Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Fishing Creek, CLinton County, 11/13/08

Thanks for all the info guys! I thought alot about what you guys said in your reply's. I especially loved what the greenghost said, " there's something haunting about fishing creek." Yes Greenghost I am haunted by waters! Of all the blue ribbon choices in the area I choose her.

Posted on: 2008/11/16 12:11

Quote:

Fishidiot wrote:
I agree that the correct name is simply Fishing Creek - and readily admit to being one of those who add the incorrect "big" prefix. The widespread use of "Big Fishing Creek" can likely be explained by the presence, also in Clinton Co, of Little Fishing Creek. Local fishermen, in casual conversation, get in the habit of using "big" to distinguish waterways. The name Fishing Creek is very common (we have one near me in Maryland too) and this habit is understandable. This is common with other creeks that have the same names and and are geographically close - they simply come to be referred as Big and Little.

That's probably correct. There is also a Little Fishing Creek in Columbia County.

So both streams have the official name of Fishing Creek. And both are often called Big Fishing Creek, to distinguish them from their neighboring Little Fishing Creeks.

So these names don't provide any help in distinguishing between the Fishing Creek in Columbia County and the one in Clinton County. You have to say which county specifically.

There are 10 Fishing Creeks in PA, most not nearly as well known as those two.

Posted on: 2008/11/16 12:54

From Lock Haven, PA
Isn't the majority of the one in Columbia County private? The one in Clinton County is so much more famous then the one in Columbia County and mentioning the "Narrows" gives it away as the Clinton County Fishing Creek although I hate that secton. I live here in Clinton County (5 minutes from Fishing Creek) and even here we don't say "Big" Fishing Creek. The other stream is called Little Fishing Creek and is always refered to as Little Fishing Creek so when someone says Fishing Creek it only refers to the main stream. I must agree though people don't have much luck and I can't say I catch many numbers of fish most of the time but I get my fair share in both size and numbers. Double digits is very hard to do most of the time on Fishing Creek. If I had to take a bet of catching 10+fish or catching one 18"+ I'd take the 18"+ bet any day.

Posted on: 2008/11/16 20:48

From Pittsburgh
Bigjohn,

Just curious.
You say that you catch large fish in fishing creek.
I'm certainly not gonna ask where, but are you getting them on dries, or underneath?
I've fished the stream from above the narrows, down to the mouth, and just can't seem to catch anything over 15".
I'm talking from a strictly dryfly point of view however

Posted on: 2008/11/17 7:59

Fishing Creek to me is a tough nut to crack. Been low and clear for what seems like years. Missed a couple big hatches by days there just add to my frustrations there. The few browns and brookies I have caught from those waters been very colorful.

Humphrey's hole. haha

Posted on: 2008/11/17 12:11

From Pittsburgh
Quote:

acristickid wrote:
Fishing Creek to me is a tough nut to crack. Been low and clear for what seems like years. Missed a couple big hatches by days there just add to my frustrations there. The few browns and brookies I have caught from those waters been very colorful.

Humphrey's hole. haha

Paul, if you're referring to the big deep hole just below the tylersville hatchery - that's the toughest hole to fish in the whole creek IMO
And I have caught a few fish there over the years. But I don't even stop there anymore - too much better water downstream

Posted on: 2008/11/17 12:36

DFG- yes. Saw many large trout there midge'n on my first trip to the stream about 10 years ago.

Posted on: 2008/11/17 12:50

From Harrisburg
The 1st time I ever went there, I took 16 that were all on beetles.
Since then I'm lucky to take half that many on the average day.
But it does have a mystique and the wild browns are the prettiest in the state that I have found.
I saw a grannom caddis hatch there this past april that was very majestic as there were thousands of them literally sparkling in the sun at 10:00 am. Wished I had a camcorder.
Top 5 in Pa to me.

Posted on: 2008/11/17 12:52

From Bozeman
Only fished it once at the jam. Water was high, and I had no mojo that day.

This thread is going to convince me to spend a day or two on it next time I'm up there. I love Spring so much that I spend my whole time in centre county on it. Time to spread out and explore, I guess.

Posted on: 2008/11/17 12:55

From Central, PA
My pap always calls lilttle fishing creek dry run. I never really did well in the narrows fished minnie and streamers alot over the years in the lower section below the trophey section and have caught alot of big browns.

Posted on: 2008/11/17 20:03

From Lock Haven, PA
The narrows is the most over rated section of stream in the state in my opinion. I love how it attracts people though. I catch all my big ones on nymphs. I fish dries maybe 10 times a year max on fishing creek (probably grannoms once or twice maybe a hendreckson, and a bwo, a sulphur, or an ant and beatle). The other 40 or so times I fish it I'm nymphing or occasionally throw a streamer and even on those days I do throw a dry its only for a little bit. Every single time I'm out I'm starting with nymphs so you might as well say I fish nymphs 50+ times a year there. The fish in my photo to the right came from Fishing Creek. A lot of my success is just knowing where the trout sit and I keep pounding away. If the spot looks good I know there's a fish there. One time it might be a dink but the next time you never know. I will fish a spot usually at least 2 times. I will fish it and if nothing I'll go back to it like an hour later and give it another shot. I cover big chunks of the stream and I'm not afraid to do some walking. I've caught some really big trout out of some really shallow spots but just a few inches difference in depth is all it took to hold a big fish. I know the stream so well I could almost fish it blindfolded lol. I also have my nymph patters narrowed down so much that I basically almost fish the same things over and over again and I have one patter that has probably caught 95% of my fish 18"+.

Posted on: 2008/11/17 22:35

From Lewistown
I do like the narrows section, and fish it a majority of the time I go to Fishing Creek. However, that's for the majesticness of the area as well as the fish.

Big John is right, there is better holding water elsewhere on the stream (he has also mentioned pretty exact locations in the past).
The part of the stream where I believe he catches and fishes most remindes me of Spring, but with better pockets and slightly deeper.

Posted on: 2008/11/18 7:56

From Central, PA
I only live 10 minutes from the narrows but I find myself always going to Spring Creek, Penns Creek, Elk Creek not that its not a good stream it is for sure but the narrows for me was always tight and most of the time really shallow is picture perfect views for sure can find better holding water not only below but have caught alot of trout above the trophey section. I also John fish nymphs alot there have done well on hoppers, beetles, and ants also. John you ever hear the hole people call the wagon wheel? Didnt know if was a name most say but have heard people in my family call it that just curious if you knew where it was or not.

Posted on: 2008/11/18 8:06

From Lock Haven, PA
Yup I know where the Wagon Wheel is. Thats one of the big farms or it used to be called that I don't think it is anymore. It is probably the deepest hole in the creek but it doesn't flow at all. Dangerous wadding there too because the other side of the stream is nothing but mud and you sink right in. If for some reason that is not the "Wagon Wheel" I do know where there is an old water wheel but there's no hole right there really.

Oh and just to let everyone know that does fish Fishing Creek...a big section of the stocked section right outside Mill Hall (I have caught 20" wild browns there) is being talked about getting posted or having a white water rafting course put in. I'm very worried about this and trying to find ways to get this changed. It is probably the most popular stretch of the steam even counting the narrows. Very sad if this happens.

Posted on: 2008/11/18 8:35

From Central, PA
Do you mean by Gilmores store towards cedar run that way John?

Posted on: 2008/11/18 10:40

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com