Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Lake Marburg, York County, 2/13/2013

From York, PA
Lake Marburg is 70% covered with ice, so I thought Yippee.... that's 30% fishable water?

I was testing out a new tungsten stonefly I was working on, so I took my flyrod. I saw lots of fish in 15' or deeper water, but I'm a stubborn fly fisherman and I used my 3wt with Floating Line.

Water temp was 41. I caught three small yellow perch, and not even one crappie! I fished from about 2pm until 4pm. It started snowing around 3:30.

Still lots of fun to be out in the fresh air. I've been housebound for the last three weeks!

PS - I got a Dave Scadden Pontoon / Float Tube for myself as a Christmas present (the one where Jack liked the blonde in the ad?) and I must say that this new "bladderless" technology is wonderful. It hasn't lost any air at all since I filled it in December! This will be great for my fly rod carpin' in the Susquehanna this year.

Tight Lines,
1wt

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Posted on: 2013/2/13 18:14

Re: Lake Marburg, York County, 2/13/2013

From Parkesburg
This sounds safe.

Posted on: 2013/2/13 21:41

From Gettysburg
Good report. In a couple more weeks it should really turn on. I love Marburg in the springtime - summer is tougher.

1WT,
If you weren't already aware, the Lake Marburg seminar is this Saturday. There will be seminars on panfish and weed management. Lee Snyder will be talking muskies and selling his book (which is an excellent study of this lake).
Link

Posted on: 2013/2/13 22:52

From York, PA
Quote:

NickR wrote:
This sounds safe.

LOL, actually, Nick it is very safe. Any float tube in PA and you have to have a life vest on at all times.

This pontoon holds up to 600 lbs (I just started my juice diet yesterday, but in case I fell off the wagon, I wanted a safe thing)

You can't tip a pontoon over, like a canoe of kayak! With my flippers, I can stay in a spot to fly cast with no effort at all!

It's the safest craft in the water....... try it, you'll like it!

Posted on: 2013/2/14 0:59

From York, PA
Fishidiot,

Marburg has 26 miles of shoreline, and is >100' deep, so a couple pix won't spot burn that wonderful lake? The Park Ranger (a young guy, Keller is retired now) told me there are over one million white perch in that lake! Great tablefare, great fighters on a fly rod, and they bite all day! There are signs all over the lake that say "Please keep all the White Perch you catch"

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Posted on: 2013/2/14 1:40

Edited by 1wt on 2013/2/14 2:03:20

From Gettysburg
Yep - Marburg is a neat place. Local folks still call it "Project 70." Not only is it good for fishing, it's just a fun state park with something for everyone. Folks can ride horses, hunt, picnic, boat, bird watch. Lots of hiking trails (my wife and I enjoy looking at the old 18th century cemetery along the south side, when we hike that section). Places like this were part of Maurice Goddard's vision and legacy. I've got my share of disappointment with some of PA's state policies.......but our state parks are something to be proud of.

Regarding fishing......yeah the white perch are real invasives and it will be interesting to see what happens. Personally, I think they should stock the lake with pure stripers. I just don't think there can ever be enough walleyes and muskies to eat down these pelagic hordes. Summer evenings are nice and can fish well. It has just been my experience that the larger panfish and bass tend to suspend over deep water in summer. If you get there at dawn there are bass along the shore but by sun up they seem to disappear in my experience. Guys graph huge schools of crappies and white perch (and trout) over the deep channel from the islands to the dam in summer. This sort of deep fishing just isn't my cup of tea these days. I'm a river rat and usually spend my summers on creeks and rivers.

Posted on: 2013/2/14 7:56

From Parkesburg
Good report... I use a pontoon but your not going to catch me using it at this time of year. Only thing that would make me nervous is taking a dunk in waders in this cold weather.

Posted on: 2013/2/14 11:45

From Parkesburg
Nice pics by the way?

Posted on: 2013/2/14 11:45

From York County
I used to spin fish Marburg every few weeks in my kayak or canoe. I've caught some real lunkers out of there.

Once I was fishing for bass with a 5" twin tail grub with the skirt on a 2/0 gamagatsu offset hook, Texas rigged and landed a 20+ inch rainbow. I thought I'd hooked a big bass, the thing was shaped like a bass. Caught it near the dam on an offshore point using the lake map I have in about 25 feet of water.

