Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Juniata River, Mifflin/Juniata Co's, 01/05/11 (Muskie Fishing)
From Gettysburg
Although it's been cold down here in the southcentral, we've had relatively little precip this winter and the large rivers are running at a rather nice level and, at least the last few days, have been mainly clear of ice. I like to try and get out at least once a winter for some river muskie fishin and, although I usually use conventional gear, decided today to hard core it purely with the long rod. And besides, tying muskie flies is too much fun - gotta use 'em sometime.
Anyway, water was low and rather clear in most sections I hit with a temp of 36 degrees F; not sure of air temp but my guides were freezing; partly cloudy with some flurries. Some ice along the edges and one favorite trib of mine was completely solid, otherwise open water. Saw no fishermen. Unfortunately, didn't see any fish either - not even a follow. Cold, tough day of fishing.
That's muskie fishing. Just gotta keep throwin.

Attach file:

jpg  J1.jpg (207.61 KB)
26_4d2508476d7e8.jpg 639X479 px

jpg  J2.jpg (255.83 KB)
26_4d250855a4552.jpg 639X479 px

Posted on: 2011/1/5 19:11

Re: Juniata River, Mifflin/Juniata Co's, 01/05/11 (Muskie Fishing)

From Pittsburgh
Good deal. Glad to hear someone is getting after toothy critters. I've been meaning to get down on the Allegheny, but haven't found the time.
Winter can be slow, but can yield some big fish, too! Did you hit spots where you've had success in the past?

Posted on: 2011/1/5 21:41

From Gettysburg
Quote:

David wrote:
Did you hit spots where you've had success in the past?

Yeah, I've got a milk run of favorite spots. I'll drive upstream and then work my way downstream stopping usually at three or four spots and fsihing each for not more than an hour or so. Had I been using conventional gear I might have stayed in certain spots longer but I know these areas pretty well and I'd say I fished 'em pretty thoroughly with the fly rod even if I wasn't able to cast as far. Most of these are pretty tight spots fairly close to shore. There have been times in the past where I've seen multiple muskies at these locations but just couldn't move 'em this time. I rarely go out in the canoe in winter preferring to fish from shore or wade although yesterday would have been a good day for a boat. If you can hit the Allegheny River anytime soon, this would be a good time to hit a muskie, especially if we see a warming trend.

Posted on: 2011/1/6 15:32

From Mechanicsburg, PA
Have you ever taken any of the bigger ones on the fly? I have taken some small ones but have never targeted them. Just have caught them while bass fishing.

Posted on: 2011/1/7 8:55

From Pittsburgh
I've not taken any big ones, but have had some follows and swipes from fish that made me reconsider wading in the area.

Posted on: 2011/1/7 9:04

From Gettysburg
I've taken a fair number of 40+ inch fish with conventional gear but doubt I'll ever hook a 50 incher. In two decades I have seen perhaps a couple fish here in PA rivers that may have been fifty but didn't hook 'em. It's been years since I've caught a musky on a fly rod and have only caught small ones.

There's some hard core musky fly fishing cult guys, mainly based in northern WI and they get trophy class fish on the long rod mostly by fishing rivers from a drift boat. Here's some motivation:
www.muskyoutfitters.com

Posted on: 2011/1/7 15:03

From Lewistown
When I saw that this thread had picute attachments I was hoping to see some fish.
Nice report though. I need to do more warm-water fishing for muskie next summer. Being realativily new to Lewistown I've focused on trout and the Juniata is intimidating to me. I guess I'll learn as I go along though.

Posted on: 2011/1/7 15:16

From Westmoreland Co
I'm determined to catch a muskie on the fly this year. I went out just a couple times last year with some half hearted attempts at it but once the ice rolls off the water this year it's game on. I'm working on a larger variety and sizes of flies as we speak.

David if you ever want fish the allegheny from a boat let me know. It's not big or fancy or powerful for that matter but it floats. The 8 horse outboard and troller are better than rowing and it'll float in 6" of water.

Man I'd love to nab a 40" or better fish on the fly! It'll definitely build patience I have no doubt.

Posted on: 2011/1/7 15:17

From Gettysburg
Student,
Thanks for the offer. I've actually never fished the Allegheny but it's a first class muskie river. I've posted this link before, it's some good advice on river muskie fishing and shows what may be the largest muskie caught in PA in the last several decades - caught from the Allegheny River:
http://fishandboat.com/pafish/musky/a ... v_dec/00musky_fishing.htm

Very few folks around here fish muskies with FF gear. I usually get out a few times a year, almost always on rivers. Although I had several good shots at 40 inch fish on flies last year, I didn't get a single strike from a muskie in 2010. I think it's necessary to post fishing reports that indicate tough or poor fishing as it puts fishing reports in the proper perspective and helps balance out the glory reports with big fish pics. This is especially true for muskie fishing as an uninformed beginner to this game might see links like I posted further up this thread and get the mistaken impression they're gonna have grip and grin pics with big muskies on their first trip. Sure, it's possible but highly unlikely. Muskie fishing is about casting and persistence. If you're numbers guy who likes catching fish, you might want to stick to bass and trout.

Mkern,
Please check your PM.

Posted on: 2011/1/7 15:47

From Westmoreland Co
haha. Well I guess I should have been more specific to which David I was referring. Although FI you're more than welcome on my boat anytime, especially for Muskie, I was offering to the 'other' David in the thread. He and I have exchanged a bit of info before on muskie fishing.

I figured the geographical difference in location would prohibit you (FI) and I from targeting muskie together. If you're ever on this side of the state looking for the toothy critters though look me up. I'm always up for learning new tips and techniques for uncaught species.

PS FI I wouldn't mind seeing a few toothy pictures myself. Can't let Mkern get all the satisfaction!

Posted on: 2011/1/7 16:41

From Pittsburgh
Love to SOS...We'll see if we can't coerce FI to join us!!! I don't think it would be a tough sell!
We'll also have to hit KstonePD and Moraine right at ice out (the ice out's are usually about a week apart) to get some wading still water fish, too!

Posted on: 2011/1/7 18:33

From Gettysburg
Sounds like a plan. Warm Water Insurgents out while it's still cold.

Posted on: 2011/1/7 21:47

From Mount Joy, PA
Quote:

MKern wrote:
Being realativily new to Lewistown I've focused on trout and the Juniata is intimidating to me.

You'll have to attend the WW Jam if it's run on the Juniata again. It's actually a very fishable river in the summer months under normal conditions. Taking part in the float trip is a great way to cover a lot of water and get a feel for it.

Posted on: 2011/1/12 22:27

From Dallastown, PA
WG, with this weather I yearn to return to that day. It was delightful.

Posted on: 2011/1/12 22:30

From Mount Joy, PA
We didn't catch many fish, but we had one hell of a nice float!

Posted on: 2011/1/14 11:34

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com