Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Bushkill Creek, Northampton Co, 11/28/2008

Fished the Bushkill above the dam at Stocker Auto on up to Newlins Mill Rd. from 12:30pm to 4:00pm.

Air temp had to hit 45 and I would guess the water temp was about 42.

Managed two fish. One was caught on a prince nymph and the other was caught on a BHHE. Both fish were quite nice and about 13"-14", but overall it was a tough day. BWOs were in the air, but few fish were at the surface feeding. I saw maybe two fish working the surface and they were put down by the guy that was fishing with me within his first few casts.

This is a nice stretch of stream and offers some nice water.

Posted on: 2008/11/28 18:59

Re: Bushkill Creek, Northampton Co, 11/28/2008

From Bangor, PA
Hey Jeff, I saw you today, fishing that section. That IS nice water.

If you had looked up and to the bike path on the other side of the stream, you would have seen me with three guys, one of which was pushing a stroller. We may have looked like a group of walkers out for a stroll on a beautiful afternoon, but in reality, it was a few members of the Forks Trout Unlimited chapter conducting a casual redd survey. We counted 16 from the Stocker Mill bridge to Newlins Mill, one of which was really huge.

Keep in mind that it was our chapter's first time doing it and we only walked next to the stream. Next time, we may put waders and get out there to investigate suspect bright spots.

Glad you had some success there!

Posted on: 2008/11/28 20:03

OMC -
Were you wearing a black jacket while on your jaunt?

Today was the first tme I actually fished that section so it was a little bit of a learning experience. I thought I would have done better considering the water, but many streams in the area are fishing tough right now so why should the Bushkill be different...

I counted 8-10 redds while working up through that section of stream, but there are plenty more through the C&R section and down by 13TH St. This stream should really fish well in a few years.

Posted on: 2008/11/28 21:05

From Bangor, PA
Yes, I was wearing a black pullover (which was covered in briars and stickers!). It is definitely heartening to see the stream recovering after being dewatered recently. Thanks for the informal redd count - I'll pass that on to our chapter leaders. The official protocol for redd counting says to figure in + or - 20% as a margin of error (and that's for professionals).

Posted on: 2008/11/28 21:43

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com