HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Lake Marburg, York County, 2/13/2013
From Gettysburg
Quote:

Maurice wrote:
But apparently it was the "Coldwater fishery" of choice to dump them. I forget the reason why the dump occurred. We joked at TU about buying up all the rainbow trout rapalas and going after the musky and stripers and walleyes. But alas, we never acted on it.

Maurice,
Marburg actually is a genuine coldwater fishery with oxygenated depths where trout can grow and thrive unlike many warm water lakes that used to be heavily stocked (like Opossum Lake). Personally, I'd like to see fingerlings continue on Marburg, even if the numbers of fish have to be curtailed.

Posted on: 2013/2/16 16:53

From Dallastown, PA
Jake caught a 20" rainbow a few years ago...thats one. Anyone else? 1 out of 250,000 doesn't make a make a fishery. I've never heard the trout call to marburg. And I have lived here for 13 years.

Posted on: 2013/2/17 0:18

While the lake produced trophy sized trout in numbers large enough (18-25") under the old fingerling stocking program to attract a few anglers with downriggers (one from Reading, Pa), in later years the fingerlings did not do very well, probably as a result of predation. A switch was made to stocking adult trout not to provide an instantaneous fishery as is done each spring in other waters around the state, but in this case to improve the chances that the RTs' would get past the predators in large part because of their larger size than the fingerlings. By fall of the first year RT's were running from 13-15", seemed fairly numerous at night around the islands based on electrofishing, and by the following fall anglers were catching 18" fish. In later years we heard that the typical fish were 18-25". The fishery never took off, however, in that it did not become popular with enough anglers to make continued stocking worthwhile. For example, when I polled 75-100 anglers at last year's Lake Marburg fishing symposium, none indicated that they had fished for the larger trout. While a number of angler enjoyed fishing the cove for the stockies when they were first stocked and for a few days until they dispersed, that was not the intent of the program and it would not be a very efficient or effective way to run a regular adult trout stocking program, where returns are much better from smaller lakes and small to mid-size streams. If you desire to try for Marburg's large RT's there is still plenty of time to do so as the last of the annual stockings occurred last spring. There should be a full range of year classes present in the lake. A helpful hint: In the fall (Oct or Nov) we found the RT in the weed beds at night, especially in the island area (Round Island). I would think that the fish would be dispersed throughout the main body of the lower lake anytime that the water is cold enough, not just in fall. My recollection is that we also saw some RT in near shore weedy areas not associated with the islands. The north shoreline was the location (not in coves).

Posted on: 2013/2/17 9:13

Striped bass stockings: Would probably work if they can get past the gauntlet of predatory white perch, but would do little to "control" the white perch population. Any impact of stripers on white perch would even be less now that gizzard shad populate the lake as well. The best and only control that I have seen work so far for white perch has been a natural fish kill at Nockamixon Lake. The population never recovered; only a remnant population remains (winter kill happened in 1985-86).

Considerations:
1) Need. York Co already has two striper/striper hybrid fisheries (three if you include those that make their way from Lake Redman into Lake Williams, and four if you include the Conowingo Pool of the Susquehanna). Additionally, the Susquehanna Flats fishery is close by. Furthermore, we have recently been working to increase the abundance of another species (muskellunge and tiger muskellunge) through increased stockings of muskies and new stockings of tigers in Marburg (to create a desirable, higher catch rate fishery, not to control white perch). The tiger muskellunge program was dropped at Redman due to lack of more recent success and angler interest. So the lake has been receiving attention (in addition to its channel cat, crappie, and walleye stockings).

2) Practicality. Anglers should be more successful in smaller lakes than in larger lakes where successful stockings are taking place. Pinchot, Redman, Williams, all smaller lakes, already have successful fisheries. Additionally, since the fish are stocked as fingerlings (at the moment) and on a per acre basis, it takes less fish at a lesser cost stocked in a smaller lake to create a desirable fishery.

3) Availability of fish. Fingerling stripers are not as available as they once were and there may be a shift back to typically less reliable fry stockings in some lakes as a result. This would not be a good time to add more lake acreage to the striper stocking program, at least not for fingerlings.

Posted on: 2013/2/17 9:37

From Gettysburg
Interesting. There was certainly a lot of positive buzz about muskies in Marburg yesterday and many pics/fish stories about them. The fish in the photos (all purebreds as far as I could tell) looked good and many of them were extremely fat. Folks felt that the shad forage base was the reason for the thick fish and fast growth rate.

Posted on: 2013/2/17 10:13

From Dallastown, PA
Thats some good local info Mike, Thanks.

Posted on: 2013/2/17 11:07

From York, PA
Quote:

Maurice wrote:
Jake caught a 20" rainbow a few years ago...thats one. Anyone else? 1 out of 250,000 doesn't make a make a fishery.

