HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Big Spring, Cumberland Co, 8/4/13
From Gettysburg
Quote:

wgmiller wrote:
....... so the fish have time to recover from all the pressure!

For those of you who are new to Big Spring: Please be aware that this is spawning time for the bows in BS. This stream is rather unique in it's timing with respect to spawning. The bows spawn in late Aug/Sept and the brookies spawn in Dec-Jan. That big bow laying on a patch of gravel this week is likely in spawning mode. Take what precautions you deem ethical.
Of course, many of the readers of this forum know about this......Just an FYI for the BS newbies.

Posted on: 2013/9/9 10:47

From Ephrata, PA
Haha! I keep looking at my work schedule. I've got nothing but work for the next several weeks. All I need is one day where I'm off at 1 or 2pm, and I'm on my way to Car Lizzle!

Posted on: 2013/9/9 10:47

From Hunker
Luckily my days off are tues and Wednesdays, and sometimes a weekend, so usually the fishing is good and undisturbed. McSneek, I'm originally from Wyano Pa, but its close enough to hunker to be considered.

Posted on: 2013/9/9 14:52
"Ours is the grandest sport. It is an intriguing battle of wits between an angler and a trout; and in addition to appreciating the tradition and grace of the game, we play it in the magnificent out-of-doors."
~ Ernest G. Schwiebert, Jr.

From Ephrata, PA
Yeah I'm totally the opposite. I only have the weekends to make a drive like that. I should have taken advantage of the long summer nights and gone on days where I get off at 5:15. I could have been there by 6:45 and had a few hours to fish.

My next half-day during the week is Oct. 9th. I leave for the Smokies on Oct. 10th though. Not sure my wife will be keen on me fishing all afternoon/evening the day before.......

Posted on: 2013/9/9 16:23

From Mountain Top
Congrats!!! that's one beautiful, healthy 'bow!

IMO, there is little more in this hobby that is more satisfying than the moment you finally fool a specific, particular fish (double entendre most definitely intended) that you've been targeting for a while... 'cept landing it, of course :)

Posted on: 2013/9/11 14:29

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
I find your dig of Mike Heck on the Orvis site to be in very poor taste.He might be one of the nicest guys I have me. Just my opinion.

Posted on: 2013/9/11 16:55

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Da 'Berg, PA
i read Mike's website a couple of times a week, it seems very informative and he does seem to put people on fish, including a lot of first timers which is not easy to do.

imho a guide on a chalkstream is different to other streams - he knows actually which spot is likely to hold fish, which weedbed has a 'slot' under it etc and where you need to position yourself for the cast and that's pretty much it, the rest is up to the casting ability of the sport and the guide plays statues until he's called to net (a lot like Salmon Ghillies).

freestone guides are more into adjusting the set up, watching the drifts, watching the hatches etc while you're fishing, changing flies and drifts until you hit paydirt - a lot more interactive imho.

judging by his book, i think Mike knows his stuff.

just my .02

Posted on: 2013/9/11 17:19

From Harrisburg
I liked Mike Heck. And I dont care for most guides. Matter of fact, I can think of two I liked.

Fishidiot is not Dave Wolf. And I am a bit pissed he was at the Letort and I was not. Hes not on the stream everyday anymore. Heck, not even everyweek or every month for the matter.
And that is in fact a lovely, lovely bow.

Posted on: 2013/9/12 5:16

From lancaster county
Quote:
I find your dig of Mike Heck on the Orvis site to be in very poor taste.He might be one of the nicest guys I have me. Just my opinion.

I agree. I'm not sure what your trying to accomplish there.

I like your reports, as I fish the same streams but I would just keep it at that.

Posted on: 2013/9/12 17:22

From Mechanicsburg, Pa
Mike Heck is great guy in my book.

Posted on: 2013/9/12 17:51

From Eastern PA
Quote:

SBecker wrote:

Shane I am glad that you brought this up. I cannot figure out what this guys angle is but it is pretty clear that he has one. Its a SHAME!

Reading this report I have to wonder why one would be walking down the banks of THE Letort (Spring Run?) hand in hand with Ed Shenk, yet feel the urge to go fish Big Spring?

#BSisnoLetortSpringRun

Posted on: 2013/9/15 23:28

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes
No
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com