Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Lake Marburg, York County, 2/13/2013

I have never lived more than ten minutes from the lake. I pretty much live on the lake now and jog by it daily. I have spent most of my life fishing this lake. Back in the 90's the lake was very good for panfish and bass.
Despite what people will tell you I would never say it has been a good walleye or pike/muskie lake. Remember I have fished lake marburg every way there is to fish ice,boat,fly rod exc. But than again my idea of good is different than others.
To be honest with you I am not sure I have ever caught a muskie out there. I have caught a decent amount of pike though. As far as walleyes go id say its a joke sorry folks this is not a world class walleye fishery. You may catch one here and there while bass fishing but your wasting time if you target them.
The lake currently is not in good shape. The white perch are everywhere and it is POLLUTED with Gizzard Shad. Any of you that have boats with good electronics know this to be true. This lake needs stripers. The Old timers and the pa fish and boat that think the lake is a world class fishery are whats killing the lake. There is nothing but prey fish in the lake except bass. The pan fish populations are ok but size is pathetic because there is millions of white perch.
Than you get to fishing pressure which is very very high. Plus many of our hanover locals are not real good with catch and release many pan fish get taken out in the spring and I am talking about gills,crappies and yellow perch Not white perch. Last spring I was fishing for gills and a man on the shore was keeping them and throwing the white perch in the woods. Another problem is the stinking white perch can be really hard to catch. Sounds crazy but you can troll for them all day and catch next to nothing some days.

Posted on: 2013/2/25 21:49

From Hanover
Wow. That is the complete opposite of what I was told and shown at our TU meeting. If you really want to worry about the lake as a fishery, I would certainly be looking at the DCNR proposal to spray herbicide on weed beds in the lake.

Posted on: 2013/2/26 9:45

From Hanover

Posted on: 2013/2/26 9:48

I think some of the folks that tend to think Marburg is all it can be need to take a few fishing trips. There are some real gem Lakes with in an eight hour drive of Hanover. New York has its finger lakes, lake oneida and chataqua (spelling) lake. All out of this world lakes.

Now I know you all will say yea but those lakes are huge compared to lake Marburg well ok. What about Maryland's Deep Creek Lake only a little bigger than Marburg but far and away a more productive lake. Than some of you will say none of these lakes have white perch ok. Well I have to tell you I would say all of Baltimore county's lakes Pretty Boy, Loch Raven, Liberty are far better than Marburg oh and liberty has stripers.

Folks Lake Marburg is a testament to how the state of PA mismanages its lakes. Plain and simple

Posted on: 2013/2/26 10:03

trike 23: What specifically did "the state" do to mismanage the lake? For clarification purposes before you respond, "the state" did not introduce white perch or gizzard shad; those were apparently angler introductions. I can understand the desire to have a striped bass fishery, but based on much experience at other SE Pa lakes they would do little to "control" white perch or gizzard shad. Their value in that regard is undetectable.

Posted on: 2013/2/26 12:37

trike 23: The only "control" that we have seen that is effetive in managing white perch populations is a naturally occurring fish kill, per Nockamixon Lake in 1985-1986. Gizzard shad periodically have naturally occurring fish kills during or just after the winter as energy reserves are depleted and vulnerability to diseases increases. Those populations in all cases we've seen quickly bounce back within a year.

Posted on: 2013/2/26 12:52

From Hanover, PA
Trike do you fish the same Lake Marburg?? It is tough at times but it is one of the better lakes in PA (I have fished all over PA). I have fished Marburg my whole life and have had many amazing days there.

Your statement about the white perch being hard to catch makes no sense either. If you give me a shoestring and a piece of metal resembling a hook I bet you I could still catch them. Im not trying to be ignorant but most of the people targeting white perch catch their fill every time they are out for them.

