Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 »

Re: Cross Fork, Potter County, 9/5/11
From Monessen, PA
I will be able to advise, but cannot plan this event. Find a place to hold gatherings in the AM and PM hours and where anyone who wants to camp or sleep can be accomodated. Locate on a major road that will give access as noted to the roadways and watersheds we are interested in fishing. Pick the date and CG/location and let the chips fall where they may.

Posted on: 2011/9/17 14:51

Quote:

JackM wrote:
Also, if you explore this area by map, do not be deceived that streams "have roads running beside them." Look at the topography-- the roads are several hundred feet above the stream in many stretches. Finding a place to park is the easy part and it isn't easy since the roads are narrow along the ridges. Most difficult is getting to the stream over steep and long embankments. If you get in using a trib hollow or lesser slope, you can walk up or downstream often for miles before other decent access is found.

There's a whole mix. Some stream stretches are easily accessible from the road. And some do require a long and/or steep hike. And there's a wide range in between.

You can take your pick how much serious hiking you want to do.

My main point is that people shouldn't feel intimidated if they are not hard-core hikers. There are places that are pretty easy to access. I fished up there with people who are in their 70s, and they did fine.

Posted on: 2011/9/17 19:10

From Monessen, PA
I agree, troutbert, I am responding to claims of potential crowding, which I think you may only experience on these easier to access areas.

Posted on: 2011/9/18 1:34

From NC PA Mountains
I live here in Galeton, You will not find crowded stocked streams on April 20th. Even opening weekend the majority of streams are not crowed anymore but a few.

You might have snow!

Jack, If it warms up during the day & you're on a brook trout stream I can almost promise you can catch a brookie on a QG dry even if they are not hatching!

Posted on: 2011/9/18 7:50

Quote:

JackM wrote:
I agree, troutbert, I am responding to claims of potential crowding, which I think you may only experience on these easier to access areas.

I wouldn't worry about crowding, after opening weekend. And of course it's the stocked streams that draw the big crowds.

The unstocked streams are rarely crowded, with the exception of Slate Run, which is a busy stream at times. And Cedar Run sometimes, too, but less than Slate.

Posted on: 2011/9/18 8:39

From Chester County
Crowding?!? The locals are the one's worrying about crowding with 30 or 40 out of town "Gringos" invading "God's Country" up there!

Posted on: 2011/9/18 9:10

From Monessen, PA
Quote:

BradFromPotter wrote:

Jack, If it warms up during the day & you're on a brook trout stream I can almost promise you can catch a brookie on a QG dry even if they are not hatching!

Well, I could probably catch one on a QG dry any time of the year, but would like to pursue the fantasy of hatch-matching the QG when it IS on the water.

Posted on: 2011/9/18 9:52

From NC PA Mountains
Quote:

afishinado wrote:
Crowding?!? The locals are the one's worrying about crowding with 30 or 40 out of town "Gringos" invading "God's Country" up there!

I'm just a flatlander from Chester County who moved here about 17 years ago!

Posted on: 2011/9/18 15:24

From Ephrata, PA
Okay so lets get this going for real.

Date:
My vote is for 4/20-4/22. I realize this timing isn't TOP, but...we definitely do not want to interfere in ANY way w/ the big JAM, so we don't want to go later. Easter is the 8th so that's out (at least for me and I'm sure for others), opening weekend last year was the 16th, so I'm assuming it'll be the 15th this year, and Brad thinks that by the 20th all the weekend worm/spinner chuckers should mostly be cleared out.

Does anyone have any objections to camping at Cherry Spring? The down side is you can't reserve ahead of time, but we can always keep my camp open as an alternative JUST IN CASE.

We just need to step up and set a date and place and DO IT! Nothing will be 100% ideal, and I'm sure there may be plenty of objections, but lets just see what we can agree on.

Posted on: 2011/9/20 8:33

From Monessen, PA
If you are taking the lead, call four or five CGs in the vicinity, See what they have in terms of cabin rentals, tent sites (nice and level or is the CG on a hill, bathrooms, snacks or food nearby, acess to roads that will take us anywhere. If you have already narrowed it down to Cherry Springs, but they don't take reservations, the situation must be real slim pickins'.

Simply put, I'd rather drive an extra 35 miles each day to fish than be uncomfortable for the weekend.

Posted on: 2011/9/20 9:57

From Ephrata, PA
Cool. I'm not TRYING to take the lead...just get things moving towards coming to an actual event. Did I just contradict myself!?

I'm open to ANY campgrounds; it seemed that Cherry Spring was most cental. Pat, Brad, any other ideas guys?

Posted on: 2011/9/20 10:05

From Chester County
Lead and they will follow...build it and they will come...

View Larger Map

Posted on: 2011/9/20 10:07

From Monessen, PA
Quiet Oaks was on the shortlist last year for THE jam.

Posted on: 2011/9/20 10:48

From Clearfield
Quote:

JackM wrote:
Quiet Oaks was on the shortlist last year for THE jam.

I see what you did there.

Posted on: 2011/9/20 11:23

From Clearfield
Quote:

The_Sasquatch wrote:
Cool. I'm not TRYING to take the lead...just get things moving towards coming to an actual event. Did I just contradict myself!?

I'm open to ANY campgrounds; it seemed that Cherry Spring was most cental. Pat, Brad, any other ideas guys?

Squatch I will help with this one anyway that I can. Let me know!

Posted on: 2011/9/20 11:26

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com