Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Juniata River, Perry County?, 7/26 & 7/27/13

From Glen Rock PA
Hey all
So first off I am not sure what county I was in...so any help would be appreciated. Myself and a friend floated the J from Thompsontown m22 to Millerstown m12 on the eve of 7/26 and morning/afternoon of 7/27

Some specifics...
7/26 was sunny and around 78-80 dgrees air temp, little to no breeze
7/27 started sunny, became mostly cloudy by 11:00am and heavy rain by 4:30pm ( we pulled out at 4:00!)
Water was warm, not hot and very very clear visisbility at least 6 feet

Ok so this was my third time on the Juniata (first time was 2 weeks ago) I am really liking this river! This streatch is a nice 6 mile section with a lot of variety and at least half very fishable with the fly rod. Many sections were low and to shallow, a few areas very deep hard to get fly that deep. Current varies from swift to very slow. Almost all of this area has a nice rocky bottom, some nice big grassy areas and some nice really big rocks. We had are best luck in the middle section of the run with first 1/4 and last 1/4 being OK. All fish caught were smallmouth bass, with 2 fallfish and 1 redbrest being the exceptions

Friday eve, set float at 5:00 pm or so, pulled out at 10:30pm, fished until about 9:20. Poppers,poppers,poppers! Chartruse poppers were the key the last hour and 1/2 we fished were really good popper action. My buddy landed 3 monsters...2 - 18 inch , 1 - 19+, all 3 on Chartruse popper big feathers and rubber legs. I landed quite a few but not so big 16 inch was my biggest that eve. Caught a few on a clouser(size 8 chart.) and had the spinning rod and caught quite a few on 1/8 ounch chart spinnerbait. Our last hour was just paddling and trying to avoid the dobsonfly hatch! Just as it started to get really dark the skies came alive with dobsonflies and if you have never been in one of those hatches you are in for a treat. Those things are huge! It's like being in a sci-fi movie. Harmless but still a little un-nerving at first. There were lots of fish feeding as we paddled in the dark, I am surprised we had any luck the next day, these bugs have to be a feast! So last hour + on the river was in the dark, paddling hard, running onto rocks and hearing banjo's playing near by.

Saturday:Got on the river by 6:30 am, the moon overnight was bright starting around 11:00pm, and with all the dobsonflys I did not expect real hungry bass in the morning and I was right. Very little action until 8:00am or so when I caught my first on a size 1 clouser white and chartruse. This would be my best fly of the day producing maybe 10-12 smb with the biggest being 16 inches. The surprise fish catcher of the day was a clear Zara Spook Puppy. I was getting fish from 10:00am till 4:00 pm with this. Finnally got my big one...18incher at 12:15 on the zara spook. Action was not as fasr Saturday we pulled out around 4:15 and I had caought 20 + fish, compared to the same number Friday night in about half the time.

You may not catch a lot of fish on this float but there are some big SMB to be caught. This whole section is catch and release so i look forward to catching some of these fish again!!

Posted on: 2013/8/1 8:21

Re: Juniata River, Perry County?, 7/26 & 7/27/13

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

glenrockonthefly wrote:
...and hearing banjo's playing near by.

Hopefully no one was squeeling like a pig as well

Posted on: 2013/8/1 9:28

you started in Juniata Co. and end up in Perry Co. If you heard the banjos, just keep moving.................Perry Co.(where men are men and sheep run scared :) ...........If you want another spot, just move up the river above Thompsontown to Muskrat Springs and float down from there..........good luck

Posted on: 2013/8/1 12:37

From Dauphin PA
I waded they Susky Saturday with my nephews. Near Marysville area. Tossing spinners for bass. Caught 18-20 myself and the kids combined for another 6-8. We caught a mix of sizes from 8"-16". It's was then my last trip there (5 yrs ago). It looks promising when you catch some of the little guys. I remember 150 fish days up there with a dozen of the bass in the 18"-21" range. 5 years ago, I hardly caught any in that section. Maybe it's on its way back.

Posted on: 2013/8/1 13:30

Edited by Fishidiot on 2013/8/2 14:29:24

From Glen Rock PA
20 fish on the Susky is something to get excited about I have caught 1 susky SMB in 4 different attempts! It may not be on a come back but is good to hear!

As for Perry County...it has been good to me as a visitor.

One more note: Pittmans riverside Campground...very nice, well kept great prices, right next to river access, BUT bring ear plugs or a hard side camper! The trains! All night the trains!!!!

Posted on: 2013/8/1 14:04

From Lancaster
glenrock,

I enjoyed meeting you briefly at T-town on Friday before you guys set off. Sounds like you guys had a great time. Fishidiot and I had a nice evening wading on the T-town pool. It was my first time flyfishing the Juniata so I learned a lot from FI (he is a wealth of information). We didn't hit the topwater bite like you guys did but I did manage to catch a couple smallies on a chartruese Stealth Bomber in the final hour of the day. I probably caught about 20 fish (SMB, Rock Bass, Redbreasts and Fallfish). All in all, I had a great evening and we also saw a few sporadic dobsonflies hitting the surface. We didn't see a major hatch of them but none the less they are really cool to see. Glad to hear you had a good time. The Juniata River is a gem!

Posted on: 2013/8/1 14:21

From Glen Rock PA
Hey dc410

right back at ya, glad to meet up with you and Fishidiot! Wish we had had a shorter option for floating that eve 3 miles instead of 6, would have liked to spend a little more time with you guys.

good to hear you did well and were able to fish along side FI.

Posted on: 2013/8/1 14:44

From Gettysburg
Quote:

glenrockonthefly wrote:
Hey all
So first off I am not sure what county I was in...so any help would be appreciated.
!

The section you floated starts in Juniata Co but crosses the border into Perry.

Nice report - glad you're a Juniata fan. It's long been my favorite bass river. Also, some good news on bass fishing in the lower Susky. There's still bass there too and if you mainly want to target big fish and don't mind working hard for 'em, they can still make for a good trip (although I rarely fish the lower Susky in the summer for bass anymore). Maybe I'll give the Susky a try this summer - would be nice to visit some of my old hotspots from the 1990s.

If you're an outdoorsman, Perry County is paradise! Very under-rated and filled with all sorts of beautiful country and outdoor options that so many folks miss as they drive up the highway to the supposedly better country up north.
Knock Perry all yuh want while you drive 2-3 more hours to Potter or the Poconos. I'll stay closer to home and have a mighty good time.

Posted on: 2013/8/1 16:00

Edited by Fishidiot on 2013/8/2 14:31:52

From Gettysburg
This thread was edited for content.

Please keep in mind that the moderators staff's tolerance for extraneous nonsense and material that pushes the boundaries of site policy is limited. This is particularly true here in Stream Reports as well as the Beginner's Forum.
Thanks,
Dave W

Posted on: 2013/8/2 14:41

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com