Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Cedar Run/Hogestown Run/Trindle Spring Cumberland County 4/26/09

From Carlisle,PA
I fished Hogestown Run yesterday from 1-3pm and was really disappointed. I parked next to the Silver Spring Red Robin and fished the entire stretch to the Rt. 11 bridge. In the past, this has been real rpoductive water for me with wild browns up to 20" in length. I never posted my outings on this forum and it was one of the few places I could go and not encounter anyone. Judging by the boot prints and worm containers along the bank, it looks like the secret is out after all. I managed one brown of 9", and spooked two others. I left to go head over to a public section of Cedar Run, only to find myself even more disheartened.

After fishing a three block stretch of Cedar Run, not only did I not catch a fish-I did not even see a trout. In the past, I have had tremendous days on this particular stretch. On my way out, I had a conversation with a gentleman who owns a house along the stream. He apprised me that there were at least six fishermen in the stretch I was on Opening Day. He went on to say that all of them left with fish on a stringer. He was out mowing his lawn that day, and even talked with a few of them. What a shame! I realize that by purchasing a license, that all fishermen have access to the same fish as everyone else and that they have a right to harvest fish if they so desire. The thing that gets me is that these places are so fragile, and it only takes a few to decimate the population for years to come. Consider the population at both streams officially decimated. I even went to one other stretch along Cedar and it was the same story. I left for Trindle Spring to get one more hour or so in before dark.

At Trindle Spring, I managed five rainbows-two that were "approaching" 9", as well as three dinks. All were caught on top on a #14 Harrop's Adams Dun. I'm thinking this place gets skimmed too, because I used to see bigger fish here and more of them. In fact, when I used to work in Camp Hill, I frequently stopped off here on my way home and did quite well. Maybe five fish is good for this stream these days, I don't know...What I do know is that I am off on Tuesday and Wednesday and I plan on heading north to see what that will bring.

Posted on: 2009/4/26 14:21

Re: Cedar Run/Hogestown Run/Trindle Spring Cumberland County 4/26/09

Sorry to hear this. I fish two of these streams and haven't found much this year myself. I'm with you on understanding that everyone has a right to fish and keep what they catch--but hating to see these fish killed when it takes so long to build up a good population. I wish there were some way to protect them. I have heard that some bait fishermen browse these forums to locate places to fish. That too troubles me. I try not to give specific names, much less locations on any forum for this reason. I'll just say, "a local spring creek," or "a freestone in the area." It sucks that I feel so paranoid, I guess.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 20:39

From Bozeman
Quote:

martinlf wrote:
I have heard that some bait fishermen browse these forums to locate places to fish.

Yeah, but they also read books, talk to people, and read other websites for locations too. I'd be willing to bet that fly fishing forums had little to do with the bait fishermen keeping wild fish in any real numbers.

Posted on: 2009/4/28 9:35

From York County
I was at Trindle and Hogestown and it brings me back to the posts about overfishing wild brookie streams. It only takes a few people to compleatly decimate a stream for a substantial amount of time. I remember this from my favorite local brookie stream where a section was overfished constantly and fish plucked from their homes consistantly by one person until it were noticeably devoid of fish in many places. I struck out at Hogestown but did see the flash of a trout behind my fly. Trindle I worry about as well. It small and short in length.

I refuse to believe that such beautiful works of nature can sustain themselves with so great a volume of "ignorance on a hook" that seems to plague our wild Pennsylvania streams.

Jake Bush

Posted on: 2009/4/28 21:45

From Mechanicsburg, Pa
Dances:
I think the problem with trindle stems more from the development i the watershed more than anything else. I sent you a PM

AL

Posted on: 2009/4/28 21:47

From York County
I think the problem is that some people don't know wild trout water from my yellow piss on their car door handle.

Posted on: 2009/4/28 22:09

From Harrisburg, PA
LoL at Jake!!! That's hilarious!

Posted on: 2009/4/29 10:15

There are many ways bait fishermen find their way to wild fish streams, but reducing those ways or educating the bait fishermen who are open minded is a worthwhile endeavor. One day I managed to get a bait fisherman who planned to keep a 15 inch brown to release the fish back to "a local spring creek" after explaining that the fish was wild and irreplaceable by a stocking truck. He let me revive the fish, which seemed OK and swam off easily. He was a nice guy, and we had a good conversation about fishing before we both moved on.

Posted on: 2009/4/29 20:18

From Mechanicsburg,PA
Don't worry bout trindle. Alot of those trout will be in the guinet till we get a flood or a couple hot weeks. By the time they make it back in the bait fisherman will have lost interest. Late summer terrestrials in the coldest water around!

Posted on: 2009/5/3 9:57

From Chester County
A fishing pard' of mine who is a sociologist noticed more people keeping fish this season. He chalks it up to the recession.

I could see that. Could be the same influence on the streams you mentioned.

Posted on: 2009/5/4 6:26

From Gunpowder River, MD
Pigs all...

Just returned from Penns last week. I must of seen a dozen poacher's fire rings and trash along the catch and relases water. They hammerd Penns this year, I mean hammered it. I saw a couple of guys set up dummy tents at Poe and then proceed to set up primative fish camps and fish all night long on the CR...Salted minnows and treble hooks. Even those big and wise browns that lie at the bottom of Penns couldn't resist a salted minnow...If I were a land owner and saw a bunch of sub-fisherman harvesting that many trout, in a single hour, I put a bunch of salt in their @%*. Shoot and ask ? later...These donkys need to fear these waters like the ole days...I believe just as our culture is on the slide more and more hobo's and bait fisherman will be on the rise...Poaching C&R should be a stoning offence, plus $5,000 fine..Crush those bums...

Posted on: 2009/5/7 9:23

From Harrisburg
I'm not gonna say what feeders in particular, but some that have been posted here were mentioned.
A customer came into my work yesterday and proceeded to show me pictures of trout he caught over there. He told me the one was wild and 24" and it sure looked like it was both. He said he was targeting where the feeders that hit the Connie when the water was high with (and he was buying some) Burkley Gulp lures. They were the big 5" shad type. About 6 big browns.
The good news? He claimed they were all released.
The bad news? They were all photo'd on a chain stringer.
I was limited to what I could say being at my work.
"Sir, I HIGHLY recommend.....", to which I recieved "They all swam away healthy". Heres hoping. Did seem like a decent man.

Posted on: 2009/5/16 5:08

From Mechanicsburg,PA
The water below these feeders hold cold pockets and I've caught trout over a mile from some of them in mid summer. It's nice to have streams where where you can catch large trout and smallmouth side by side. The first time I found trout on the connie was opening day of bass. I ended up catching about 25 bows. Stockers and some very nice holdovers.

Posted on: 2009/5/16 9:15

Why is it when somebody has a bad day or two at their "secret" streams they get poacher paranoia? Not saying it doesn't occur but to listen to some, you think it was a common occurence. I'm out there 100+ days a year and just don't see it. I'm sure many of you hear stories secondhand at the local pub or streamside but how often do you actually witness serious poaching?

NJA

Posted on: 2009/5/18 17:46

From Lemoyne
I'm tired of the bagging on bait fisherman. Your fly is bait. These streams have been decimated from your yuppie lifestyle. The green lawns, those chemicals do more damage to a stream than someone that wants a trout dinner. Wake up..

Posted on: 2012/5/9 21:39

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com