Maurice,

I have caught (and released) a couple nice sized rainbows near the shore while I was nymph fishing for bluegills.

Every spring (as Mike explained) they put a truckload of stockers into the lake. Usually several places, but last year the whole truck was dumped in at "Sailboat Launch". Everybody caught like crazy for three days, then the trout dispersed and none were caught there again.

I've noticed hundreds of Cormorants appearing right after they stock the trout! I know they are protected, but I wish the duck hunters would take their shotguns in their boats and shoot as many as they can! Both islands get packed with the dirty birds every spring.

I see that they stock Crappie by the tens of thousands every year. That is the best fish for that lake. Muskies and Trout and Walleye and even Bass are OK, but the Crappie and Bluegill are the fishing fun IMHO! White Perch are also OK, I'm so glad someone put them in the lake!

Posted on: 2013/2/17 13:48

From York County
The rainbow I caught was over 20" for sure and fat. I heard reports of locations and methods on the lake that catch rainbows in numbers. People are fishing using nearly the same methods as were used with the cohos.

I know from accounts that there are still big bows in there. Its just that Marburg is such a deep decent sized lake and finding each species gets very technical / stroke of luck. I have found, the large rainbows seem to be adjacent to the same areas I have found the largest bass. And mostly its deep.

Posted on: 2013/2/18 10:53

From Hanover, PA
Mike

I found this thread internet fishing and just wanted to give you a little feedback.

The musky fishing this past season was great IMO. This past year was probably the least I fished but I saw more decent musky this year than ever. I didnt catch any monsters (mid upper 30's was my biggest) but had numerous short outings where I raised 2-3 fish in maybe a 2 hour session. This was all done from the bank too.

I should have a lot more free time this year to chase them.

Thanks for keeping Marburg a great fishery. The past 2 years it has treated me well.

Posted on: 2013/2/20 13:11

Josh,

Thanks for the feedback and glad that the lake (and muskies) have been good to you. We've stocked both tigers and pures, with some increase in the number of pures stocked, but a substantial boost to the overall muskellunge population with the addition of tigers, which I am able to have stocked at a much higher rate per acre.

Mike

Posted on: 2013/2/20 21:08

From Gettysburg
Josh,
Welcome to the Paflyfish (PAFF) forums and our online community. Hope yuh have a good year on Marburg in 2013.

Posted on: 2013/2/20 22:19

From York, PA
Quote:

Josh wrote:
had numerous short outings where I raised 2-3 fish in maybe a 2 hour session. This was all done from the bank too.

Welcome, Josh. I'm pretty sure that I talked to you last summer at Marburg? if that's you in the pic?

You were using a spin rod with a plug, and you mentioned about all the pike and muskies in that lake?
I told you that I was after tiny bluegills with a tiny flyrod? This year I'm packin' a casting rod in my toon? ..... some "Rattin" in the weeds, and a big ole Senko on a 3/0!

Posted on: 2013/2/21 22:08

One million white perch in that lake! That sounds like a sustainable commercial fishery. May even be possible to harvest profitably with hook and line.

Those are some tasty fish, white perch.

Posted on: 2013/2/22 10:50

Edited by barbless on 2013/2/22 11:18:22

If you want to target trout in that lake, it sounds like you'll want to find the thermocline layer of the water during most of the year.

For those who don't know, the temperature of deep lakes falls into roughly three layers during the warm part of the year- the warm layer near the surface, the cold layer at the bottom, and the thermocline, which is in between.

The cold layer is most often 39 degrees F/4C, which is the temperature where water is heaviest. (The miracle chemical property that explains why 32 F water floats when it becomes ice, and lakes don't ever freeze solid.) 39 degrees F is too cold for almost any fish species to prefer, which is why you won't catch much, if anything, if you fish the bottom depths of a deep lake.

Meanwhile, the surface layer might be around 75-80+ degrees in the summer, much too warm for trout.

The trout are like Goldilocks, and the thermocline layer is "just right".

So, drop a thermometer into the lake water, and you'll find it after a few soundings. Just make sure that uh the thermometer is attached to a line of some sort.

No doubt a fish finder will help, too, but that's cheating, isn't it?

If the trout in Marburg are like those in Maine trout lakes, there's one especially good time to find them in the shallows- for a few weeks after ice-out, in the spring. Often near the inlet feeder creeks.

Posted on: 2013/2/22 11:06

Edited by barbless on 2013/2/22 11:24:56

From Hanover, PA
It very well may have been. I do use a spinning set up a lot to throw 6" jerkbaits a lot. Maybe I will run into you again! Good luck this year!

Posted on: 2013/2/22 14:54

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com