Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: Clarks Creek, Special Regs, Dauphin County, March 11, 2013

From Dauphin
Biggie, your telling the truth there. There has been days where I just had to leave because I only had a t-shirt. The mosquitos there last year were horrible.

Posted on: 2013/3/18 22:10

From Dallastown, PA
Yeah those moskitos eat DEET for for lunch.

Posted on: 2013/3/19 7:29

From Harrisburg
Cons:
Lacks decent amount of larger fish.
Mosquitos are in fact overbearing at times.
Clogged with log jams now that ofcourse, the fish migrate to.
Hatches are minimal.
Snags are optimal.

Pros:
Like stepping into a mountain stream, 20 mins from Harrisburg.
Nice amount of wild brownies.
A terrestrial fishermans top tier stream.
Native brookies in its very tiny tribs.
Best fishing is out of regs area.

Thats what I can come up with off the top of my head. No, its not for everyone, but I love the place. From the moss on the rocks, to the fog in the air, and especially the natural air conditioning in the summer.
I call it my home water and I'm glad for it.

Kray, I always thought it sucked that its just not your cup of tea being how its walking distance from your front door.

Crep, cant believe I never saw that link. Thank you.

Posted on: 2013/3/19 11:14

From Gettysburg
Quote:

Squaretail wrote:
No, its not for everyone, but I love the place. From the moss on the rocks, to the fog in the air, and especially the natural air conditioning in the summer.
I call it my home water and I'm glad for it.

Crep, cant believe I never saw that link. Thank you.

I agree Squaretail.
A lot of streams have some pretty big cons.....but their pros much outweigh them depending on one's taste or point of view. Clarks is a gem.

Yes, good information filled link.
Most streams, particularly bigger ones, or ones with considerable local value (which describes many of the streams we discuss on this forum)......have a "conservation plan" or watershed management plan and most of these are posted online. I've spent a lot of time reading them the last couple years. Oftentimes, there is very good (if you can tolerate scientific jargon) info about local land use, pollution, macros, etc. Some of these plans also have good data on fish populations that are a result of DEP or PFBC surveys. Conservation plans are a wealth of info.

Posted on: 2013/3/19 12:41

From Mount Joy, PA
Quote:

Fishidiot wrote:
Clarks is a gem.

Couldn't agree more. For being so close to a populated area, it is a slice of heaven within a very short driving distance. Most importantly, it seems to be protected from the overdevelopment that inflicts many of our cherished waters (Trindle, Letort, etc.).

Posted on: 2013/3/19 13:54

From Ephrata, PA
I keep wanting to fish this stream. It's really not far from Ephrata. The snakes and bears make it all the more appealing to me. I keep hearing the best fishing is outside of the special regs water, so I want to research that first before heading up.

Posted on: 2013/3/19 14:34

From Lancaster County
Quote:

crepuscular wrote:
For those of you that fish Clarks Creek here is some interesting Reading. Pay special attention to the fish survey and to what sections held the most fish. The fish survey was done late in the summer.

http://www.dauphincd.org/water/Clarks ... 20Conservation%20Plan.pdf

Given the relatively short survey sections electrofished, and the proximity of some of the survey sites to stocking points, I'm not sure there is a huge statistical variation in the number of salmonid species found in any particular section. However, the secret is out - the first verified publication of native salmo truttas in the North America:

p 24
Native brown trout, pictured above, that were found during the fish survey of Clarks Creek

Posted on: 2013/3/19 17:17

From Ephrata, PA
I noticed that too Sal...but I decided to just let it fly!

Posted on: 2013/3/19 17:19

From Dauphin
Yes there is great water outside of the regs. I grew up on the lower end and love my home stretch.

Posted on: 2013/3/19 20:39

From Boiling Springs, PA
Quote:
Given the relatively short survey sections electrofished, and the proximity of some of the survey sites to stocking points, I'm not sure there is a huge statistical variation in the number of salmonid species found in any particular section. However, the secret is out - the first verified publication of native salmo truttas in the North America:

p 24
Native brown trout, pictured above, that were found during the fish survey of Clarks Creek

You are obviously correct about the statistical differences between electrofishing sites. The fish portion of that plan was its weakest section in my opinion. That said, my point was simple, there are fish spread out in that creek and especially later on in the season. So maybe the stocking points are not as important seeing as the sampling was done in August I believe. People were talking about the amount of fish in the special regs section. So I simply pointedout that there are still fish in the open waters later on in the year. And the fact that there are reproducing brown trout is a good thing, no? It's not a secret but the fact that is is documented in the plan is also a good thing. Also the simple fact that the implementation plan was was completed, makes Clarks Creek eligible for funding for future stream improvement work.

Posted on: 2013/3/19 21:39

From Dauphin PA
Sas,

Don't worry about bears. I've only seen 2 in 20+ years. Never had an issue with the snakes either. Everyone mentioned the skeeters as a problem but I think there's two others that top the list for pests. Everyone seemed to miss the deer flies that have run me out of a section before. The other is the insane number of ticks in that valley. I walked my dog down to the bridge below the barn one fall, looked at the creek for 10 minutes and walked back to the parking area where I then removed 13 ticks from my dogs neck and legs. Always leave the waders outside and check myself before taking my after fishing nap.

It is a pretty and remote area for being so close the Hbg. I think we can all agree on that. Is it a world class fishery? No. It can be a fun place visit but I can't see it being worth more than a 20 minute drive unless you are looking to lose yourself in the woods and take some photos.

Posted on: 2013/3/19 22:41

From Ephrata, PA
Worried!? I ain't worried! I welcome the chance to see dem' bars so close to home! I learned to FF on the bear-infested Little Kettle. The more woodsy, the better.

Posted on: 2013/3/20 8:27

From Mount Joy, PA
I'd be more worried about snakes and bears on the stream in the next valley over... But if I were a Sasquatch, I wouldn't be worried about any of that stuff!

Posted on: 2013/3/20 9:26

From Ephrata, PA
Dang straight. Snakes and bears worry about ME!

Posted on: 2013/3/20 9:32

From Harrisburg
Quote:
I noticed that too Sal...but I decided to just let it fly!

Cant be Sal, sorry thats spoken for. Noid works though.

Posted on: 2013/3/20 10:01

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com