HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 8 »

Re: Hammer Creek - Lanc/Lebanon Co

From LV
Quote:

The_Sasquatch wrote:
After threatening me, he told me that although the land owners don't post the land at Odie road, they may not want me fishing there. I told him I spoke w/ two women earlier and they were fine w/ it. He kind of grimaced. I had an okay exchange w/ him after that. I think he saw I wasn't some slob out there leaving bait containers and beer cans all over the place...but I never did have the guts to ask if I could fish on his land.

Maybe it really wasn't the landowners, maybe it was just him, and that is harrassment and he is breaking the law.
I fished it once with good flows and didn't see or catch a trout.

Posted on: 2013/10/21 9:40

Re: Hammer Creek, Lancaster/Lebanon Cos., 9/23-27/13

From Ephrata, PA
I fished Hammer on Saturday. Got the "Trifecta" except the bow was obviously stocked. Flows were great, time to lay off. The brookies are definitely getting ready to spawn. The oranges I saw were outstanding. The size of the brookies never ceases to amaze me.

Posted on: 2013/10/21 11:17

From Lancaster, PA
Has anyone ever contacted the Boy Scouts to see if they can get permission to fish that stretch?

Posted on: 2/9 21:16

From Ephrata, PA
I'll PM you about that.

Posted on: 2/10 10:55

From Hollidaysburg (originally Lititz)
I just checked the website for the Lancaster County Conservancy and it still says that fishing is prohibited at the Upper Hopewell Preserve, which is the water between 322 and the upper bridge along Speedwell forge road. This has never been well marked along the preserve, but fishing is not permitted per the conservancy rules.

Posted on: 2/22 9:39

From Ephrata, PA
I really don't think it's EVER been enforced. That area is pounded by baiters and spinning guys in the early season. I confess I fish it almost year 'round, though I haven't fished that stretch as much this past year.

It is clearly marked as "No Hunting". If the conservancy doens't want fishing between those bridges, they need to mark it streamside and mark it clearly. I have heard this before about the stretch, and have searched diligently for signage, at least on the Pumping Station Rd side. There is nothing. Again, only "No Hunting" signs.

Posted on: 2/22 10:56

From Lancaster County
Quote:

The_Sasquatch wrote:
I really don't think it's EVER been enforced. That area is pounded by baiters and spinning guys in the early season. I confess I fish it almost year 'round, though I haven't fished that stretch as much this past year.

It is clearly marked as "No Hunting". If the conservancy doens't want fishing between those bridges, they need to mark it streamside and mark it clearly. I have heard this before about the stretch, and have searched diligently for signage, at least on the Pumping Station Rd side. There is nothing. Again, only "No Hunting" signs.

I did the same thing the first and only time I fished it; fished right up through oblivious to the no fishing rule. I saw the note on the Conservancy website a bit later. Posted or not, if you know a landowner prohibits fishing, do you still continue to fish it?

Posted on: 2/22 16:29

From Da 'Berg, PA
i'd like to fish this creek - whats a good proxy stream to use as a guide to water levels ? - the swattie ?

Posted on: 2/22 19:34

From Ephrata, PA
You know, I'm tired of this debate. I'm going to email the conservancy. I don't give a crap what their website says, to be honest with you. If they don't want fishing, they have to post it. PA is a right to use state, which means if they don't want people in the stream on their land, they have to make it known. Posting a sentence on their website is hardly making it known. Kind of like "Hitchhiker's Guide" where they say it was clearly posted that Earth was scheduled for destruction. I'm not convinced they don't want to allow fishing. Otherwise, why would they post it for hunting but not fishing?

I'll let you guys know what I find out from the conservancy. I'm not mad or anything, but I think it's time someone goes right to the horse's mouth. Like I said, it gets pounded with bait guys in the early season. I can't imagine the conservancy is ignorant to that fact.

Posted on: 2/22 22:05

From South Lebanon Township, PA
Best bet for stream flow data on Hammer is to correlate it with the one on Conewago, maybe 10-15 miles west. That being said Hammer is a limestoner and will have a more stable flow than Conewago generally speaking. It will rise and fall, but to less extremes.

Posted on: 2/22 23:30

From Da 'Berg, PA
Thanks Swattie, always good to know or have an idea of the flows before you drive for an hour.

I don't know why the conservancy would prohibit fishing, they allow it in their other properties - Trout Run for example.

If you also look at their rules and regs it does NOT say fish only where permitted like it does with hunting.

Part of their mission statement is to conserve land and provide recreational opportunities.

Posted on: 2/23 8:34

From Lancaster County
Quote:

The_Sasquatch wrote:
You know, I'm tired of this debate. I'm going to email the conservancy. I don't give a crap what their website says, to be honest with you. If they don't want fishing, they have to post it. PA is a right to use state, which means if they don't want people in the stream on their land, they have to make it known. Posting a sentence on their website is hardly making it known. Kind of like "Hitchhiker's Guide" where they say it was clearly posted that Earth was scheduled for destruction. I'm not convinced they don't want to allow fishing. Otherwise, why would they post it for hunting but not fishing?

I'll let you guys know what I find out from the conservancy. I'm not mad or anything, but I think it's time someone goes right to the horse's mouth. Like I said, it gets pounded with bait guys in the early season. I can't imagine the conservancy is ignorant to that fact.

I emailed them last year, more out of curiousity why fishing was prohibited on certain properties (donor deed restrictions?). Never got a response. All I gained was getting added to their email spam list, including several messages from someone who did not know how to use Bcc or email list manegement software.

My question to you was somewhat rhetorical, but if everyone is doing it, it's not posted clearly but their website says it's closed to fishing, the law may be on our side but is it ethical to fish it?

Posted on: 2/23 22:44

From Lancaster County
Quote:

geebee wrote:
Thanks Swattie, always good to know or have an idea of the flows before you drive for an hour.

I don't know why the conservancy would prohibit fishing, they allow it in their other properties - Trout Run for example.

If you also look at their rules and regs it does NOT say fish only where permitted like it does with hunting.

Part of their mission statement is to conserve land and provide recreational opportunities.

Your idea of recreational opportunities and someone else's idea may differ. Someone donating land may consider fishing offensive, for instance. I hope Squatch gets a definitive response.

Keep in mind that while most Conservancy lands are open for public use, they are still a private landowner and have the right to set the rules for use of their land.

Posted on: 2/23 22:48

From Ephrata, PA
Quote:

salmonoid wrote:
Quote:

The_Sasquatch wrote:

I emailed them last year, more out of curiousity why fishing was prohibited on certain properties (donor deed restrictions?). Never got a response. All I gained was getting added to their email spam list, including several messages from someone who did not know how to use Bcc or email list manegement software.

My question to you was somewhat rhetorical, but if everyone is doing it, it's not posted clearly but their website says it's closed to fishing, the law may be on our side but is it ethical to fish it?

Yeah I get what you're saying. Hopefully I get a response back and we get clarification 100% one way or another. I'm basically just thinking there's a contradiction between what's on the website and what is happening streamside. So either they're making a mistake with what is posted on the web, or they're making a mistake with what is (not) posted along the stream. Either way, for their sake, they need to clear it up you know? How many people are going to their website to find this info out?

Posted on: 2/24 8:24

From Chester County

It's very clear in the website:

Land Management

This property is closed to hunting and fishing.

Link to source: http://www.lancasterconservancy.org/p ... hopewell-nature-preserve/

I don't believe it's either ethical or legal to fish there.

The owner(s) of any property have the right to exclude or limit recreational or any type of use of their property.

Posted on: 2/24 8:54

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 8 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com