Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

20-Mile Creek, Erie County 3-24-09

From Pittsburgh
Conditions: Water clear and fairly low
Weather: Sunny and Temps in 40 to 50 range

We fished the portion from Rt. 5 to the mouth. I didn't know what to expect but the the stream is just loaded with fish. There were fish everywhere!

Any one considering a trip to Erie Tribs should make a trip and take advantage of some great "warm" weather steelheading.

Tried streamers first with no success - switched to egg patterns and hooked up with 10 or so nice fish (only landed 4).

The patterns that produced for me were a "Steeler Egg" and a Black and blue egg. As you might guess the steeler egg is half black and half yellow: I tie mine with a black glass bead head for a little extra sink.

The black-and-blue egg is baby blue with a black dot. I added a brass bead-head to these flies.

Both were fairly large - approx 3/8 inch diameter.

Here's a pic of a nice 27 incher. There were many more like this and bigger in the stream. Get up there and give it a try!

Attach file:

jpg  DSCN7114.JPG (78.06 KB)
715_49ca604d7282b.jpg 500X231 px

Posted on: 2009/3/25 12:49

Re: 20-Mile Creek, Erie County 3-24-09

From Pittsburgh
Nice lookin' fresh fish!

Posted on: 2009/3/25 13:26

Ditto

Posted on: 2009/3/25 13:34

I am going to be up this weekend. Thanks for the report. I am surprised that there are that many fresh fish coming into 20 mile.

Anybody know how the rain is effecting the tribs today? Probably not much yet, but I would like to know what they are like tomorrow.

Nice fish and thanks for the report.

Posted on: 2009/3/26 12:12

From Pittsburgh
Quote:

bjkaledas wrote:
I am going to be up this weekend. Thanks for the report. I am surprised that there are that many fresh fish coming into 20 mile.

Anybody know how the rain is effecting the tribs today? Probably not much yet, but I would like to know what they are like tomorrow.

Nice fish and thanks for the report.

A little rain would probably be good - the fish were pretty spooky with the low water. If things aren't blown-out with the rain, it should be pretty good fishing this weekend.

I'd like to get up there again early next week - be sure to let us know what it's like this weekend!

Posted on: 2009/3/26 15:27

Well, the fishing this weekend was great. I fished Walnut on Saturday and Sunday because we started at Elk in the morning and there were not many fish in the area of the Legion Hole and Sterretania had more, but they were skiddish with the low, clear water and the sun on the water.

I fished around the Manchester hole and the chutes. The fishing was really great even though it was low. The water started coming up around 12 PM yesterday and heard that Elk was already unfishable in the upper reaches. There is some more rain forecasted for this week, so the fishing this weekend I would imagine would be very good.

Posted on: 2009/3/30 12:23

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com