Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Letort Spring Creek - Cumberland County - 07/08/2011

From Parkesburg, PA
I did not know that there were rainbows in the Letort. Interesting and good to hear.

Posted on: 2011/8/9 9:35

From Gettysburg
Quote:

Nickyboy wrote:
I did not know that there were rainbows in the Letort. Interesting and good to hear.

Yep, I catch one from time to time, usually up at Bonnybrook. I have never seen nor caught a brook trout from Letort although there was historically a population of them in the upper sections until probably the 1950s/60s. Reliable sources tell me they're still there but, to my knowledge, recent PFBC studies haven't found any. On occasion, a stocked brookie from the kids rodeo in town shows up in lower Letort.

I'd love to see a wild brookie there.

Posted on: 2011/8/9 10:21

From Pgh
Question for you guys.... Do any of you know the history of how the browns came to be in the Letort?

I thought I read someplace that the stream used to have smaller brookies in it until the 1920's or 30s. Then a VIP, or possibly even the president of the US, wanted to fish it, so they seeded it with a bunch of big Loch Leven browns. The rest is history, so they say.

I just don't know how true that is. If not, how did the first browns come to be placed in the stream. And when?

Posted on: 2011/8/9 12:37

From Gettysburg
gg,
I don't know the answer to your question although the scenario is plausible. I'm currently pretty deep in some study of Letort and I can confirm from primary source docs that the state stocked browns in Letort at least back to 1926. This was during the Coolidge administration and CC was an avid angler (maybe there is a connection?). Different species were stocked for the next decades. The PFBC gave up on brookies in the late 50s after a fingerling effort in the upper Letort failed (fingerling browns thrived). All stocking of the FFO section ceased in 1974.
If I had to hazzard a guess, I would think that browns were probably in Letort well before 1900 considering the popularity of the creek and its proximity to rail roads.
I'd be curious to know the answer too.

Posted on: 2011/8/9 13:03

From down the block from the Letort.
Quote:
I'd love to see a wild brookie there.

yeah, that would be cool.

Here's a linky for a somewhat recent survey. I've yet to catch or see a rainbow in the Letort, but apparantly they're in there...and with TU recently yanking some weeds at Bonnybrook, that beat is looking a bit more hospitable to fish than last month.

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/images/fi ... fm/2003/7_09-17letort.htm

Don't personally have many big fish stories, typically I'm lucky enough once a year or so to stalk a big feeding brown, fool him with a scud pattern and then subsequently get broken off after a brief introduction. Almost had a 20"er to the net a couple weeks back, so I guess that's it for the year....love that witching hour as the sun goes down and the big ones come out to feed, have seen some hudge browns in that stream.

Did pedal my bike out there last Friday night at about 1am after enjoying a few at the Pub...boy how I wished I'd had a big mouse rigged up to skate across that moonlight mirror. One of these nights...

Posted on: 2011/8/9 13:32

I believe it was Cedar run???? the Prez fished.
Maybe not but another Limestoner.

Posted on: 2011/8/9 15:21

From Eastern PA
Quote:

tomitrout wrote:

Did pedal my bike out there last Friday night at about 1am after enjoying a few at the Pub...boy how I wished I'd had a big mouse rigged up to skate across that moonlight mirror. One of these nights...

That is a brilliant idea!

Posted on: 2011/8/10 15:02

From Parkesburg, PA
Jdaddy, that actually sounds horrifying.

Posted on: 2011/8/10 20:26

From Eastern PA
Quote:

Nickyboy wrote:
Jdaddy, that actually sounds horrifying.

I know, bicycling is not my thing either.

Posted on: 2011/8/10 21:31

heh, it's not that bad, especially since they redid the nature path in cinder, it's pretty easy pedaling either with or without lights....

if'n your concern is the swampy streamside nature, familiarity is key.

Posted on: 2011/8/11 6:53

From Harrisburg
I dont belive you can fish after dark where the path is along the stream.
Tried it once last year in other stretches, but it was in early october. It was a rather hard fish to say the least. Think I'll do it again, just a little earlier in the year.

Posted on: 2011/8/11 7:16

yeah, I know...the 'Heritage Regulations' do present a bit of a dilema in that regard.

Posted on: 2011/8/11 8:42

This is my first post. I've been a paflyfish "lurker" for some time, mostly reading stream reports. I never felt confident or knowledgeable enough to submit a report of my own so I just kind of stayed in the shadows. But I gotta tell you guys - these reports on the Letort Spring Creek - Cumberland County are as good as it gets. Very, very nicely thought out and written. Maybe some day 1000 years from now a fossilized hard drive will turn up and futureman will say "Wow, there really was something beneficial about the internet and paflyfish was part of it". Nice going.

Posted on: 2011/8/12 15:00

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
Welcome to the board CR! Don't be bashful about throwing in your two cents or asking questions.

Posted on: 2011/8/12 16:11

Letort was amazing this morning...snuck thru my mostly secret rabbit hole and got onto my favorite meadow for the early light.

Greeted first thing by a 20"er working the shallow weed bed, what a beautiful sight...and then he rose to something. Amazing. I quickly put him down with a less than stellar presentation of my ant, can usually get in at least a couple warm up casts elsewhere before that kind of challenge, oh well...

Moved upstream when some ripples off the far bank caught my eye, and there was the big one I tangled with a couple weeks ago...he was moving out of his lie and drifting past me downstream when he purposely pointed his nose to the surface and slurped another unseen something out of the film just like his neighbor had earlier. Another breathtaking sight, he obviously saw me first and then went into hiding. Picking off that morsel on the way to his daytime lair, almost felt like he was snubbing me with that rise...

And shortly thereafter yet another 16-18" fish came drifting down with the current, he picked up the pace for sure once he spotted me standing there dumbfounded. Didn't even bother casting to him or the other, sometimes just being witness is enough. And it was a pretty damn sweet sunrise to boot...what an incredible place.

Actual fishing tally was one, found a gullible and feisty 8-9" riser that snatched my #18ish snowshoe emerger to keep the skunk away. Marked, errr spooked, a few other decent fish up thru the meadows and saw two or three other risers along with a very light dance of spinners near the quarry bridge that had a fish rising until I put him down. The bugs looked a little big for tricos, not sure what they were, but I've yet to really fish a trico fall...

And yeah, I also found another one of those hidden holes...was well back from the stream shwacking my way out on a deer path I use often enough, took a step and there was suddenly no bottom there. Sunk immediately up to my hip in that stinky muck, but only the right leg, had solid footing under the left foot the whole time, crazy place. Definitely a bit chilly this morning to be sans waders....feeling a change in the air, sweet.

Posted on: 2011/8/13 17:17

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com