Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Re: Lititz Run - Lancaster County - 24.Nov.11
From Monessen, PA
Point taken unless the rough fish are coldwater chubs, dace and the like, as well as salamanders, and, perhaps, the beginning of a Mayfly culture or two. Perhaps further such efforts improve trout fishing opportunities on the improved stream or downstream waterways that contain trout. How much of water that runs through private land will the improvers claim as either their own or as a mechanism for raising funding for additional projects that benefit smooth fish? That is my only concern, and I think it is somewhat valid.

Maybe some folks think if someone is going to step up and improve wateways at their own expense, that they should enjoy exclusive privileges on some portion set-aside for that purpose. Very well, then, I agree, let's just be honest that this is what is happening and that it is an OK tradeoff from the purely profit-driven pay-to-play locations across the state.

Posted on: 2011/12/25 11:58

-- Leo Tolstoy

From lancaster county
Not even close to what is happening. You can only restore watersheds and then abide by the landowners rules. Plenty of improved water to fish for the general public. I suppose you would rather have it that none of the private lands were restored and most the watershed was closed to fishing because then no landowner relationships would have been forged? Would it be better if the watershed was still being polluted heavily but 100% open to fishing?

My statement about TU not being just about trout fishing is slightly off. My point was that the conservation minded people that make up these groups are certainly more than just about trout fishing.

Here is a minor breakdown of just one organizations work on lititz run
http://www.warwicktownship.org/warwic ... /warwick/LRWA_history.pdf

DONT FORGET THE BOG TURTLES!

Posted on: 2011/12/27 11:58

From Monessen, PA
Your rhetorical questions, as if a parody of what you think my thought are, do not properly reflect them. It is good to improve waterways. Improving waterways that are not open to fishing, but which directly contribute to better quality fishing in open areas is also good. On the other hand I have (once again, the term is) concerns about TU aligning itself with a pay-to-play mentality, no matter how small in scale compared to other commercial pay-to-play interests. If you want to support TU efforts, if you want to support Conservacy efforts, by all means join and contribute both monetarily and with volunteer labor. But, if you join either to get access to this water, then consider your other options as well.

That's my only point. If it is invalid, just toss it aside as one of those many other things that I am misguided about.

Posted on: 2011/12/27 12:18

-- Leo Tolstoy

From lancaster county
I can agree with what your saying, except in this instance. What we are discussing is rather the exception to the rule. When the project in this area (conservancy) started the subject of fishing rights was brought up. Of course TU wished it to be open to all. The landowners concerns was the the millport conservancy was a seperate organization and to gain access to the grounds one had to be a millport member. This open to all attitude would circumvent this process. The landowner then suggested the tu or millport membership to gain access with a small fee. Tu never really wanted nor suggested this but felt for the success of the watershed recovery, the land need to be restored/improved so they went and agreed. That is of course if my memory serves correct. I agree one should not join solely to gain access for fishing, but both are great organizations.

Posted on: 2011/12/27 13:27

From Harrisburg
Sal, If Millport is also non-profit this truly is an "exception to the rule", especially with how small their dues are. Less than TU if I remember correctly.
Do they still have limited numbers of badges?

Posted on: 2011/12/28 7:32

From lancaster county
The lowest Millport Membership is $35 for an individual. You do pose an interesting question. In the beginning, the badges were purchased through the Millport Conservancy, now you must purchase them through Donegal TU. To go even further, the Millport website mentions that fishing at Millport is managed by the Donegal chapter of Trout Unlimited. hmmmmmmmmm....this is interesting and I wonder when this change took place, but the question is what is the money used for? I'm sure some is used to make the badges but I really don't know. It appears Jack is right about TU possibly running this now. I know it was not this way in the past, Ill have to look into this more.

I'm not sure what to think at this point.

As far as I know badges went on sale just this month. In years past there were 100 available. So I imagine they still are but I dont really know.

Rather than purchase a badge and renew my membership with DTU, I joined TU again and will be switching chapters to CVTU. I just need to recieve my membership info in the mail so I can. I just love Cumberland County too much and spend most my fishing time there. With were I'm living now, I can be on the Letort in around 30 minutes. With all the new projects coming up next year, I just have to be involved in the most magical place on earth.

Hey Dan on a side note

I fished the Letort and Big Spring on Monday. I landed 4 on the Letort but had an absolute monster on that was extremely difficult to bring in. Had it half in the net for a split second and then out and splashing my face. Trying to land a big feisty Letort brown on a 5wt, by yourself, while not sinking in the swamp and trying not to fall into the stream as it splashes you is not easy.
Then again you know I suck at multitasking.

Big Spring fished really well once the sun left the ridge again in the evening. I noticed the larger Rainbows were sticking together in a few nice spots while the sun was up (groups of 5 or 6). Once the sun went past the ridge they started roaming and feeding. One extremely large brown is in the center of the project water that came out at dusk. Easily 25 inches and I hooked it 3 times for a split second then it gave up. The fish was acting really slow and hardly took the sculpin but it did lip it each time. I did manage 3 really nice bows. Have you noticed the larger Rainbows feeding more at night? I will be putting a sculpin tutorial on the pattern I have been tying. Its been really effective for me on the big 3 spring creeks.

Big Spring is becoming a real favorite of mine.

Posted on: 2011/12/28 10:10

Edited by salvelinusfontinalis on 2011/12/28 10:25:49

From Monessen, PA
Sal, now I need clarification.

Can I, as a non-TU member, or a TU member outside of the DTU chapter, fish the land without a badge? If not, how much for just a badge and no membership to either DTU or MC? Or, how much for the badge in addition to a membership in DTU or MC?

Posted on: 2011/12/28 11:20

-- Leo Tolstoy

From lancaster county
Quote:
Can I, as a non-TU member, or a TU member outside of the DTU chapter, fish the land without a badge?

No. In the past this would happen if you were close a friend of the landowners but now they have become very strict about the badge.

Quote:
If not, how much for just a badge and no membership to either DTU or MC?

You cannot buy a badge without a Millport Conservancy or DTU membership.

Quote:
Or, how much for the badge in addition to a membership in DTU or MC?

$20 dollars

Posted on: 2011/12/28 12:08

From Monessen, PA
So the cheapest access is $55/year: $35 to the conservacy and $20 for the badge? What about Chestnut Ridge TU members, can we just buy a badge at $20?

Posted on: 2011/12/28 12:27

-- Leo Tolstoy

From lancaster county
I do not know the answer to that question but you can find out via my PM.

Posted on: 2011/12/28 12:46

From Monessen, PA
Thanks for the PM. I sent you a responsive PM.

Posted on: 2011/12/28 13:09

-- Leo Tolstoy

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com