Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Delaware River - Wayne County 5/2/14 - 5/5/14

From Pittsburgh
I spent 4 days on the Big D - friday the 2nd, through monday the 5th.
The flows were higher than what I normally like to fish the river at.

Spent friday and saturday floating the main stem from hancock to buckingham, with the water running around 4,000 CFS. And saw nice blue quill and hendrickson hatches both afternoons from 2 to 5 pm. However, very few fish were rising to them. And the ones we did find were rising sporadically at best. Did manage to catch a few each day, but had to work pretty hard for them.

I fished the west branch in the game lands sunday and monday, with pretty much the same results. It was running around 1,000 CFS both days. Blue quills and hendricksons covered the water each afternoon - but again, very few risers to them. The wind blew very hard both days there, and certainly made things a lot harder. But I did manage to catch a few nice fish each day there

Water temps were pretty much in the upper '40's on all sections that I fished. And I guessing that - coupled with the higher stream flows - was the culprit for the lack of rising fish.
However, the stream levels have dropped quite a bit now - the day after I left, of course. And with warmer weather finally coming, I would think that the surface activity should be picking up.
And make this coming weekend a good time to fish hendricksons up there

Posted on: 5/7 9:11

Edited by dryflyguy on 2014/5/7 9:28:57

Re: Delaware River - Wayne County 5/2/14 - 5/5/14

From Pittsburgh
Nice report. Sounds like they made you earn it.

Posted on: 5/7 12:51

From Pittsburgh
Sounds like typical D. Sounds like ya had a good time. If you can't get them to the surface, they ain't comin!

Posted on: 5/7 20:18

From Pittsburgh
Yeah - I alway love spending time on the delaware river, even though you can never be sure what she's going to throw at you.
I've been up there on days when every fish in the river seems to be rising. Only to fish it the next day - and under the same conditions - and see no surface activity at all. I don't think I'll ever quite figure the place out. Guess I'll just have to keep practicing there!

On a side note, the road that runs along the west branch from hancock to the gamelands, is in terrible shape. It had been getting bad the last few years. But I guess the harsh winter really did it in more. It has potholes inside of potholes. I had to do 10 mph on a lot of the sections. Hopefully, they'll find the money to repave it

Posted on: 5/8 7:20

From Stroudsburg (Poconos)
Nice report. I have a sick day waiting for lower flows, overcast skies, and minimal wind. Fingers crossed!

Posted on: 5/8 18:28

From Dauphin PA
Bill,

Winterdale Rd is the road you're describing. That road has been awful for quite a few years now. I've had a boat bounce out of the trailer and heard that one of the guides cracked his boat from all the potholes. The dirt road up to the gamelands is way nicer. LOL.

I'm guessing you missed it by a day or two. I got 3 different guys that called Thursday and said the lid finally came off. One forum member said he cast to almost 100 different risers yesterday. The apple caddis already in blizzard numbers. Also, just after you left, they cut the flow in half. That's just the way it goes up there sometimes. Still managed a few in tough conditions is better than 90% of the guys up there in the last 7-10 days. 8 days until I head up...can't wait.

Posted on: 5/8 20:52

From Long Island
Yeah Winterdale road SUCKS. Pothole after pothole till about the balls eddy entrance. They need to fix it with all the fisherman/boat traffic on that road.

Posted on: 5/8 22:22

From Pittsburgh
Andy -

Yeah - that's pretty bad when the dirt road from balls eddy up is better than the paved road.

A section of route 191 just above equinunk is in bad shape too. Although I saw some heavy machinery parked on the side of the road there on my way home monday evening. Maybe they're going to finally fix it.

Posted on: 5/8 23:21

From Chester County
Quote:

krayfish wrote:
Bill,

Winterdale Rd is the road you're describing. That road has been awful for quite a few years now. I've had a boat bounce out of the trailer and heard that one of the guides cracked his boat from all the potholes. The dirt road up to the gamelands is way nicer. LOL.

I'm guessing you missed it by a day or two. I got 3 different guys that called Thursday and said the lid finally came off. One forum member said he cast to almost 100 different risers yesterday. The apple caddis already in blizzard numbers. Also, just after you left, they cut the flow in half. That's just the way it goes up there sometimes. Still managed a few in tough conditions is better than 90% of the guys up there in the last 7-10 days. 8 days until I head up...can't wait.

Attach file:

jpg  D.jpg (12.40 KB)
53_536cc8e49cc57.jpg 300X168 px

Posted on: 5/9 8:24

From Dauphin PA
Tom,

According to reports, isn't it always? Lmao.

Posted on: 5/9 9:15

From Crafton, Pa
Thanks for the report DFG.

Im heading out there this week for a few days and cant wait. I will take a few fish for that place anytime!

Posted on: 5/10 7:45

From Pittsburgh
Quote:

snookpirate wrote:
Thanks for the report DFG.

Im heading out there this week for a few days and cant wait. I will take a few fish for that place anytime!

I think that your timing is a lot better than mine was. Have fun!

Posted on: 5/10 7:52

I fished the game lands the 5th to the 8th. It was ok for some but not the week to be there. I'm planning to drive my wife up that road and maybe she'll agree to a more suitable vehicle. On the brighter side the Italian restaurant in Hancock has stepped up their game. Way beyond just pizza. The hotel had the burger. Hoping for a better trip for Drakes. New Loomis NRX is sweet.

Posted on: 5/12 17:45

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes
No
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com