Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Lehigh River (Gorge), Carbon Co, 9/3/2013

From Carbon County
Got on the lehigh tonight in the gorge from about 6:00-8:00. Browns are moving in and active. Caught 4 including one huge brown. I've got no pics to prove it but I'll just say 20" easy. 2 were around 12" and feisty as heck and the smallest was around 10". Insects everywhere. Iso's, caddis, yellow stones, and tons of tiny olives ( size 24 at best, probably smaller) I tried to fish an olive pattern but the smallest I had was a 22 and the water was just to rough to pull it off. Tried a couple other patterns with no luck. After about a half hour I started to see good numbers of yellow stones and went with a 14 yellow stimulator that I just tied this weekend and that was the ticket ( I think mostly because it floats like a cork and I could actually see it) takes were very subtle except for one of the 12inchers. The big one I got lucky as I didn't even see him take it, my fly disappeared so I set the hook and his initial run was strong but once I got him out of the current and off balance he came in fairly easy. I tried to get the phone out to take a pic but I keep it in a dry box now in my pack ever since I ruined the last one and he got loose ( darn barbless hooks and me forgetting my net, again). But whatever, all were released unharmed. Water was a little high but fishable. If anybody wants to hit it this week after work for a few hours PM me as the old lady hates it when I go down there alone.

Posted on: 2013/9/3 23:22

Edited by Fishidiot on 2013/9/4 13:36:45

Re: Lehigh gorge 9/3/2013

From Sugarloaf pa
Glad that you caught some nice fish, I was thinking of hitting the Lehigh this weekend but was not to sure where to go. I was thinking of starting near the tannery bridge and working down toward Rockport and fishing back up. What part of the Lehigh did you catch the fish at?

Posted on: 2013/9/4 9:16

From Gettysburg
Very good report.

(Please include the county in the title line. Is this Carbon?)

Posted on: 2013/9/4 11:33

From Carbon County
Yes carbon county. I don't wanna give away my spot exactly but it is a few miles downstream of the tannery bridge. The tannery bridge is a good spot as well and if you follow black creek downstream to the river that is usually a good spot also. All I will say about my spot is it right near two icy cold tribs and fish usually hold right near the mouth of the first one. ( if you know the area well you probably know what I'm talking about). DB check your inbox.

Posted on: 2013/9/4 12:05

From Gettysburg
Quote:

Dcap240 wrote:
Yes carbon county. I don't wanna give away my spot exactly

That's fine - we don't expect you to reveal exact spots or info you're uncomfortable with. We do seek to include the county you fished in the title line to assist with search function.

Posted on: 2013/9/4 13:36

Re: Lehigh River (Gorge), Carbon Co, 9/3/2013

Nice ! Nice ! Nice ! Your report is very encouraging in that isn't it a little bit early for such good action on those patterns ? How about water temp. ? USGS Streamflow says water is hovering right around 70. I fish that stretch of the Lehigh and seem to do better a little further into September. I really like the Black Creek/Hayes Creek pool. Anybody fishing there please use extreme caution. The Lehigh is a noteworthy bad wading stream but the drop off right there is sudden, severe and deep.

Posted on: 2013/9/4 17:27

From Carbon County
I didn't get a water temp. and I was fishing right at the mouth of a very cold spring creek ( I would say the creek is in the low 60's at the highest) but I saw rises upstream from there. It's definetly still a little early and that's why I went down there just to check it out but the trout were there. It's been pretty cold up here at night. You are right about wading though rabbit that river in the gorge is pretty treacherous at a lot of spots. If you stay tight to the bank and go around the pillar upstream it's doable depending on the water level but below the pillar I usually just stay on the rocks there and there is plenty of room to cast there. And thanks for fixing the title fishidiot, I will include county next time.

Posted on: 2013/9/4 18:09

From Mount Joy, PA
I'd imagine anywhere along the Lehigh where you can find a coldwater feeder stream would be good fishing. I chased them during the cicada "hatch" for a bit where Hickory Run enters and saw some really nice fish. The Lehigh has the potential to be an incredible fishery!

Posted on: 2013/9/4 18:14

From Glendora nj
Up in white haven right now with the family have a few hours to fish this evening and tomorrow morning early. Any suggestions on what flies to be using. I have a few ideas where I want to hit not looking for a spots. I wil be checking my pms. Thanks in advance.

Posted on: 2013/9/7 15:25

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com