Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Falling Springs-Franklin County-9/18/13

From Hunker
9-18-13 Falling Springs Branch..(Earlier in town i walked the banks of falling spring where i met a guy named Took who is a fly angler who writes excellent blogs on PAs trout streams, and you can see his blogs at thetroutscout.net to read some of his great storys.) Today was by far my best day in the heritage section on FSB this year, today was a quantity/quality day and I lost track after 15 or so fish. I knew drys wouldnt entice too many fish being that the temps were low, but I fooled one on a 14 Letort Hopper at Edwards Ave and missed 2 more. Then switched to an olive nymph and picked up 3 more little rainbows, one of them being in a tiny pocket of fast water that I never knew would hold a trout because of the highly turbid water. After the quick trip to Edwards Ave is when the trip started getting good up at the Greenway parking lot. My all time favorite fly for the heritage section is a size 14 olive wholly bugger, yes it's rather small, but it works better than any other fly I have thrown at them, and I hate revealing the secret fly but I trust that the people who read this report release these fish with care.(hopefully). I started at the bridge and threw my wholly bugger under from upstream and let the line go slack, half way under I let it swing and a sharp tug was felt and a nice 13"-14 beautifully colored rainbow came to hand. I then walked upstream to the next bridge and did the same thing and got the same results with one rainbow being about 10" and the other around 13". I proceeded up stream to the next bridge and tossed the beat up bugger under and as soon as I started the swing a rod bending reel screeching fish took alot of line off, I was prepared with my 4x tippet for I got him landed quickly for it was another rainbow of about 14-15" my biggest yet today . The day was getting late and I decided to fish some new water, and I intended to walk however long to find new water, and I'm sure glad I did. All this new water, far from the roads looked prime. I kept my bugger on and fished a beautiful bend in the stream that looked to be 2 ft deep near the bank, I pulled 3 rainbows of around 8-10 inches out of that one hole. I kept moving downstream through canopied woods where s nice deep run extended for about 35ft catching a small rainbow here and there, I noticed a huge fish swim up under the far bank, but I still was able to pull 2 more rainbows out of the run, both about 10". I was ecstatic, and was ready to go home when I noticed I missed the one bridge down below greenway meadow, I slowly crawled over to see 3 fish rising under the bridge and the one looked big. I stealthily tossed my bugger to the far side so it would go passed all the risers and as soon as it hit the water, I saw a wake in the water shoot over to where my bugger just landed, I set the hook and my line took off, the big trout ran far over to a huge log in the water on the far side, but I was able to put just enough pressure on to steer him away with my 7' 4weight, seconds later a 16" wild brown was quickly admired and released. Couldn't of ended my day any better.

Posted on: 2013/9/20 15:54

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com