Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 8 »

Cross Fork, Potter County, 9/5/11

I was up this weekend and fished Cross Fork a mile or so up from the mouth for a couple of hours with my son. The area received some much needed rain. It poured on us all day but when your catching you feel no pain. Any hole or pocket that had some depth and current held fish. Most fish were wild in the 6"-10" 50/50 brown/brooks with a few rubber rainbows mixed in.
On the best hole of the day we each took 6 fish on size 16 beadhead caddis pupa. We both blew it and each missed our fish of the day.
Its a shame that their is not more productive deeper holding water on this stream. Their seems to be alot of wider flat shallow areas. I did see a couple of stone dams that were constructed by some camps. They held back quite a bit of water. Downstream of the dams we fished for another 100yards and could find very little holding water. The dams reduced the flow by at least half.

Posted on: 2011/9/6 17:44

Edited by Fishidiot on 2011/9/7 9:23:40

Re: Cross Fork,Potter County,Monday 9/5

From Clearfield
That is good to hear I know that that area has been hurting for water. Did you happen to get a water temp?

Posted on: 2011/9/6 20:50

Re: Cross Fork,Potter County,Monday 9/5
From Monessen, PA
I enjoy reading reports from the northern tier. Seems folks that fish that area keep their cards flat on the table because a vest doesn't have any sleeves, I suppose.

I suspect the water temps were fine. That rain on Monday was cool even in the southern Counties. I think most of our close to the edge wild waters, such as the Forks in the Sinnemahoning watershed, and even Penns did very well this Summer. I don't remember a period of more than a week or two once or twice all Summer when I became concerned about drought or thermal dangers. I further suspect some of the better stocked waters are still holding this years stocked fish.

A long Fall would be glorious.

Posted on: 2011/9/7 8:09

Re: Cross Fork, Potter County, 9/5/11

From wellsboro
Jack, Not sure how close of attention you paid to water levels and temps up north, but it has been a hot and dry summer in Potter and Tioga counties. i doubt fish did well at all and i think someone even posted pictures of the fish kill on Pine that resulted from the conditions. i know these were stocked fish below Galeton, but they still are reflective of the conditions we saw up here. I spent a great deal of time at work in the east fork of sinnemahoning and it struggled with water most of the summer.

That being said glad to hear you did well on Cross Fork, i don"t get to fish it much since i moved to Wellsboro.

Posted on: 2011/9/7 10:28

Yes, it was a rough summer, drought and high temperatures, in that region. Stream flows got very low.

That sure appears to be over now, though. The rain is bringing up the creeks and the weather is cool.

Posted on: 2011/9/7 13:02

From E-Town and Germania
reds is correct, no water and high temps most of the summer. At our cabin near Germania it was 102 degrees on 7/22. The Kettle Creek stream gauge at Cross Fork showed the temperature at almost 90 that day. Most of the time it was in the 70's and 80's, only dropping into the 60's at night. I doubt Cross Fork itself was much better. I am surprised that the rainbows that the OP caught survived.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2011/9/7 13:03

Didnt have a thermometer but I would guess in the low 60's. It was cool Monday and Rainy all day. We have a camp near by but have not fished anything up that way since 7/4. Its been a brutal summer. A far cry from spring when their was plenty of water. We were pretty far up from the mouth. Looking at the water gauges the tributary streams should be shaping up well by this weekend. This fish looked healthy and fought well.

Posted on: 2011/9/7 18:07

From E-Town and Germania
That's great to hear, I guess we don't give the fish enough credit for their ability to survive adverse conditions. They have been around for thousands of years, surviving droughts and floods, and will continue to do so if we are wise enough to allow them.

Posted on: 2011/9/7 21:27

From Bozeman
Quote:

salvelinus wrote:
That's great to hear, I guess we don't give the fish enough credit for their ability to survive adverse conditions. They have been around for thousands of years, surviving droughts and floods, and will continue to do so if we are wise enough to allow them.

Indeed, but that's got to be taken with a grain of salt.

Our forests were untouched old growth for thousands of years. Development and deforestation (both of which greatly contribute to temperature spikes and dewatering) are relatively recent.

Posted on: 2011/9/7 21:58

From Clearfield
It is good to hear, I knew that it was tougher up there this summer than most places.

Posted on: 2011/9/7 22:13

From Monessen, PA
Well I am relieved to know both that I was wrong about how the Summer went and that it has been a relief in the recent days. Most of the state fared pretty well where sufficient rain carried those few hot spells. I had not heard that the northcentral region was dry most of Summer.

Posted on: 2011/9/8 17:20

From Clearfield
It's cool, no worries, I was just wondering if he got a temp. I was thinking of heading up that way.

Posted on: 2011/9/8 21:14

Quote:

csoult wrote:
It's cool, no worries, I was just wondering if he got a temp. I was thinking of heading up that way.

Right now the flows on Kettle and Young Womans Cr are at a nice level. The temps will be fine. It's cool now. Bring a jacket or sweatshirt.

The fishing should be good there this weekend, unless there's a big dump of rain. Just keep checking the USGS gauges.

Posted on: 2011/9/8 21:53

From Clearfield
Thanks, leaving in the morning!

Posted on: 2011/9/8 22:54

From Monessen, PA
Take pictures of the streams. That's the most scenic area in the state that I have visited. I would love to disappear into those hills for a few days or more one Quill Gordon season and soon.

In fact, I think a Quill Gordon Summit would be a great way to pull off the "alternative" NC Jam that has been discussed in the last couple years. I would attend an April Summit, but haven't any good information about the hatch, streams or hostels to provide guidance in that regard.

As I said, those with knowledge tend to keep their lips close to their vest.

Posted on: 2011/9/9 7:42

(1) 2 3 4 ... 8 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com