Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: Lititz Run - Lancaster County - 24.Nov.11

From Ephrata, PA
'cause you have to be a member of Donegal TU, which you know I'm not, to even buy a badge.

Posted on: 2011/12/7 14:32

From Lancaster Co.
Are you sure you have to be a DTU member? Although DTU sells the badge, I thought the badge is also available through the conservancy which I believe is owned by F&M now? I don't thin DTU has that much control. I am a member but have not been active so I could be wrong.

Posted on: 2011/12/7 14:56

From Ephrata, PA

Posted on: 2011/12/7 15:01

From Lancaster Co.
You have to be a DTU member or member of the Millport Conservancy. Individual Millport memberships are $35 or you can go "all in" and join at the Trailblazer level for $5,000!

Posted on: 2011/12/7 15:01

From Mount Joy, PA
I should clarify my position on a "badge system". If it were to go that direction, it would be nice if it were opened up to non-DTU/Conservancy members. This would still generate revenue for stream restoration, maintenance, fish, etc. I highly doubt that it would ever happen and the more likely scenario would be the open water being closed to fishing. The Conservancy will probably remain a badge system as it has for quite some time.

And you're correct, you have to be a member of the Conservancy or DTU to purchase a badge.

Posted on: 2011/12/7 15:07

From Ephrata, PA
Its $35 plus a $20 to fish the conservancy if I join Millport.

I got a "first year" special rate offer for DTU in the mail. Much cheaper. I think I'll do it just for a year to check out the conservency. Need a good place locally to hit up in Jan. and Feb.

Posted on: 2011/12/7 15:10

From Lancaster
Jeff, nice fish. Did it put up much of a fight? Looks pretty big, but you mentioned the fight was uneventful. Did you measure it?

I've only caught one tiger and it didn't struggle much. Reminded me of how a palomino doesn't fight much either. I guess those hatchery freaks just don't struggle as much as a typical stockie. Pretty fish though and as I was bringing it to hand I couldn't tell if it was a brookie or a brown. It wasn't as nice as the one you caught.

I'm wondering if they put some in Lititz run as a novelty or to keep the chub population down. I've heard of them being stocked for that reason.

Posted on: 2011/12/12 10:28

From Southeastern Pa
andy,

I joined TU this year and I have to say I am not disappointed. I understand that joining the conservancy seems like a lot of money but if you consider what you spend $35 on in a year its really not. I have "joined" both TU and the conservancy only because I believe in supporting the opportunities both work to promote.

I'm headed over to our chapter meeting on weds, let me know if you want a ride.

Posted on: 2011/12/15 23:50

From Ephrata, PA
Tim I'm not gonna joint till the new year. I'm not ruling it out, its not the money either.

Posted on: 2011/12/16 11:58

From Southeastern Pa
I here ya, I had been hesitant to join for other reasons too. What changed my mind was going to a work day down on climbers run and meeting the people who are really active in the group. I gotta say I was happily impressed. I was also concerned that there was not one person there my age or younger. TU needs the next generation, if local trout fishing is important to you then TU is something you should seriously consider. I had a chance to walk and talk along clbers run with our chapter president and he was very open about the challenges facing our chapter. It is really a good group of people.

Posted on: 2011/12/16 12:34

From Ephrata, PA
Get them to restore the Hammer, and I'm in ;)

Posted on: 2011/12/16 12:50

From Southeastern Pa
thats a good point.

come to the meetings and suggest it.

Posted on: 2011/12/16 21:45

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

TimRobinsin wrote:
I here ya, I had been hesitant to join for other reasons too. What changed my mind was going to a work day down on climbers run and meeting the people who are really active in the group. I gotta say I was happily impressed. I was also concerned that there was not one person there my age or younger. TU needs the next generation, if local trout fishing is important to you then TU is something you should seriously consider. I had a chance to walk and talk along clbers run with our chapter president and he was very open about the challenges facing our chapter. It is really a good group of people.

well said, this speaks volumes.....

Posted on: 2011/12/16 22:15

From Mount Joy, PA
TimB,

The fish was solidly hooked in the lower jaw, so he had no chance of escaping. It was actually a "through" hook, so perhaps he knew fighting was futile. In speaking with Sal, he mentioned that some fish were stocked in LR from a private pond and that this tiger was more than likely one of them. However, they were stocked in the Conservancy, so this guy made a pretty good migration south.

I was a member of TU at one point as well, but dropped my membership to reduce expenses. I attended a meeting or two and noticed what was mentioned by Tim Robsinson - this is a very aging organization (or at least local chapter). I was in my late 30's when I was a member and by far was one of the youngest ones there. The future doesn't bode well for any organization when its has an aging membership base with no 'replacement cycle'. Perhaps there are younger members on the rolls who just need some prompting to become active. I know that DTU has a several hundred members, so obviously those who were in attendance only represented a small fraction of the chapter.

Posted on: 2011/12/17 10:40

From Monessen, PA
Join TU or the conservacy for better reasons, please, than to be able to fish a certain section of stream. If that's what it comes down to for anyone, then just join Spring Ridge or any other pay-to-play waters that are sprinkled across the Commonwealth.

I favor improvement and stewardship of PUBLIC waters over private.

I'm not trying to offend anyone or be personal. If you disagree, please discuss it civilly.

Posted on: 2011/12/17 14:37

-- Leo Tolstoy

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com