Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Elk and Walnut Creek, Erie County, 12/8/2010, by the machine

From da' fane
i found "tard" to be more socially correct...

rock on "tardo polo"...

second day was sortta like first except no walnut for us...
fished upper elk around highway79... did walk to find fish..

streamers today, fish had no interest in eggs or egg pattern..

these fish need calorie to survive cold..

minnow are on the menu...

Posted on: 2010/12/10 9:59

~machine

VISUALS ALTERNATE REALITY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgUbQNzCvh4&feature=related

From da' fane
back in god country today... oakie doke tomorrow.

Posted on: 2010/12/10 10:00

~machine

From Monessen, PA
keep us advised.

Posted on: 2010/12/10 10:44

From Eastern PA
Quote:
keep us advised.

I believe it's "Rock On" in The Machines world.

Quote:
Is being "slightly retarded" anything like being slightly pregnant?

No. There are clearly varying degrees of mental retardation. 50-69 = Mild Retardation
35-49 = Moderate Retardation
20-34 = Severe Retardation
below 20 = Profound Retardation

I would think that 50-69 would really suck. Because in that case you are smart enough to know that you are retarded. Below 50 I think the ignorance is bliss theory applies. Is 50-69 as bad as I think it would be Shane?

Posted on: 2010/12/10 17:55

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
Quote:
Is being "slightly retarded" anything like being slightly pregnant?

No. There are clearly varying degrees of mental retardation. 50-69 = Mild Retardation
35-49 = Moderate Retardation
20-34 = Severe Retardation
below 20 = Profound Retardation

I would think that 50-69 would really suck. Because in that case you are smart enough to know that you are retarded. Below 50 I think the ignorance is bliss theory applies. Is 50-69 as bad as I think it would be Shane?

Bingo. There is no such thing as "slightly retarded". For the uninformed, the numbers listed by jdaddy are IQ scores. And before he too gets visited by the shame police, perhaps he should mention that Shane is studying to be a special education teacher, and he's not making an insult to Shane's intelligence. We are guilty of a thread hijack, however.

Posted on: 2010/12/10 20:56

From Eastern PA
Quote:
And before he too gets visited by the shame police, perhaps he should mention that Shane is studying to be a special education teacher, and he's not making an insult to Shane's intelligence. We are guilty of a thread hijack, however.

Hey, I just knew that he was in school to be a teacher, no idea on the special education thing. I was actually implying he is mildly retarded. Of course I was doing that knowing full well his computer is crashed and he could not reply, thus making my assertion even meaner. But I *think* we all know it was a joke.

Having said that, what is wrong with using the word retarded? There are retarded people in this world. It's like saying you can't use the word "depressed" because some people are diagnosed as "depressed".

It is a hi-jack, so maybe we move the discussion to OT?

Posted on: 2010/12/10 21:35

From York, PA
Having said that, what is wrong with using the word retarded? There are retarded people in this world.

I agree! I know a lot of "retarded" folks.

Did you hear the reason Obama gave for trying for more tax cuts for the rich 2% while not even mentioning the Public Option?

Have you ever heard Bush read a paragraph without looking like a idiot?

How about folks on this site that attack me for saying Muddy Creek is getting shallower?

Strange days!

Posted on: 2010/12/11 0:29

From Monessen, PA
Would it matter to anyone's attitude toward the word "retarded" if they knew how "retarded" people feel about it, the parents, siblings and relatives of the mentally challenged and the social workers and professionals that deal with the condition as a life's devotion? I would, and I think it is not "Liberals" that are foisting this language on us, but rather common courtesy and decency toward those with the disability and those close to them in one way or another. It's not a condemnable sin to use impolite language, but it is, well, impolite.

Posted on: 2010/12/11 9:51

From Eastern PA
According to the CDC, intellectual disability is sometimes referred to as a cognitive disability or mental retardation. Frankly I believe mental retardation is sometimes referred to as intellectual disability, as the VAST majority of research on this subject is referred to as mental retardation. You only see occasional use of intellectual disability in the early 2000's and it becomes slightly more popular thereafter. So lets say intellectual disability is the new retarded. Doesn't that free up retarded as a word used to describe dumb people/actions but not to poke fun of the truly disabled?

Posted on: 2010/12/11 11:20

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
LOL I would not consider myself retarded, I would consider myself Learning Disabled or LD. Retard and Tard are not very nice things to say, but saying someone has a mild or moderate retardation is perfectly acceptable. According to a child's IEP that is how they are referred to. Many teachers actually will say MR when they talk about a child, and even try to stay away from the word Retardation. Special education teachers love to use abbreviations, from what I have learned. There are 3 levels of retardation Mild, Moderate and Severe. Mild retardation is basically a child with a small learning disability and is usually hard to notice. Moderate retardation is much more noticeable, but children can still cope but with help from an para professional. Severe retardation you will usually not see in a school. They will usually be in an Intermediate Unit with professional guidance. For the record I am going to school to become an elementary teacher, but I am going to minor in special education at Bloomsburg because it mean job security. With the wave of inclusion in school districts, it would be stupid not to get a background in special education.

Posted on: 2010/12/11 17:20

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Eastern PA
Quote:
With the wave of inclusion in school districts, it would be stupid not to get a background in special education.

Exactly what I said in my text to you, but maybe just a little more politically correct.

Posted on: 2010/12/11 20:35

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Yep, and thanks again for confirming what my thoughts were on my computer. And to think I was so close to going Office Space on my monitor.

Attach file:

jpg  office-space1.jpg (28.58 KB)
3949_4d042a3a8835d.jpg 420X281 px

Posted on: 2010/12/11 20:49

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Johnstown, PA
The same "politically correct" attitude applies to the word "crippled" i use it all the time to describe my condition (amputee) and the emotional responses i get from folks really surprised me. I've had people in the Health Related fields tell me "My god don't say that , say disabled or challenged" i can tell you the word doesn't bother me and I AM crippled. It seems to bother folks that are in perfect health. Now i intentionally use "crippled" to describe my condition especially when speaking with health and insurance folks , disabled or challenged don't convey the message as well IMO. I can't speak for the folks who are labeled "retarded" but i imagine they feel the same or similar.

Posted on: 2010/12/27 7:09

From da' fane
gooid post osprey....

words from human is just that word and anothers perseption
of what that humans word means to them or you...

its meaningless in the scheme of things...

we are ALL equal at least based on actions than anything...

rock on in spite of words..

meaning of being AWAKE and FREE...

Posted on: 2010/12/28 11:48

~machine

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com