Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Bob's Creek, Class-A Section Bedford County, 06/16/11

Location: start of Class-A section, upstream ~1 mile into Class-A water

Time: 2-5pm

Weather: Thunderstorm, upper 60s

Water Temp: unknown

Water Clarity: light stain

Water Level: Seemed average-about the same as Monday

Hatches: very, very, light-saw a few Green Drakes and some March Browns, nothing really keyed on them

Parked at the pull-off by the trail to the Missing Children monument as an afternoon storm was setting in. Hiked in a fair bit, saw lots of bear sign (fresh tracks) and made my way down some small tribs to the mainstem of the stream. I recommend parking a bit before the monument if you are heading to the Class-A water, I had a bit of a walk to get to the mainstem from there, but it was a neat hike. The mid-June frog-strangler soaked me good, but the woods got that wet, fresh, smell that no air freshner company as of yet can truly duplicate. Goal today was to try to catch a native and I searched long and hard in that infertile mountain water. Looking for the "perfect" pool, I found several really nice spots with some deeper water, but only saw an isolated fish. I had to keep reminding myself this was a mountain stream, without the biomass of a limestoner. I was prospecting with a Royal Coachmen dry, got no interest but there was no one at the dance most of the time. Had a dinner date with the wife, did not want to screw that up, so headed back downstream about 16:15. Sun came out, no surface activity so I tied on a thing we use back in IA/WI called a Pink Squirrel (beadhead nymph) and used that on the way out. Just about ready to quit when a fish broke the surface in a fast riffle. I paused and watched him settle back down in a pocket, then dart towards the surface again. I also saw a few others. On the third cast, he nailed it hard, like a little locomotive, and I landed a living jewel of a 11" brookie. Mission accomplished, I released him and headed home to get cleaned up for supper.

Regards,

Joe

Posted on: 2011/6/16 23:21

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com