Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

20 Mile Creek, Erie County, 10-19-09

From NW PA
Arrived on stream at 7:30am, and fished downstream of the route 90 bridge. The stream had a decent flow, especially relative to the other Erie tributaries, but was perfectly clear. Started with a tube fly and worked downstream for a ways. Saw a few fish in every good pocket, but they wanted nothing to do with my black marabou tube. Stopped at the best looking hole with the largest number of fish and began switching flies. No luck on egg patterns, sucker spawn, stonefly nymphs, olive wooly buggers, or prince nymphs. Two nice fish caught on an olive colored zonker fly. I worked my fly over a group of fish a dozen or so times when a bright hen decided to smash the streamer. I was dumbfounded. A couple hours later the same thing happened again. A single fish out of a pod decided to eat my streamer and made a bee line for it. Why those fish decided to strike after seeing the same fly a few dozen times is a mystery to me, but it sure was fun to watch. Kept my first two fish in the last 2 years. Lemon pepper steelhead steaks at the cabin this weekend with my wonderful girlfriend, and fish chowder and grilled steelhead in the near future! Overall a great day on the water with my father, and I look forward to making a trip again next week!
Some pics.
First fish
Resized Image

second fish
Resized Image

Hauling out my catch
Resized Image

The fly that worked
Resized Image

Posted on: 2009/10/19 19:37

Re: 20 Mile Creek, Erie County, 10-19-09

From lancaster county
Good for you!

I bet them fish are going to taste great. Frankly im not much of a fish eater, but you made that sound good.

I love the way you included a pic of the fly you had success with. I might have to start doing that.

Anyways good stuff...looked like a great day to b on the water.

Posted on: 2009/10/19 19:49

Re: 20 Mile Creek, Erie County, 10-19-09

From Boonsboro
Nice job...i feel they often strike not because they are hungry but out of aggression..more often males though in a pool. Females pick up egg patterns for many reasons..to move them back to the redd or to eat them thinking they are another fish's egg. Not that this always applies to fall though.

In clear water..it is often a lot harder so you did good.

I have had the same thing happen. That fly is nice..looks great. try using small streamers when you have low clear water..tiny flys work well even size 16 soft hackle

As far as eating i thought they taste great...the only bummer is knowing they came from a great lake...not sure about how the water quality is but then again moderation is key..i have been told Erie (being shallow) is better then the others. I dont dare eat a fish out of Ontario anymore..

Posted on: 2009/10/20 12:31

~by Arnold Gingrich, 1969~

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com