Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8)

Re: Cross Fork, Potter County, 9/5/11

From NC PA Mountains
Potter County Campground is located about 10 miles west of Coudersport at the top of Denton Hill. You are about 35 miles from the mouth of Cross Forks. The top of Lyman run is only a couple miles from the campground. You can head east on Rt 6 & hit Nine Mile Run(Class A). Keep going east a few more miles then head N on Rt 449 then your on the headwaters of Pine(class A).
Here's a link to the Susquehannock State Forest map.
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/ucmprd1/g ... nts/document/D_000880.pdf
Look for where the District Office is on Rt 6. There is a small white area in between the office & State Police & that is where the campground is.

Posted on: 2011/9/21 14:08

From Johnstown, Pa
Sasquatch,

Just wanted to mension a few other places for lodgeing over in the kettle creek valley for you. www.kettlecreeklodge.com, www.paisnet.com, www.wagonwheelcabins.com. There are also cabins in Cross Forks next to the post office and a few up on the hill behind Kinney's store. Not sure how to contact those two. Just from being up there for years alot of these place are rented out a year in advance for the following April weeks. I also have a camp down from Cross Forks and I can sleep 3 + myself.

Just my thoughts on an April jam up there. April is pretty unperdictable at that time of the year with the weather and the water flows. As far as the crowds, the bigger waters are still crowded but the tribs see hardly any pressure at all. And as for the hatches you might catch the tail end of the Hendricksons and you should hit some Quill Gordons if the weather is decent. As you probably know the weather is a little different up there. Chances are real good it will be ugly.

Just my thoughts again. Late September is a great time to be up there. Weather will be cool and a little more predictable the streams have a decent flow and the tribs will fish great. But the non approved trout waters will be off limits. But I don't think that would matter there's lots of good approved water everwhere still holding fish. As for the crowds there's no one fishing. And as far as the hatches go you have BWO's, Slate Drakes, and Tan Caddis's.Beetles, Ants and Hoppers are still working yet.

But anyway I'll go along with what ever month. I'd just like to attened this jam. I'll be able to show some of the other guys around on some of the streams. If there's anyway I can help you out with jam let me know.

Posted on: 2011/9/21 14:14

From Ephrata, PA
I thought about Kettle Creek Lodge, as my family has stayed there annually, but its not the cheapest place to stay.

We realize April can be hit or miss, but the one thing that started this rolling is that Jack wanted to TRY and catch a QG hatch.

Posted on: 2011/9/21 14:21

From Ephrata, PA
Quote:

BradFromPotter wrote:
Potter County Campground is located about 10 miles west of Coudersport at the top of Denton Hill. You are about 35 miles from the mouth of Cross Forks. The top of Lyman run is only a couple miles from the campground. You can head east on Rt 6 & hit Nine Mile Run(Class A). Keep going east a few more miles then head N on Rt 449 then your on the headwaters of Pine(class A).
Here's a link to the Susquehannock State Forest map.
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/ucmprd1/g ... nts/document/D_000880.pdf
Look for where the District Office is on Rt 6. There is a small white area in between the office & State Police & that is where the campground is.

My thoughts exactly Brad. I LOVE Lyman Run and Nine Mile. I also know exactly where the headwaters to the Pine are. There are several streams right off Rt 6.

Posted on: 2011/9/21 14:27

From Ephrata, PA
Here's the rates for PC campground. Looks reasonable to me. Thoughts?

http://www.pottercountycamping.com/camping_information_rates.html

Posted on: 2011/9/21 14:29

From Clearfield
If that is where you guys want to go, I am all for it. I told her that I would let her know when we decided which one we are going for. I don't know the Coudersport area that well, and if you guys say it's not that far of a drive I'm in.

Posted on: 2011/9/21 14:46

From Ephrata, PA
Yeah they're actually east of Coudersport. That whole stretch of Rt 6 from Galeton up through to Denton Hill (there at the Potato City Inn) has multible streams intersecting it. Good waters too.

Posted on: 2011/9/21 14:56

From Johnstown, Pa
Sasquatch,

Some of the other places there in Cross Froks I mensioned might be worth checking .The kettle creek area seems to be a good central location. You can be in the Pine Cr valley in 30 mins and you can be over in the First Fork valley in about 30 mins and if your heading up towards RT 6 to hit some of the streams in that area it'll be close to an hour. Over the years of fishing the area I have incountered the QG quite a few times and it can fish real good. And it always seems to be on a cold and rainy days and that does'nt bother me. So count me in. Again if you need help let me know.

Posted on: 2011/9/21 14:57

From Ephrata, PA
Awesome. We're open, and we have time (we don't have to plan this thing TODAY!) so we'll research the other areas Wet.

Posted on: 2011/9/21 15:00

From Clearfield
Sounds good.

Posted on: 2011/9/21 15:04

From Ephrata, PA

Posted on: 2011/9/22 9:52

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com