Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Big Spring, Cumberland Co, 8/4/13

From Hunker
8/4/13. I arrived again at Bonnybrook at 9am and while I was getting ready, Ed Shenk pulled in to take a walk down the trail. He invited me to come along with him and explained a lot what was going on with the stream. He showed me a couple meadows including the exact spot he landed old George. After learning and listening from the master of the letort I had realized that it was almost noon, and I wanted to fish Big Spring before I went home, so that's where I headed. Upon arrival my rod was still set up with a black wholly bugger from the morning. I left it on and thought I could move some big fish before I put on my cress bug. As I approached the stream, I saw on the far side the one monster rainbow that I've been trying to catch for 3 months. I hooked him once on a cress bug but he quickly broke my 6x tippet. Sometimes he's there, sometimes he's not, but today he looked to be feeding right behind a big clump of cress. Many anglers try to cach the fish but never succeed, I have seen plenty guides trying as well with no luck at all. my first cast, the streamer landed right above the cress and went up and over and As soon as he saw it, he shot up and took it so hard that I jumped. I instantly set the hook on my new rod and that fish took off downstream and went right into another bed of cress and got me tangled, but the weight of the fish and the pull of my rod ripped right through the weeds and I was free again, as I tryed to force him away from the nearest cress bed he shot downstream again taking 30 feet of line. I hurriedly ran down the bank while a couple other anglers ran over to see the commotion, I was able to get below the fish and finally subdue him, but he was so big that both of my hands couldn't even get around him. The nearest angler watched and offered help, so I threw him my phone for a quick picture. The hook set was perfect, and the hook came out easily. Quick pic and he was back in. The angler said to me, " I got a few pics, I just kept hitting the button" so I got the landing pic and the final pic. Me and the other anglers agreed that the fish was about a 6+ lbs and about 25-28" inches long. After fishing a few more hours and catching around 4 more on my cress bug, I was off to yellow breeches outfitters. I showed Rowland my pic and he immediately put it up on the wall where all the other trophy trout pics are. What a awesome weekend, and can't wait to go back. If you wanna see that trout, it's up on the board at yellow breeches outfitters.. I would add a photo but my iPhone is not uploading it correctly. If anybody wants to see any other reports of Letort, Big Spring or Falling Spring, check out Orvis.com/fallingsprings and scroll down to the bottom where stream reports are located.

Posted on: 2013/9/6 12:22

Edited by Fishidiot on 2013/9/6 19:40:42
"Ours is the grandest sport. It is an intriguing battle of wits between an angler and a trout; and in addition to appreciating the tradition and grace of the game, we play it in the magnificent out-of-doors."
~ Ernest G. Schwiebert, Jr.

Re: A big day at Big Spring

From Glen Rock PA
wow! Welcome to the forum! great story and congrads on the big fish, hope you can get a pic uploaded soon!

Posted on: 2013/9/6 12:46

From Camp Hill, PA
Ditto on the Wow/Welcome and I will print this out and make sure Ed/Rowland get to read it. I will see the trophy board in a couple of hours.

Link Mentioned:
http://www.orvis.com/fishing_report.aspx?locationid=6020

Posted on: 2013/9/6 13:12

From South central PA
You have to resize the images from your phone, if you would like me to post it for you, email it to me and i would be happy to help. Laidigview@gmail.com

Evan

Posted on: 2013/9/6 16:17

From Lancaster
Awesome! +1 on everything stated above. Yeah, let's see the big 'un.

Posted on: 2013/9/6 17:43

From Monessen, PA
Quote:

LetortAngler wrote:
8/4/13. I arrived again at Bonnybrook at 9am....

All the way from Hunker? That's dedication.

Posted on: 2013/9/6 18:15

-- Leo Tolstoy

From Gettysburg
LetortAngler,
Welcome to our online community - glad you had a good day at Big Spring.

We ask that reports posted in this forum include stream name followed by county and then date as can be seen in the other report's title blocks (fixed now). Not a big deal - we usually have to tell new posters about this (I had to be told after my first report too). This helps with standard search function.
Dave W

Posted on: 2013/9/6 19:39

Re: Big Spring, Cumberland Co, 8/4/13

From Bucks County
Nice report Letort! Glad to see you made it to the forum, I think you will like it here. The big ones don't come easy from BS. Congratulations!

Posted on: 2013/9/6 22:26

From Hunker
Thanks everyone, I have sent a pic to Evan and hopefully he will have a bit more luck than me uploading the photo. Dave, I will be more specific next time and I should have known better for I've been reading reports off this site for a couple years now. Is your last name Wolfe by chance? Because I met a Dave Wolfe last week at Letort and Im curious if you are him?

Posted on: 2013/9/8 23:51
"Ours is the grandest sport. It is an intriguing battle of wits between an angler and a trout; and in addition to appreciating the tradition and grace of the game, we play it in the magnificent out-of-doors."

From Hunker
Jack M, it is a drive, every day I'm off work which is 3-4 days every 2 weeks, I drive round trip of 230 miles or alittle less if I'm going to falling springs, to fish PAs spring creeks. And it's worth every mile

Posted on: 2013/9/9 0:05

From South central PA
Here ya go Letortangler, nice fish!

Attach file:

jpg  image-picsay.jpg (71.66 KB)
6092_522d8a0007dd6.jpg 374X499 px

Posted on: 2013/9/9 4:43

Quite a Chunker. great fish

Posted on: 2013/9/9 9:40

From Lancaster Co.
Nice fish! Must have made all those round trips to Cumberland County worthwhile.

On another note - I dated a girl from Hunker when I was in college. She was nice too!

Posted on: 2013/9/9 10:02

From Ephrata, PA
Man. I've got the urge to go back to Big Spring real soon, but I ain't doing it on the weekend, that's for sure!

Posted on: 2013/9/9 10:07

From Mount Joy, PA
Quote:

The_Sasquatch wrote:
Man. I've got the urge to go back to Big Spring real soon, but I ain't doing it on the weekend, that's for sure!

Word up. And mid-week to boot so the fish have time to recover from all the pressure!

Posted on: 2013/9/9 10:41

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com