Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

LeTort Spring Run-Cumberland-9/27/13

From Hunker
Letort Spring Run 9-27-13. Bonnybrook was looking great with all the shrubbery finally dying down and access to certain areas was alot easier along with the casting. Again, not too many risers, so I mainly fished streamers throughout the afternoon. My olive bugger yielded great results again working my way downstream making unusually long cast to keep out of sight which tends to work best for me when Im fishing streamers on the letort, but certain meadows I fish upstream. After the first couple minutes, I made a nice dead drift/swing/twitch down a nice deep channel which produced the first 14" Brown that put up a mettlesome fight. I then worked my way downstream to a new area that's usually to thick to get to, and again a distanced downstream cast into a nice deep channel produced another 13-14 inch brown, with a little hooked jaw. As I walked up to Tregos Meadow, I thought I'd swing the bugger under Bonnybrook bridge and try to pull one of the eighteen inchers out of there that I've been hearing about but a quick little 9incher beat them too it and I moved on. I caught one more in tregos meadow dead drifting the bugger rhrough the cress beds/ alodea right on the bottom. I took a walk down to Quarry Meadow to see a sizable trout dead on the bottom, probably from an angler fighting a fish half to death ( another reason I dislike slow rods for spring creeks). But, I was able to move 2 fish but no takes/ also saw a few Sulfurs. If you are just starting to fly fish and are still trying to learn the basics, then I would highly recommend that you not fish this stream.. Reason being, I've witnessed too many beginners come here throwing bright pink golf ball sized indicators 6 inches above their size 12 Prince nymph..and later complaining that there's no fish and why they can't catch any? Do your research before coming to this stream or get a local guide from yellow breeches outfitters. Today's rod outfit: 7' Orvis/4wt. Hatches: saw size 18-20 olives throughout the day in decent numbers, hoppers, crickets and ants were everywhere, so terrstrials should still be producing some, but it is slow. Later at Yellow Breeches, I fished for an hour and saw many risers in the fast water and in the slow flat water, a size 22 cinnamon Ant proved to be very useful in the flats, and a size 18 tan elk hair caddis worked in the faster water being that a few caddis were fluttering around. Also saw another fed trout on the bottom this one about 18-20". Know your rods strength and get your fish in quickly, it is not the sign of a true sportsman to play your fish for so long and later spend an hour trying to revive it.

Posted on: 2013/9/28 5:42

Re: LeTort Spring Run-Cumberland-9/27/13
From Gettysburg

That section of Letort has a lot of wild trout - currently over three times the biomass to establish Class A. Any stream like this will have perpetual attrition of fish. Odds are the fish you saw probably just died naturally.

Posted on: 2013/9/28 16:42

Edited by Fishidiot on 2013/10/4 16:48:00

Re: LeTort Spring Run-Cumberland-9/27/13

From SCPA
Dave,
Good point. I was also going to say trout can die of natural causes on these waters. Not the first one that has.
Mike

Posted on: 2013/9/28 16:54

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com