Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Fishing Creek, Clinton County, 5/1/2013

From Collegeville, PA
Fished the Narrows section from 6PM to 8PM. Spent most of the time fishing a dry dropper rig in a riffle flowing into one of the classic deep long pools in that section of the stream. I've always heard that this stream has a small brookie population, but I wasn't able to confirm that until now. I found a small pod of brookies and was able to catch a few of them. They were lighter colored fish that were around keeper size. I was also able to catch one average sized brown on a green caddis larvae. The insect activity was pretty light with caddis, midges, and even a few early sulphurs hatching. I was hoping that a nice spinner fall of some sort would occur near dark, but that didn't happen.

Posted on: 2013/5/2 18:07

Re: Fishing Creek, Clinton County, 5/1/2013

I caught a big Brookie in that stream last year, at least 12 inches. Real pretty male.

Posted on: 2013/5/8 21:57

From Harrisburg
Quote:
I've always heard that this stream has a small brookie population,

Streams got a phenominal brookie population, just gotta find'em.
It was a wonderful search, with many rewards along the way.

Posted on: 2013/5/9 5:30

From Enola, Pa.
I caught some very colorful brookies in fishing creek over the years. One I'll never forget it was gorgeous.

PaulG

Posted on: 2013/5/10 12:43

From Monessen, PA
How can the brookie pops be phenomenal when you need to know where to find them, Dan? Some sections of the stream have nice numbers, but even there, at least in my limited experience the brown trout dominate. I have only caught a few and they were smallish. This stream, though, would be an interesting candidate for WBTEA or however you shorten that special reg designation.

Posted on: 2013/5/10 17:40

From Harrisburg
Brownies do dominate.
I've caught lots more than a few. For me very few were smallish.
Just about the worst place to catch brookies there is the most popular stretch.

Posted on: 2013/5/13 5:04

From Gettysburg
Quote:

Squaretail wrote:
Brownies do dominate.
Just about the worst place to catch brookies there is the most popular stretch.

Agreed. There are lot of brookies there but they're usually localized. With this said, I'm personally nowhere near figuring this stream out. Afish got a large wild brookie in the popular section at last year's jam.
Yuh never know.

Posted on: 2013/5/13 8:14

From Harrisburg
Dear Board,

Twenty five years ago the upper section of the Narrows was predominantly brook trout, and they grew to good sizes too. Ten or 11 inch fish were common and 13 to 15 inch were less common but nowhere near rare.

From the walking bridge upstream back then I'd say that 75 to 80% of the fish I caught from there up to the Tylersville Hatchery were brookies.

Nowadays the only brook trout I get in that stretch seem to look like they have washed out of the hatchery during a high water event. I've caught some larger ones up to about 17 inches but to me they clearly looked like hatchery fish with tattered rounded fins.

I do however catch some brook trout further downstream especially in the section above Uncle Tom's Cabin but they are generally small, like 7 or 8 inches tops. It's been quite a long time since I've caught any brook trout larger than that in the downstream area of the Narrows.

I wonder what happened to the brook trout? Given that Tylersville Hatchery has been expanded I think that common wisdom places at least some of the blame on the hatchery. I know I'm guilty of that.

Still, I think that there is more at work than the hatchery. Personally I think that fishing pressure plays a role. Twenty five years ago you'd be hard pressed to find 6 or 8 cars parked along the 5 mile stretch of the Narrows even during a "hatch" weekend in mid-May.

Nowadays you'd be hard pressed to find a place to park during mid-May. I think the pressure combined with the ability of brown trout to grow larger more quickly has had a greater effect on the brook trout than any other factor. Once thing is for certain, development hasn't contributed. I don't think that Valley has changed much at all since I started visiting.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2013/5/13 9:13
"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel, and they tortured the timber and stripped all the land. Well they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken, then they wrote it all down as the progress of man."

From Central, PA

It's a great trout stream the trout are hard to catch. Above Tylersville hatchery all the way up used to be great fishing has really seemed to go downhill as I think it did below the federal hatchery to where it is stocked. Alot of big trout have been caught in that stream both brook trout and brown trout.

Posted on: 2013/5/13 12:17

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com