Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Cool Spring Creek, Mercer County 3/23/13

From Lancaster, PA
Hit up Cool Spring following Fridays stocking from about 11:30 to 6:00...started down from the 2nd access on Houston Road after seeing the massive amount of cars parked at the first access...started out with egg patterns with no luck...after about an hour I decided to venture down to big rock hole to see what the mayhem was like and was surprised to only see 2 guys in the area despite my original assumption from seeing all the cars...started downstream right above the ripples continuing to use egg patterns to no avail...around 3:00 or so I switched to nymphs and moved right below big rock hole and the action started...netted 3...2 rainbows and 1 brown...all taking my prince nymph...as I was casting below big rock I noticed fish jumping right above it and moved to them...this is where I made a clinic...netting 11 more...4 rainbows and 7 browns...as one of the other guys using fly called it...I found the "honey pot"...all were caught on variations of nymphs except for one brown being caught with a black midge...around 4:00 there was a perfect array of sunshine lighting up the stream as well as warming things up...turning a not so perfect cold morning into an awesome warm afternoon of great fishing!

Posted on: 2013/3/23 20:47

Re: Cool Spring Creek, Mercer County 3/23/13

From Ohio
Nice! I fished it also today and Neshannock. Hooked into two on Neshannock, then went to cool spring after lunch. You did much better than me. I must of fished every hole in the entire special regs section(a little over a mile) except for the big rock hole (which had people everytime I walked by it) and I only caught 5. I guess thats where all the fish were! Or maybe I was just having a bad day. So you were fishing it around three? I might have seen you(along with the other people) as I was walking out.

Posted on: 2013/3/23 21:19

From Lancaster, PA
I think I did see you Nick...I was walking downstream while I believe you and your brother were walking on the path upstream...I was going to say something but I wasn't sure if it was you or not

Posted on: 2013/3/23 21:59

From Butler, Pa
which hole is referred to as the big rock hole?
i have been there a handful of times and havent been impressed there were only 4 holes that we found that held fish

Posted on: 2013/3/25 15:45

From Ohio
StarvinMarvin, it is at the lower DHALO by the parking area where the gate is. Once you get to the stream after walking the path there is a big rock in the middle of the creek.

They do float stock the stream(without canoes of course) which spreads the fish out a tad bit but yeah holding water wise it isn't the best of streams, but again it's a small stocked trout fishery, not really asking for much. There's some decent holes as you go upstream, and around the old rr bridge up a ways. A good stream to visit if you don't live too far and you want to catch a few fish, but I wouldn't make a whole day of it.

Posted on: 2013/3/25 20:27

From Butler, Pa
ya there were like 2 holes right off the bat and then its like 100 yards of chub water than just tu stream improvement and then 2 holes, but i know where that hole is

Posted on: 2013/3/28 3:19

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com