Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 »

Re: Elk Creek, Erie County PA 12/5/2009

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
To me, the standard is to get a fish to attempt to eat your bait, hook him in the mouth area, and land him.

Ryguy's story fits with this standard just fine. None of the things Ramcatt mentioned (snagging, frog gig, net, etc.) do.

We all have a different standard, I guess.

Posted on: 2009/12/21 11:06

From Greensburg, PA
I don't see the connection...I also don't get all teary eyed over stocked fish...I also don't get the need to come off all "holier than thou" over a fishing method. I saw no where that he said he "poked" the fish with a stick as Ramcatt said. Some fool would have probably not seen them and waded thru there later anyway and moved them. Big friggin' deal. I have an idea. You fish your way and let others fish their way.

Posted on: 2009/12/21 11:07

From Bozeman
Quote:

Ramcatt wrote:
why not snagg it?
why not frog gig it?
why not just net it?
why not bank slit it?
why not beach it, hold it still with studded boots, and then kick it back into the stream for a release?

You first.

Oh, and what the other two said.

Posted on: 2009/12/21 11:10

my questions were in response to the jayL's idea that there should be no standards

i don't poke fish out of hard lies for the same reason i won't stand over top of them for 2hrs force feeding

and why come on here bragging like it is some kind of accomplishment

people read it on here and think its a good idea... then instead of 1 goon with a "poking stick" there are 10

there was no "holier than thou"... just a bit of common sense

like with anything... there are those who "get it" and those who don't

Posted on: 2009/12/21 11:19

From Bozeman
Quote:

Ramcatt wrote:
my questions were in response to the jayL's idea that there should be no standards

Don't put ideas in my head or words in my mouth. YOUR standards are not the default set. That's the only point I was making. Any stance otherwise is, in fact, "holier than thou".

Quote:

i don't poke fish out of hard lies for the same reason i won't stand over top of them for 2hrs force feeding

All you've managed to do is attempt to draw parallels. Tell us why it is wrong.
[/quote]

Quote:

and why come on here bragging like it is some kind of accomplishment

He's not bragging. He gave a report. In a reports forum. Of a trip he took with other board members.

Many of us know Ryan. He is not bragging.

Quote:

people read it on here and think its a good idea... then instead of 1 goon with a "poking stick" there are 10

Why does that bother you? The fish were previously uncatchable anyway.

Quote:

there was no "holier than thou"... just a bit of common sense

Isn't consistent with this:
Quote:

like with anything... there are those who "get it" and those who don't

If you're gonna act like a jerk, take it elsewhere.

Posted on: 2009/12/21 11:24

so you think poking and moving fish with a stick is good form?
what is a "uncatchable" fish?

Posted on: 2009/12/21 11:31

From Chester County
I’m not really appalled by it, but I wouldn’t do it. It’s a lot like some other practices such as the San Juan shuffle, stoning the pool, or chumming (where legal). It may help you catch fish, but it’s not my cup of tea.

I would consider it a challenge to fish that spot and try like heck to catch one under there, but everyone is different, and each to his own with fishing, as long as it’s legal.

Many times, actually all the time now-a-days, I stubbornly stick to fly tackle when I know darn well, under the conditions a spinning rod and/or bait would catch more fish. There’s nothing at all wrong with using spinning tackle, but to me it is the challenge of trying to catch, more than just the catching itself.

Posted on: 2009/12/21 11:42

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

Ramcatt wrote:

While I would do neither I find it worse "form" to call someone a "douche bag" while hiding behind the internet than to push a few fish upstream.

Posted on: 2009/12/21 11:53

From Bozeman
Quote:

Ramcatt wrote:
what is a "uncatchable" fish?

I never said that. Doesn't seem like my cup of tea either.

But I don't give a damn what you think about it, and that's all that matters, especially when you are going to act like a jerk to a friend of mine.

Posted on: 2009/12/21 12:02

cool

so you disagree with the practice, but agree with the person

Posted on: 2009/12/21 12:10

From Gettysburg
Ramcatt,
I see your point.
And you're a new fella on the forum who posted an opinion - an opinion you're entitled to post. While we're on the subject of standards ... might I humbly suggest that in the future, you choose language that is less profane. Ryguyfi is a well liked gentleman and respected member of this forum and is undeserving of such a characterization.

As for the method utilized in this particular case - I'm neutral. Since this is a steelhead scenario, it merits consideration that these streams are very crowded and the fish are "position transients" - they don't really hold in cover but rather migrate up and downstream with current flow and water conditions. I think it is fairly common practice for fishermen to occasionally disperse fish or "help 'em along" in their movement from one pool to another. I don't think it's a big deal.

Posted on: 2009/12/21 12:14

From Bozeman
Quote:

Ramcatt wrote:
cool

so you disagree with the practice, but agree with the person

I have no desire to participate, but have no problem with the practice.

To follow your lead: I don't bowl either. Doesn't mean I have anything against it.

For the duration of this exchange, you have done nothing but create strawmen, attempt to draw parallels, and deflect.

What is wrong about what Ryan did?

Posted on: 2009/12/21 12:20

From Harrisburg PA
While I don't necessarilly agree with the practice of "moving" fish, I don't believe it is the worst Erie practice I have either heard of or have seen in person.

Posted on: 2009/12/21 12:22

From Bozeman
Ramcatt,

I apologize if I sound like an ass, but my only point is this:

We can all have our opinions on the ethics of fishing. The way you handled yours in this situation was crappy at best, IMO of course. I have no problem with your views on the matter, just your delivery. Ryan's a nice guy, and I'm sure meant no harm. I have no problem with what he did, and suggest that those that do are probably a bit sensitive on the behalf of the fish.

I would imagine you owe him an apology to clear this all up, but that's on you.

Posted on: 2009/12/21 12:32

this is getting a bit repetitive...

i get it... he is your friend and while you may not agree, you won't say anything... cool

have fun force feeding paired up fish in the bathtub that you have kicked from cover... make sure you report how many you foul hook

wait a few months and you can start yanking them off the redds... thats tons of fun too

Posted on: 2009/12/21 12:33

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com