Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Catskills, Delaware/Sullivan Counties 4/26-48

From Long Island
Well, finally got some well needed time away from home and got up to the Catskills this weekend. Fished with my buddies Ben Turpin and our friend Mark. Started off on the WB around 10 on Saturday, with some caddis hatching right from the start. Tossed streamers from Indian Country down to where the PA border waters start. Only had one fish then, when i tossed the streamer to the bank he came up and hit it as soon as it hit the water. Gigged him. Around 1-2 pm a ton of olives started hatching, and since it was warm, the fish were finally looking up. We found rising fish down on the West Branch Anglers pool, and caught one small one right away on the first cast with a Wonderbug. Then the downpoors came, and heavy heavy gusts. But after they passed, we still had some fish rising. Down in the Upper Ganelands along the banks we found a pod of fish, and had another one grab my wonderbug but snapped me off right at the boat. While passing through the mudflats we saw a Bald Eagle fly right into the nest with a trout in the tallons. Cool sight. As we kept rowing down river, bug activity tapered off and you could feel the temps dropping. Down at the end of Methodist Pool we found a few fish rising to sub surface or spinners, but couldnt dredge any out. Besides me yackin' from a sever migraine all day, Fishing was still good. Managed to land 3 that day and lost 3.

The next day, we started at Hale Eddy around 11. Windy and cold. Not a good sign for bug life. Started rowing down river and managed to hookup with about a 16 maybe 17 inch brown around the lease property. He eventually spit the hook. That was the only fish i could hookup with until we got to just below the wall at balls eddy, where i hooked a nice 16 inch brown on a 16 PT. Mark eventually hooked up with a nice bow a little down river in Methodist Pool. Wasnt much activity on the surface due to the cold water, cold air temps and the wind. Mark also hooked another bow on the other side of the 191 bridge that spit the hook too. Tough day of fishing but it was better than none when your with good friends.

Hatches present that we saw:
Early stones
Blue Wing Olives
The occasional Hendrickson and a few Quill Gordons
Typical Tan and Black Caddis

Weird that we keep hearing of all these reports of Blue Quills on the WB and we didnt see one in 2 days.

Left East Branch Outfitters around 10 on Monday for the ride home, but stopped in Cook Falls to fish the Beaverkill. Dredged a couple fish up on nymphs. Hooked up with 2 nice bows(wild i think). Hooked them in the riffles and they really took off like delaware fish. Very pretty fish all colored up and big fins. They had lots of energy and were jumping in the air during the fight. The guy next to me caught an honest 22 inch Beaverkill wild brown. Beautiful fish. Does anyone know where the bows come from in the Beaverkill? They looked wild to me.

Also, nice meeting you Kray. Glad you decided to hit the WB Sunday instead of no bugs on the EB. Thought for sure we'd meet on the river and not Little Italy in Hancock. Glad to hear you caught a few fish as well.

The guy i fished with Ben Turpin has a guide service around the Poconos. Hes a great guide and a really good friend. He also used to guide for The Delaware River Club but now guides on his own. Kray will agree about everything i say about him. If you need a guide for the Upper D or even around PA, hes the guy

Check out his site at Benturpin.com

-Kev

Attach file:

jpg  rsz_1image[1].jpg (79.79 KB)
2605_5361a5e661e4c.jpg 480X480 px

jpg  rsz_2image[1].jpg (48.60 KB)
2605_5361a5f2abbd3.jpg 360X480 px

jpg  rsz_3image[1].jpg (34.23 KB)
2605_5361a6176eaa1.jpg 480X360 px

jpg  rsz_image[1].jpg (36.13 KB)
2605_5361a62aaebbe.jpg 480X360 px

jpg  rsz_image_5.jpg (38.88 KB)
2605_5361a639a9b01.jpg 480X360 px

Posted on: 4/30 21:41

Re: Catskills, Delaware/Sullivan Counties 4/26-48

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Someone want to start an over/under?

Posted on: 4/30 23:15

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Long Island
What?

Posted on: 4/30 23:49

From lower burrell, pa
Joke

Posted on: 5/1 8:20

From Chester County
Nice!...FB3. Almost never easy, but a great river to fish.

Glad you had a good time.

Posted on: 5/1 8:23

From Long Island
Yeah even though the fishing was prime, we still got a few. Gonna get back up there in July.

Posted on: 5/1 17:07

From Dauphin PA
Shame,

I'll take the under.

Posted on: 5/1 19:42

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
I have not named an under. I would put it at 2 probably.

Posted on: 5/1 20:19

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com