Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

East and Middle Branch White Clay Creek, Chester Co., 4/19/2014

From Media, PA
Started around 9:30 around the store and caught a couple before the hoards closed in. Water was clear and pushy at fifty degrees; bugs were mostly crane flies and a couple caddis; one riser all day. I wisely purchased a large Italian Hoagie from the store and headed downstream. Fished the preserve but avoided the DHALO area which was being pounded. Explored some new water and found a pretty nice distribution of fish. Mostly rainbows at first but several nice browns as the day wore on. Nicest fish was just over 14". Met a friend a little after noon; the fishing had slowed down a bit but we still found plenty. It did pick back up late afternoon. Around five we hiked down and found a patch of fast water which had some feisty rainbows that were willing. I gave my buddy a quick lesson in short line nymphing. We hooked another eight; I somehow hooked and landed four and he got another two; nice finish to a great day. Gave my GL3-3 wt. a nice workout landing around __ ty fish. Looked like the WCO was writing citations for special regs. infractions when we left.

Posted on: 4/19 20:44

Re: East and Middle Branch White Clay Creek, Chester Co., 4/19/2014

From Landenberg, PA
all of that is good to hear - Ed Guthrie is the new WCO and taking the job very seriously.

get a card from him - if you see poachers, call and he'll be there in 15 minutes.

I hope to get out tomorrow or Friday.

Posted on: 4/28 17:24

From Media, PA
Good luck; I'd go tomorrow if it's not pouring. They are calling for some serious rain, and by Fri. it could easily be blown out. I'm really happy we're are going to get rain since it spreads out the fish and protects them from the meat hunters to a certain extent. That said, I have been finding silly numbers of fish in every stream I've tried this year. They are going to restock many streams soon and the higher the water the better IMO. When you live in suburbia you just have to make the best of what's near at hand. I would like to get the WCO's no. though. I used to fish the DHALO a lot and often saw blatant poaching.

Posted on: 4/28 21:43

From Oxford, Chester Co., PA
http://fishandboat.com/anglerboater/2 ... l82num1_janfeb/09dwco.pdf

White Clay was nearly bankful and brown this morning when I crossed over. For the record, Tom Benevetto is still the WCO for Southern Chesco. The 2 deputies are Ed Guthrie and Mike Rieker. If you see poachers, get a pic of their license plate. The Deputies are willing to cite on that evidence provided you are willing to testify to what you saw.

Posted on: 4/30 16:57

From Landenberg PA
Sounds like we need a local W CC meet!

Ed is a great guy, showed me a few things on the creek when I was newer to the sport. I saw him at the lot by the confluence, but I was on a trail run. Good to see their presence out there.

Friday might be decent enough.

Posted on: 4/30 17:51

Edited by Paulson on 2014/4/30 18:06:47

From Landenberg PA
...also, I believe the last spring stocking is May 2nd. Probably from the preserve down to the border. I believe around 400 fish...bows and browns...I forget the split. I think DHALO is done stocking till the Fall.

Posted on: 4/30 17:54

From Media, PA
White Clay is around 5500 cfps now it was around 100, 24 hrs. ago. Pretty much completely out of it's banks I would guess; 7ft. vertical rise in that time period; picture that! The gauge is just down the trail from where the East branch meets the middle. Some of those nice bridges along that trail will probably be history. On the plus side the fact that the water will still be way up on Fri. will save a bunch of fish from the meat hunters. That said last time I visited there were still plenty of fish in every spot I tried.

Posted on: 4/30 18:38

I use to live on White clay-this report brings back memories of the solid week of rain we use to get every year about this time.That was half a century ago,sounds like some things haven't changed.lol

Posted on: 4/30 19:02

From Landenberg PA
Its getting up by the store, thats all I saw today. I will say I have seen worse. The bridges have been fine through previous years hurricanes, if not guess I will just have to cross on my runs! I think Friday will be nice, it should stop raining tomorrow AM. Might be a bit murky still.

Posted on: 4/30 19:16

From Media, PA
Better bring some lead! I'm hoping to get out Sat. or Sun. Right now it is 8.5 ft higher than it was flowing before the rain at a little under 8000 cfps.

Posted on: 4/30 21:54

From Oxford, Chester Co., PA
The East Branch is scheduled to be stocked by PAFBC on Friday. The Middle branch is done for the year. PAFBC no longer stocks the middle branch DHALO in fall - too bad. The White Clay FlyFishers will stock the DHALO in December as usual.

Posted on: 4/30 23:10

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com