Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Broadhead 9/29/07

Fished a couple of stretches on the Broadhead along Rt. 191 above Stroudsburg for the first time. First at the first pullout of the Broadhead greenway park system which is really nice by the way. There must be a posted/no trespassing sign factory located in the Poconos somewhere. Not here though. I arrived about 9 am and left around 12. The water was deeper than expected though I could see was low for the river. Reminded me of the rivers out in Montana, big broad flats, stone shorelines, ect.. No bug action observed. Caught a handful of rainbow dinks in likely looking spots along with 2 rainbows of moderate size. Did not catch one wild brown, even a small one. Really pretty water though. Also saw a bunch of stonefly shucks on rocks and some big slate drake nymphs under rocks.

Second stop was above the 191 bridge and below what I have heard is club water. Much lower part of the stream. Hooked and lost one more rainbow and packed it in. Unless the club water is much different than the water I pummelled in the am, which it likely is, I wondering what the wild population in this stream actually is or if it essentially a hold over stream. Usually, if I'm into some stockers in good holding water I luck out on a least one stream bred fish. The scenery really can't be beat for this side of the state though. And for the fishing, well, if I'm going to go an hour north of the Lehigh Valley, I may as well go 1.5 and get to some wild trout water. Just my own taste I guess. Any experience on the club water out there? I know it has a storied past. I just wonder whether its turned into a Donny Beaver scenario or maybe it was the model.

Posted on: 2007/10/1 16:23

Re: Broadhead 9/29/07

Much of the private club water on the Brodhead has been so since the 1800s.

Posted on: 2007/10/1 19:54

Just about everything above Cherry Lane in Analomink is private - and well patrolled. Just below Cherry Lane is a rocky section that looks as much as the original stream as anywhere in the public water. That's as good a place as any to find wild browns.
Most of the stream between Analomink and Stroudsburg was channelized following Hurricane Dianne in 1955. Brodhead TU has been adding rocks and the river is healing somewhat, but the channelization hurt.

Walked into the Gorge last week and got two nice rainbows and lost a monster (along with a mess of bluegils and smallies). Big rainbows often show up in the gorge in the fall. Some say they come up from the Delaware, but I don't know. Water was low, but didn't smell sewage much (the gorge is downstream of the Stroudsburg and E Stroudsburg sewage plants). However, sure could smell the paper mill.

The fishing in the low, clear water of early autumn is tough. The browns will be hunkering under some rock until it gets dark.

Posted on: 2007/10/2 9:40

I fished the gorge in early September and got some nice rainbows. Came upon a group of very sketchy characters that ruined my day though. Tough wading at times in there. Very deep too!

Posted on: 2007/10/12 12:33

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com