Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Brodhead Creek, Monroe County, 05/17/2010

From Philadelphia, PA
Fished the Brodhead for the first time today. Despite the underwhelming impression of the surrounding area driving in via 22/33, once we found ourselves on the creek near Anamolink, we were impressed with how picturesque the creek was. Fished from a few hundred yards below top of the channelized stretch up to the large still pool below the train bridge.

Time: 2pm - 7:30pm
Flow: ~ 80 CFS
Water Temp: No thermometer, I'd guess high 50s

Early afternoon had sporadic bug activity with a nice handful of large March Browns flying around and we were able to land 4 fish on March Brown dries.

Bug activity slowed for a couple hours but by 5:30pm or so was really heating up. Not a ton of bugs on the water, but plenty in the air (and still a good number on the water). We saw two colors of Caddis, March Browns, some very large Black Stoneflies, a bright yellow-bodied fly with two sets of wings that my companion said was a golden Stonefly (though I disagreed), midges, Sulfurs, and a white fly that was immitated well by a light Cahill.

Seriously, everything was in the air.

Despite this, no rising fish. Anywhere. Neither of us so much as hooked a fish for the last 3 hours on the stream.

Between the two of us, six fish came to hand in the 5.5 hours we were on the stream. All fish were taken on the surface, which is a first in my fishing experience. About a dozen different nymphs were drifted and swung through, with no takers.

Not that landing only a few fish is foreign territory to me, but based on observations on the stream fish population seemed low. Anyone know if this is the case?

Couple of pics attached.

Attach file:

jpg  brodhead1.jpg (241.39 KB)
15_4bf2f62960104.jpg 599X618 px

jpg  brodhead2.jpg (206.45 KB)
15_4bf2f6344154a.jpg 583X641 px

Posted on: 2010/5/18 16:19

Re: Brodhead Creek, Monroe County, 05/17/2010
From Gettysburg
Nice report. This is an example of what we're seeking here on PAFF with regards to fishing reports: specific information (and you remembered to include the county in the title line). Pics aren't necessary but they add to the report and often folks click on the thread to see the pics.

I'm not a regular in that part of the state so will have to defer to a Poconos guy/gal for comment on what's typical there.

Posted on: 2010/5/18 16:28

From It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
There are lots of fish.. they should not even stock trout

Posted on: 2010/5/18 22:07

From Media, PA
I have to agree with GM; the Brodhead always seem to have lots of fish; though they aren't always on a tear. Don't even want to get into the stocking over wild fish issue. I've always caught the vast majority of my fish using wets and nymphs there. (and you can't be bashful with the weight) The riffles and fast runs have been the most generous to me.

Posted on: 2010/5/18 22:16

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com