Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Boiling Springs (The Run), Cumberland Co, 3/13/11

From York, PA
I fished the Run today because no other streams appeared to be fishable with the high water. I'm new to flyfishing so I was pumped to catch three fish today in tough conditions. Managed several on wooly buggers and missed several on clousers. Two rainbows and a brown...good day for me!

Posted on: 2011/3/13 13:05

Edited by Fishidiot on 2011/3/13 15:57:53

Re: Boiling Springs (The Run), Cumberland Co, 3/13/11
From Gettysburg
Good stuff. Glad you had some luck.
You mention tough conditions....Was the water cloudy, or heavy fishing pressure? Usually here in the Stream Reports section we like to see some description of the conditions on the water, hatches, fishing pressure, weather, etc.
Not a big deal. We try to solicit some basic information about the stream for our readership. Also, we request the county where you fished in the title (I already added it for you) so as to maintain a standardized format and assist with search function. Also, there are many streams in the state with the same name ("Pine Creek," "Cedar Run," "Fishing Creek" etc) and providing the county helps prevent confusion.
Thanks,
Dave W

Posted on: 2011/3/13 16:04

From York, PA
Gotcha...

Well, the Run, on the Yellow Breeches was in good shape as it comes from the spring/lake, but the FF area joins the Breeches main stem only a few hundred yards below the lake outflow and the main stem was still blown, into the trees, and chocolate milk. The Run was clear and fishable, but there were several other folks fishing and with only a few hundred yards to work, it may have been too much. I didnt see any other fish caught, and saw only a few visible fish through the FF section.

As for water levels, I dont believe the main stem of the Yellow Breeches will be fishable until the end of this week.

Posted on: 2011/3/13 18:16

From Enola, Pa.

I was in New Cumberland yesterday, so I went down to the park to take a look at the stream. The water was still up into the park, they had the road closed so, I couldn't get a good look. I'm sure it will be awhile till it's down enough to fish.

PaulG

Posted on: 2011/3/14 8:07

From Mechanicsburg, PA
All those recent stockis may end up at Gene's pool. This high water may even move that sand bar.

Posted on: 2011/3/14 10:54

From Dallastown, PA
I was n McCormick Road today, near bowmansdale. The britches is coming down and green. Might fish by Wednesday or Thursday.

Posted on: 2011/3/14 21:55

From Eastern PA
I crossed it a few times today and thought it looked fishable.

Posted on: 2011/3/14 23:44

From Dallastown, PA
Its fishable if you stay out of it.....about a foot of vis and pushing hard. Where I looked at it its still up about a foot or so. but its green and thats the first requirement. it just has to drop.

You'd need a honda rim to get to the bottom.

Its at 1000cfs, when it gets to 400 have at it.

Posted on: 2011/3/14 23:48

From Mechanicsburg
Went to Yellow Breeches (the run) today mainly to check it out but when i got there the run was looking pretty good. Clear and nice water movement. Not sure of temp. Can only fish down to were the 2 streams come together. The rest was high, muddy and very fast. The run had alot of sand sediment from the lake. From what i heard, they cleaned out the lake and lowered the water. Pulling out alot of the growth loosened the bottom and alot of it came into the run. sorry to say i did not go over to check out the lake. Could not see many fish at the upper part of the run but down lower, there were many fish. Guess alot got pushed downstream. Also alot of suckers. Seen many tiny BWO i guess a size 20-24, also another guy who was there was doing well on Midges, he was using a 3 fly midge rig. Only seen 3 guys fishing the whole 3 hours i was there. This is my first stream conditions report. Hope i covered it all.
Also drove by McCormick Road off of 114 and it seamed high but coming down. Was a little fast and not clear. Thought it would be good come weekend but i hear they are calling for another inch of rain Tuesday into Wednesday.

Posted on: 2011/3/14 23:59

From Eastern PA
Quote:

Maurice wrote:
Its fishable if you stay out of it.....about a foot of vis and pushing hard. Where I looked at it its still up about a foot or so. but its green and thats the first requirement. it just has to drop.

You'd need a honda rim to get to the bottom.

Its at 1000cfs, when it gets to 400 have at it.

Good point. I wasn't considering the wade factor. I don't know the area well, so I am not sure where I was crossing. Definitely above the lake in BS.

I did find some fishable water near the Breeches and there was a wonderful BWO hatch with lots of risers. Got my blood pumping for Spring hatches!

Posted on: 2011/3/15 0:04

From Mount Joy, PA
Hey, if you can wade the SR, you can probably wade the Britches!

Posted on: 2011/3/15 21:49

From Mechanicsburg
Went to Yellow Breeches today, Was in the run from Noon till 2:30. I did pretty well down below at the hole. Was not sure i was going to fish, no one else was there. Was there yesterday and only seen 1 fish, today i seen 3 in a few minutes and decided its good learning and no one can see me mess up. Water was running a little fast and was clear but i thought it looked good. I caught 3 trout between 10-14 inches. Had another one on but just before he got to me he was off. Also got 2 3-4 inch Minnows. was at the end of the drift close to the edge. All the fish were caught on size 20 midges. I was also using a flashback scud. Figured there are alot of shrimp in the lake maybe the fish would be use to them coming down to them. Seen a few fish hit the top on what i think might of been a midge. The main stream was still a little high but was fishable and wadeable. Maybe ill try that part next week. it seems to be clearer than it was last week and not as fast.

Posted on: 2011/3/25 17:31

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com