And yes, Marburg is big and deep, most people have trouble fishing it because with the clear water a lot of the fish are waaay deeper than you might think. I've caught bass on bucktails in 50+ feet of water there. Walleyes are even deeper.

I agree there should be stripers in there.

I consider Marburg one of my favorite home waters and due to its size I wouldn't be concerned with it being spot burnt. It doesn't seem to have much structure at first glancing down into its clear water, but there's plenty of it hidden in the depths. I once drove around the lake about a decade ago when was at an extreme low, more than 20 feet and marked spots/ made notations on the map I have.

Posted on: 2013/2/14 12:37

From York
I have a couple of maps showing all the old houses, roadways and other "structure" in the lake, and they are mostly in deep water.

Hit that lake in the late fall when it's raining and your arm will all but fall off from the number of fish you will catch.

Posted on: 2013/2/14 17:04

Yes, take note, I have read your striper stocking requests here. Marburg is in my regional jurisdiction.

Posted on: 2013/2/15 12:34

From York County
Mike,

with the recent explosion in the white perch pops that I have been hearing about, some stripers would help keep the lake diversified.

Judging by the size of the musky's I've seen come out of the lake, I'm sure they don't have too much competition.

I mean I find it kind of funny how they tossed a bunch in Pinchot years back, Pinchot is mostly less than 10-15 feet deep throughout the lake.

Marburg is deeper than that within casting distance from the shore. The map I own says it is 110 ft. at the dam and mostly deeper than. 40 ft. deep just a short distance offshore anywhere downlake from the first bridge. The main body of water from the two islands (Long Island & Round Island) down to the dam is mostly between 60-80 ft. in depth. There is a LOT of deep, cold, clear water in Marburg.

Marburg has a definate thermocline with adequate oxygen levels for coldwater species.

Don't know if you remember, back in the 90's they dumped like 17'000 or so coho salmon in Marburg and they were in there for years.

Thanks for your consideration and for reading,

Jake

Posted on: 2013/2/15 15:27

From Gettysburg
Quote:

JakesLeakyWaders wrote:
Mike,
I mean I find it kind of funny how they tossed a bunch in Pinchot years back, Pinchot is mostly less than 10-15 feet deep throughout the lake.
Don't know if you remember, back in the 90's they dumped like 17'000 or so coho salmon in Marburg and they were in there for years.
Jake

Jake,
Yeah, I remember the cohos. Boy, talk about a story that got a heckuva lot more press than it deserved.
Regarding Pinchot - the fish stocked there were (are) hybrid stripers and I think they dropped it from the muskie list (although I'd have to check - may be wrong)

Mike,
I've long wanted to see stripers in Marburg since well before the WP invasion. Maybe poach some fingerling from the Susky or lake Redman/Williams allotment and try 'em in Marburg on a short term basis. The lake has many similar characteristics to Raystown and I think the local angling community would welcome the experiment.

Posted on: 2013/2/16 8:17

From Dallastown, PA
I seem to recall a couple hundred thousand rainbow fingerlings being dumped into Marburg in the summer about ten years ago. I recall it to be a WTF moment when we heard. But apparently it was the "Coldwater fishery" of choice to dump them. I forget the reason why the dump occurred. We joked at TU about buying up all the rainbow trout rapalas and going after the musky and stripers and walleyes. But alas, we never acted on it.

Perhaps this buffet for the predator fish determined by the AFM took pressure off the white perch and caused the explosion. Perhaps Mike can give us his assessment on this possibility.

Posted on: 2013/2/16 11:57

From Gettysburg
I chatted up some folks at the Marburg symposium today and some of these issues came up. Not surprisingly, the fishermen in attendance were almost all against spraying weeds with herbicide.

Fisheries issues, also not surprisingly, were more complex. Generally, the old timers think the lake is fishing very well these days. Apparently the trout stocking has stopped (a couple guys weren't happy) but there was a lot of satisfaction from bass, muskie, and panfish guys (except yellow perch). I asked what folks thought about stripers and some thought it a good idea but wondered how it might effect the current fishery. When I asked local muskie legend Lee Snyder how he felt about stripers in Marburg he did not favor the idea.

Posted on: 2013/2/16 16:48

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com