Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Juniata River, Mifflin County, 7/13/13

From Glen Rock PA
Spent this past Saturday floating the Juniata River in a kayak 3 people fishing 2 just spinning rods, spin and fly for me.

We launched in Lewistown at access on River Acess Road at about 12:30
Take out at PFBC launch 6 or so miles downstream along rt 322. 7:00pm

Weather was mostly clouds some sun, low 80's
Water was slightly cloudy but visibility was 3-4 feet most of the time, not sure on water temp low 80 would be my guess.

All I can say is can't wait to go back!!! This was my first time on the J and it is good smallmouth territory and big fish! Let me also stae i did not come prepared, lots came up week before the trip and I had no time to tie flies or get to fly shop or even stock up on lures.

cuaght first fish 50 yards from launch on 3rd cast and was still hooking fish near pull out. I did not keep count but most likely landed 30 fish hooked plenty more and had lots of hits. My largest fish was 16 inch or so and most were between 12 and 15. My buddy landed a 18 incher on a spinner.

I had better luck on spinning rod usinf first a Bomber-B chartruse 1/4 ounch that I have had for 15 or more years, lost it 1 hour or so into float bummer cause they were hitting it hard. Had a lot of action on a puppy spook (Zara) lost that to a tree after an hour! Had a few with a chartruse single blade spinnerbait.

Flyrod: A few on olive wolly bugger, a few on black popper and a few on size1 red/chartruese clouser.

Considering I was not as prepared as i could have been i am very please with the day. I also did not have my anchor and could have done well if i could have set up in faster water for 10-15 min at a time.

Heading back july 26/27 anyone interested in joining up PM me.

Sean

Posted on: 2013/7/16 10:23

Re: Juniata River, Mifflin County, 7/13/13

From York, PA
Is this fishable in a sit on top kayak or is the water too rough?

Posted on: 2013/7/16 12:30

From Glen Rock PA
I would think it is very fishable in a sit on top, very few rapids I don't know if that will change if the water level drops much. I had water splash into my sit-in (9foot recreational) only 1 or 2 times along the entire float, lots of slow water.

Posted on: 2013/7/16 12:55

From SEPA
Nice going! Top water can be good at times, I fancy a popper for that. I hear night fishing can work too. PM sent about July 26-27. Good luck!

Posted on: 2013/7/16 14:26

From Central PA
Good to hear about your fun day. I have lived near and fished the Juniata all my life. Love it!!!! It can be a bear at times and we all know about it's ups and downs BUT......... it's quality. Nice choice on section to float too. Thanks for sharing!

Posted on: 2013/7/16 21:11

From Gettysburg
Good report - great to hear the "J" treated you well.

It can be a moody river and I've caught the skunk there more than once. Recall the PAFF WW jam in 2010 was just below where you fished and a whole flotilla of very good FFers caught only a handful of bass. Nevertheless, that section has a very good population of SMBs in several size year classes as well as trophy sized fish and recent studies have confirmed this.

Sometimes spin fishing is a good way to learn a new WW river as it allows you to fish more efficiently and learn patterns such as where fish hold and what color/speed lure they want. Learning these facets with spin gear will greatly shorten the learning curve and set you up for the next trip with fly gear (spin fishing is also much easier from a kayak).

If I could pick just one river to fly fish for WW game fish for the rest of my life I'd take the "J' without hesitation.

Posted on: 2013/7/17 8:31

From Glen Rock PA
I agree with the spin fishing comments...very good way to cover the water and maybe an advantage in the deep water. As for fishing from a kayak...always interesting, I've been fishing from mine for 12 years or so and it seems every body of water presents new challenges to learning how casting will effect how you drift etc... I wil bring my anchor next time to help steady me more then anything.

This is looking like we could be a mini-jam forming we are up to 3 for fishing the eve of the 26th and morning of the 27th...

Posted on: 2013/7/17 9:45

From SCPA
Quote:

Fishidiot wrote:

If I could pick just one river to fly fish for WW game fish for the rest of my life I'd take the "J' without hesitation.

Amen. I spent countless hours on the J when I was at college in Huntingdon. Became very familiar with the stretch from mt. Union up to the confluence at Alexandria. Mostly spin fished at that time, but had many days with similar results as the OP. Even hooked into a big 20 inch brown on a green tube all the way down in huntingdon in early spring. Your report took me back to those days!

Posted on: 2013/7/17 9:50

From Gettysburg
Quote:

klingy wrote:
[quote]
Fishidiot wrote:
Even hooked into a big 20 inch brown on a green tube all the way down in huntingdon in early spring. !

Neat. This is actually not surprising as the Juniata River (like many WW rivers in central PA) actually has wild brown trout, often big, during the colder months of the year.

Posted on: 2013/7/17 10:48

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com