Posted on: 2013/2/26 13:44

Edited by JoshM3357 on 2013/2/26 14:10:03

Yes at times in the spring you could perhaps catch them on a shoe string. Once the heat of July and August show up no that is not the case. You almost always catch them yes but fill your livewell up till it can not hold any more Id say it becomes harder.The perch tend to feed on very small things most times of the year. They are not always in the mood to chase down a crawler harness are a spinner. These fresh water white perch are not the same thing as there chesapeake bay cousins that eat anything. I may be inclined to agree that Marburg is one of the best "lakes" in Pa. But if that is so it is only because other than lake Erie there are not many lakes in PA. Like I stated earlier visit some of what new york has to offer and some of what Maryland has to offer and you will think a bit different of Lake Marburg. I have fished lake Marburg since I was knee high to a grass hopper and I have caught many fish out of her. But the last fifteen years the lake has been on a down turn. The yellow Perch I used to catch by the hundreds are mostly a thing of the past. The days of ice fishing from sun up to sun down and catching bull bluegills all day is Over.The lake with all the shad and white perch is not the same place it once was. If you are catching lots of big muskie out of Marburg God bless You im not at all calling you a lier. I dont really consider myself much of a muskie fisherman so any I would catch would be bass fishing anyways. But I just have a hard time thinking Lake Marburg could become a destination for muskie anglers IMHO.

Posted on: 2013/2/26 15:28

And Mike Pa is not very well known for having outstanding fishing. The best thing we have are our trout streams which they do everything in there power to screw up (think big spring). I think I went a little far blaming them for Marburg. The fact is the state is broke they can not really offer much help.
Its just sad that we drained Shepperd Myers and other small lakes in a state that does not have many good places to fish warm water fish. Most of the time when you want to get the boat out you know that means you will be doing a little driving.

Posted on: 2013/2/26 15:36

From Gettysburg
Quote:

trike23 wrote:
And Mike Pa is not very well known for having outstanding fishing..... a state that does not have many good places to fish warm water fish.

Really?

I fish Maryland a good bit and almost never see PA, DC or NJ plates when I'm down there. Up here in PA, on both trout streams and warm water locations (including Codorus SP) I see quite a few MD, DC and NJ plates. I can think of dozens of "good" places to fish WW fishes just here in SC PA (and that's without the Susky anymore).

I'm not a weekly regular on Marburg but I've fished it for over thirty years. Sure, the walleyes and yellow perch aren't what I remember them to be, but other game fish more than make up for it in my view. And yes the white perch can be tough to find in summer (like most fish in the lake) but I think they're pretty easy to catch when you find 'em.
You really seem to be down on Marburg.....to each his own.
I like it and believe, all things considered, it's better than 10 or 20 years ago.

Posted on: 2013/2/26 17:42

From LV
How about some lake trout, they'll help keep the perch in check.

Posted on: 2013/2/26 18:19

From Hanover
Landlocked salmon were introduced before and there is plenty of trout in there. Get your downriggers.

Posted on: 2013/2/26 19:10

From Gettysburg
Quote:

tennjed wrote:
Landlocked salmon were introduced before and there is plenty of trout in there. Get your downriggers.

Landlocked salmon have been introduced into Raystown but (to my knowledge) have never been stocked in Marburg. Cohos were tried briefly in Marburg.

Lakers might do okay in Marburg. They seem to thrive in Raystown which is similar with deep, cold, oxygenated depths.
However, my guess would be that Marburg isn't really deep enough or cold enough for lakers. Raystown is deeper and colder and has smelt. Lakers might be worth a try on an experimental basis although I'm also skeptical that enough anglers would target them. I'd vote to stick with muskies and add stripers if there's funding and enough public interest..

Posted on: 2013/2/26 20:18

From York, PA
I have to agree with Fishidiot and Josh, Marburg is pretty good fishing all year long. Even better than trout are those big bluegills on a top water sponge spider!!! The ultimate fly rod thrill.

I found links on the internet that say they put in approx 40K Crappie every year. (I can't embed with my computer, so I won't put a YouTube link that nobody would ever open) Mike can back me up on this?

Crappie are the most fun to catch, spin or fly, and they are the best tablefare, and they grow really fast, and they love that clean deep lake!

I think it's crazy that they put a truckload of trout in the lake...... I wish it were more crappies?

Crappie bite all year long. These pix are Marburg, winter snow, about 20 degrees, wading from shore, and a fly rod:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Posted on: 2013/2/26 22:11

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com