on Lititz Run I hooked a 7 inch chub and had a 20 inch brown inhale the entire thing. Since the trout wasn't hooked it eventually realized it could just spit the fish out and get away. If you develop a good chub fly, please send me the recipe.

Posted on: 2009/3/30 21:16

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com