Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 8 »

Re: Cross Fork, Potter County, 9/5/11

From NC PA Mountains
Cherry Springs does allow campers. Just no electric. No hot showers at Cherry Springs. Lyman Run State Park does have hot showers down the road a few miles.

Posted on: 2011/9/14 14:30

Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
Whats better, is that not only does every single one of those have wild fish, most of them also have numerous tributaries that have wild fish. There is probably 50ish wild trout streams within a half hours drive. You've got everything you could want, big water, medium water, small water, stockies, wild brookies, wild browns, etc. Gotta love the northern tier of PA!!!!

BTW, I'd love to go to this, heck, I'd love to see THE JAM hosted in that immediate area. But it's way too far out for me to commit....

I love that area too. Endless miles of cricks to fish. But "Quill Gordon time" is not the best time to fish there, at least from a fish-catching perspective, and particularly from a dry fly perspective.

It's better after things warm up a bit. Last 2 weeks of May, first week of June, in most years. Of course those are the glory days for flyfishing other parts of PA, too.

Posted on: 2011/9/14 14:48

I've done very well mid-May fishing caddis and yellow sallies. Of course, that depends on the water levels & temps. As long as things are "warm enough" the tribs should be good anytime in May.

Posted on: 2011/9/14 16:07

From Bozeman
The idea was originally that this shouldn't interfere with the traditional jamboree in central PA (on limestone), which usually happens in mid-late may.

The whole point is to have it in April due to that. If you're looking to maximize participation, I'd keep that in mind. I know that I would not attend if it conflicted with the official jam, and many others would do the same.

Regarding NCPA v CPA for the official jam, limestone country wins in voting time and again. Given that those that organize the event seem to prefer it, as well as our newly minted relationship with seven mountains CG, I don't see it moving. I'd campaign incredibly hard against it, but that's just me.

Posted on: 2011/9/14 16:10

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
For the official JAM (in caps for you Jay), I wouldn't, and didn't, campaign against NC PA. That said, the arguments for central PA are plenty valid as well, and I think 7 mountains campground works real well for us.

So, I'll stay away from taking sides in those debates, and I'll be there wherever it may be.

But yeah, I'm not sure April is the best time for this NC area. May-June would be the best, but if it's not the main jam, that's too close in timing to the main jam. I'd go with, like, October, over April. This could be a big event, second in size to only the JAM.

Posted on: 2011/9/14 16:35

From Monessen, PA
Just for my point, we've heard of people talk of a NC JAM for years, but no one takes initiative. The QG is an enigmatic bug, and somewhat rare for most of us, but the greatest chance of catching it is in NC (IMO) around mid to late April. You want a JAM for other purposes, you are probably correct, a different time of year would be better. If you want a Quill Gordon SUMMIT, then you gotta do it when they hatch, even if that means possible nighttime lows in the 40s. But that is just my singular view of things.

And, yes, some people will want to discourage this just as others discourage a group invading Penns at GD time.

Posted on: 2011/9/14 17:35

-- Leo Tolstoy

From Ephrata, PA
I'm w/ Jack, and I'm down for helping to make this happen.

Posted on: 2011/9/14 17:37

Jay is right that you wouldn't want to make it close to the Penns Jam, to avoid competition.

How much time seperation you'd want to avoid competition with the Penns Jam, I don't know.

But when choosing the time, keep the water temps in mind. Late April is better than mid-April, and the first week of May is better still from a water temps & fishing perspective.

A lot depends on the weather of course. But just on average it's warmer in the first week of May then in mid-April. Even 2 or 3 weeks can make a big difference.

Posted on: 2011/9/14 17:38

From Bozeman
Quote:

JackM wrote:
And, yes, some people will want to discourage this just as others discourage a group invading Penns at GD time.

WHAT'S FUNNY IS THAT THE ONLY TIME I'VE EVER HAD SOLITUDE DURING THE GD HATCH WAS DURING THE jam. I HAVE HIGH AND MUDDY, BUT FISHABLE CONDITIONS TO THANK FOR THAT.

Posted on: 2011/9/14 17:39

From Ephrata, PA
i THINK YOUR CAPS LOCK WAS ON AND WHEN YOU PUSHED "SHIFT" FOR "jam" IT MADE IT LOWER CASE LETTERS!

Posted on: 2011/9/14 17:44

From Monessen, PA
Without outting all water with QGs, a later JAM would be better, but will we find the bugs or will something else be inderway by then? If so, what? Because, I know I want to fish a QG hatch one day, but not sure how enthusiastic I feel about Olives or Henricksons. Something there is about large bugs to a dryfly enthusiast.

Posted on: 2011/9/14 17:49

-- Leo Tolstoy

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
bugs, I'm not sure. But if you're a dry fly enthusiast, to feel more confident about catching fish on top, the warmer the water, the better.

Posted on: 2011/9/14 19:52

Quote:

JackM wrote:
Without outting all water with QGs, a later JAM would be better, but will we find the bugs or will something else be inderway by then? If so, what? Because, I know I want to fish a QG hatch one day, but not sure how enthusiastic I feel about Olives or Henricksons. Something there is about large bugs to a dryfly enthusiast.

Slate Run Tackle has a good hatch chart on their website. It's for Pine Creek, and Slate and Cedar, but it's pretty helpful for the whole region.

Quill Gordons and Hendricksons are of roughly similar size, BTW. Neither is close to Green Drake size, but they aren't tiny either, they're plenty big enough for the trout to notice.

You are more likely to hit a good Hendrickson hatch than a good Quill Gordon hatch, in my experience. I think there are just a lot more of them and more widely distributed.

The early season hatches transition into the mid-season hatches. I wouldn't worry about a bugless gap in between.

Posted on: 2011/9/14 21:37

From Bozeman
Yeah, I thought I was missing something there. Hendricksons are big bugs by my standards, and I know exactly where and when to find them. QGs, not so much.

Posted on: 2011/9/14 21:52

From Monessen, PA
Quote:

jayL wrote:
Yeah, I thought I was missing something there. Hendricksons are big bugs by my standards, and I know exactly where and when to find them. QGs, not so much.

I guess I didn't think of just the size comparison when I chose Hendricksons when I used them in contrast. The contrast that I wanted to make was between the "when and where to find them" which with Hendricksons is "alot of places" whereas, as prior threads on this board have demonstrated, with QGs it is "not alot of places," hence my greater intrigue.

Posted on: 2011/9/15 6:40

-- Leo Tolstoy

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 8 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com