Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

East Branch of the Delaware, Sullivan County, NY, 4/23/13

Had a day off an though the weather wasn't ideal (low 50s, overcast, windy at times), the flows were perfect. Stopped by The Beaverkill Angler on the way in Roscoe, and I gotta say the changes made to the shop are incredible. One of the best arrays of fly tying stuff I've seen in a while. Lots of new non-orvis stuff, too (Patagonia, sage, etc). Bullshitted there for a while, saw some cicada flies Matt there is working on, and then got on the water at around eleven. Fished an island beneath Jaws, crossed the river, fished a pool upstream, an finished the day back at some pocket water below the island.

First I nymphed around the island hard without a strike, tried some streamers and got nada. At around one I took a step back and looked around, saw that pool upstream and nymphed a bubble line, nada. Regrouped and went back to the streamer. First cast, BAM! Hooked into my biggest brown to date (22 inches give or take). She danced a bit but didn't take me to my reel. I stripped in a much as I needed and just held her in the current until she tired.

I explored a little from there without finding much activity. I went back downstream to my starting point just as quill gordons, Hendricksons, and some blue quills started coming off (about three o'clock). The rises were in pocket water and very splashy and aggressive, which made me think they were taking emergers. I should have put on some wet flies (earlier and then) or dropped a caddis pupa off my dun but I really wanted to take one off the surface, testing my presentation. I wound up stinging one on a Hendrickson wet fished with floatable when I thought at one point that they were taking cripples, and then I eventually took one at the end of the feeding window on a quill Gordon dun presented upstream, which I'm pretty pumped on considering all the people who suggest that you have to present down and across with a reach cast on the Delaware.

After I brought that one to hand ( another brown, maybe 16"s), I called it for the day. Didn't get a temp, but I trust the water was in the mid 40s.

I have pictures, but they're too big to upload. Bummer.

Posted on: 2013/4/25 16:03

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com