Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Donegal Creek, Lancaster Co, 12/1/12

From Lancaster, PA
Went out to Donegal Creek for the first time today after reading a couple posts about it here on the website. Hit the water around 12:15p & fished until 3:30p. It was a beautiful day to be on the water & did not see anybody else.

Ended up landing 17 trout - 16 rainbows & 1 brown. No huge fish, but many quality fish. Was fishing tandem rigs with streamers at the top & small nymph at the bottom. Was using dead squirrel pattern size 10 (basically a modified bugger, fly made by a great guide I know in NC, can be seen here http://jeffwilkinsflyfishing.phanfare.com/5418440) with size 20 zebra midge. Also used tandem rig with a brown crystal bugger pattern size 10 with size 18 skinny nelson. Initially they were taking the nymph, but late in the day they were taking the streamer. All in all, I was very impressed with this stream & will most certainly be headed back.

Posted on: 2012/12/1 18:07

Re: Donegal Creek, Lancaster Co, 12/1/12

The "fingerling" rainbows stocked in large quantity in fall were about 7.25 inches long on average. Some were as long as about 8". Were most of your Rainbows of approximately that length?

Posted on: 2012/12/2 19:21

From Lancaster, PA
Most were about 8 inches or so. The brown was only about 5 inches.

Posted on: 2012/12/2 22:57

From Mount Joy, PA
I've been putting a fair amount of time in on the stream and can attest to the fact that the fingerlings have moved around quite a bit since they were stocked...

ElonDO - at that size, the brown would have been a "wild" or streambread brown. The rainbows sound as if they were the stocked fingerlings. All the ones I've been catching have clipped adipose fins which is the telltale sign. I have caught small "wild" bows in the Donegal before however.

Posted on: 2012/12/3 12:52

From Lancaster County
I was hoping to pull out a holdover or wild fish, but only caught the small 'bows yesterday. I saw fish over a half mile stretch, but definitely higher concentrations in some areas over others. Definitely a nice afternoon to be out and lose some buggers..

Posted on: 2012/12/3 21:44

From Lancaster
Stopped in for about an hour this afternoon. Caught six little 'bows (between 7" and 9") and lost two others. The water temp was 54 degrees. Got one on a size 8 olive wooly bugger and all the others on a size 14 Pheasant Tail nymph. They are scrappy little critters. Lots of fun!

Posted on: 2012/12/3 22:39

From york, pa
went out today early afternoon. caught a half dozen bows on pheasant tails, buggers and green weenies. took my 7 year old son out with me. caught his first trout all on his own with the fly rod today- first time i didn't have to help cast or hookup for him...it was cool.

Posted on: 2012/12/8 16:16

From Lancaster
Excellent! Glad your boy got into one on his own. The fall stocking program there is a great opportunity for you to get the youngsters into some of those eager 'bows. Welcome to the PaFF forum!

Posted on: 2012/12/8 17:34

From Lancaster County
Quote:

dc410 wrote:
Excellent! Glad your boy got into one on his own. The fall stocking program there is a great opportunity for you to get the youngsters into some of those eager 'bows. Welcome to the PaFF forum!

The 'bows caught are likely not part of the fall stocking program (which has now seen the last stocking for the forseeable future on this stream). The 'bows are part of the experimental "fingerling" stocking of fish, to see if they take on that stream; I think its one of five or so in the state that they are testing out with fingerling stocking. I didn't turn up a single holdover fish from any stocking when I fished the stream last week; fingerlings were about like smolts on the Erie tribs - small, annoying, and getting in the way of anything else (if any holdovers were around).

Posted on: 2012/12/9 23:37

From Lancaster
I guess referring to it as the fall stocking program was inaccurate from my part (as I was referring to the fingerling stocking that they tried this year). I did not catch any holdovers either, however I only fished a very short time period and covered very little water. I may have to spend some more time this winter covering more stream to get a better feel on things. The main point of my last post was that what may seem annoying to you could possibly leave a indullable mark in a young anglers mind and maybe kick off their flyfishing career. Donegal Creek has changed a whole lot since I started fishing it in the early 80's. However, it still offers us decent access to a special regulation section of a limestone spring creek in Lancaster County which I still feel is worth a lot. It's a very dynamic world we live in and some things that we feel we should have more control over, in the big picture, we really don't. Hope you get a chance to get into some holdovers this winter. Tight lines.

Posted on: 2012/12/10 6:28

From Mount Joy, PA
Quote:

salmonoid wrote:
...fingerlings were about like smolts on the Erie tribs - small, annoying, and getting in the way of anything else (if any holdovers were around).

That's about right. It's nice to get trout on the line, but in some areas they are so prolific that it's tough to keep them off. There are holdovers and bigger fish in the stream, but you really gotta work to find them (as I'm sure you know). Overall, I'd say total numbers are down and fishing will be pretty rough for the next few years as the fingerlings disappear and no adults are stocked.

Here's a nice 14"+ brownie I landed last week on a white bugger:

Resized Image

Posted on: 2012/12/10 12:47

From Lancaster PA
Thats a heck of a nice brownie from Donegal.

Posted on: 2012/12/12 8:31

From Lancaster County
Quote:

dc410 wrote:
I guess referring to it as the fall stocking program was inaccurate from my part (as I was referring to the fingerling stocking that they tried this year). I did not catch any holdovers either, however I only fished a very short time period and covered very little water. I may have to spend some more time this winter covering more stream to get a better feel on things. The main point of my last post was that what may seem annoying to you could possibly leave a indullable mark in a young anglers mind and maybe kick off their flyfishing career. Donegal Creek has changed a whole lot since I started fishing it in the early 80's. However, it still offers us decent access to a special regulation section of a limestone spring creek in Lancaster County which I still feel is worth a lot. It's a very dynamic world we live in and some things that we feel we should have more control over, in the big picture, we really don't. Hope you get a chance to get into some holdovers this winter. Tight lines.

Agree on all these points - I wasn't trying to demean the fingerlings or the "sport" they offer. My youngest daughter was thrilled to reel one in (and that experience is worth it regardless of the size or species of the fish). My personal preference would be to target the adult trout that are present and the presence of the fingerlings made that difficult. I am interested to see how they hold up over the year, how they move around, and if a surprise viable fishery might develop, especially if the locals realize they're just stocking "dinks", which are hardly worth poaching.

Posted on: 2012/12/12 20:14

From Parkesburg
That a Tim Robinsin white bugger? Lost mine already...sorry Tim!

Posted on: 2012/12/12 20:39

From Mount Joy, PA
No, it's not. The Donegal trout aren't keyed in on those "Robinsin shiners" yet

But a plain ol' white bugger works well on that stream!

Posted on: 2012/12/14 15:04

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com