HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: cedar Run

From Gunpowder River, MD
Quote:

RRR wrote:
I don't know about dynamite, although I'm sure some people might use it. When I was a young fellow, the wife and I used to spend alot of time up in the Potter Co.and Tioga Co. area and became pretty well acquainted with some of the local families up there. I won't go into detail as to the method they used so as not to give anybody any ideas, but I do know they had a technique that they used on small brookie streams which would kill every trout in a given pool or stretch of stream. The whole family would go along and all would position themselves downstream of the kill zone with nets and scoop up the dead trout as they drifted down. That's just how they got their fish when they wanted a fish fry. That was about 35 or 40 years ago but I imagine it still goes on today. Never actually saw them do it, but that's what they told me. To hear that about Cedar (or any other stream for that matter) is very trajic. I never fished Cedar or Slate and am heading up that way in a couple weeks to see the fall foliage and revisit some of the areas my wife and I used to hunt and fish. I'll still fish Cedar while I'm up there and post a report as to what I find when I get back.

You're killing me, mercy...Do you think they have any idea they're doing something wrong? Or, do you think they know perfectly well what they are doing, and they just don't care?

Posted on: 2009/10/5 21:55

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
As I heard it it was a local mennonite group and they used 1/2 sticks of dynomite. the person who told me has a cabin nearby and stated he could see the sulpher burns on the bottom. Tom at slate says this went on alot in the past but is more rare now.

Posted on: 2009/10/7 8:45

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From SE Pa.
sandy
what happened to you ?
your motto use to be "many a nite with a mennonite" LOL !!!!!!!

Posted on: 2009/10/7 19:22

From Barto PA
sundrunk Of course they knew they were doing something wrong. I don't know what you mean by "you're killing me". I didn't in any way intimate that I condoned their behavior.Just like they know they're doing something wrong when they shoot deer out of season or go into someone's barnyard and slaughter one of their cows or pigs when they're not home. We're talking about people who live back in the hills and live off the land in any way they can. What would you have proposed I do about it? Back then, they couldn't even get a game warden to do anything but drive around on the main roads once a month or so. Nobody does or says much about such incidents because they're afraid of the repercussions.

Posted on: 2009/10/7 20:20

Quote:
sandy
what happened to you ?
your motto use to be "many a nite with a mennonite" LOL !!!!!!!

found out there are AMISH here as well, with no elec. you can't see what your gettin into...lol...

Posted on: 2009/10/8 10:22

There's quite a bit of poaching done in my area of the state, too. Mostly by Baptist and Methodist and United Church of Christ religious groups, I believe.

Posted on: 2009/10/9 11:26

From Gunpowder River, MD
Quote:

RRR wrote:
sundrunk Of course they knew they were doing something wrong. I don't know what you mean by "you're killing me". I didn't in any way intimate that I condoned their behavior.Just like they know they're doing something wrong when they shoot deer out of season or go into someone's barnyard and slaughter one of their cows or pigs when they're not home. We're talking about people who live back in the hills and live off the land in any way they can. What would you have proposed I do about it? Back then, they couldn't even get a game warden to do anything but drive around on the main roads once a month or so. Nobody does or says much about such incidents because they're afraid of the repercussions.

I meant learning of "this news" was hard to take, I.E "you're killing me"..

There haven't been any expectations put on you by me. I was merly asking an opinon from you. Are the perpetrators aware of the fact that they broke the law?

People have to eat, and I can certainly understand that. At the same time we're a nation of laws..If someone wants to change the law, then they should organize themselves aroud a cause and vote on it..

Troutbert,

I for one am less interested in groups and more interested in laws. Individuals broke the law, and in that act, terminated protected species, this is wrong.

Posted on: 2009/10/9 13:40

Quote:

Troutbert,

I for one am less interested in groups and more interested in laws. Individuals broke the law, and in that act, terminated protected species, this is wrong.

I'm not interested in groups either. And that was the point that I was trying to make, in an ironic way.

Poaching is not done by "religous groups" at all. No religious group has a religious practice of poaching. Poaching is done by INDIVIDUALS.

So it's Bob or John or Robert or Ed or whoever that is poaching, not a "religious" group. The person doing the crime may be a MEMBER of a particular religious or ethnic group, but it's still that person or persons doing the crime, not the group as a whole.

The great majority of Mennonites would very strongly disapprove of something like that. If in fact some Mennonite(s) did that, then they were probably rowdy kids, which occur in all religious and cultural groups. And their parents would surely come down hard on them if they ever get caught.

Re: Do they know it's against the law? Yes, of course. Everyone knows that.

Posted on: 2009/10/9 19:36

You people don't under stand it was whole familys of them. they were aresseted i hear. fathers, mothers, kids ,grandparents. when they do a fish fry they all go out to help, whole comunities. sorry to beak your bubble but it happens all over the north central area of the state.I have heard of other areas with the same problem. its not talked about much though.

Posted on: 2009/10/10 10:53

From Greensburg, PA
You'd think something like that, with an arrest, would have made news somewhere.

http://news.google.com/news/search?aq ... for+fishing+with+dynamite

sounds like just a rumor to me..."i hear"...

Posted on: 2009/10/10 11:00

From Central, PA
Ive heard of the dynamite thing many times also netting the trout and putting clorox upstream to take the oxygen away from the water so they rise to the top.

Posted on: 2009/10/10 18:39

I heard from a reliable source up that way that the coyotes in the area have tattoos in their ears saying "Allstate." Or was it State Farm?

Posted on: 2009/10/10 20:25

From Lehigh Valley
Why they weren't caught...

Every Sunday afternoon the Mennonites would meet at the nearby cross roads and country store to compare their weekend catches. Everyone had normal size fish except this one old Mennonite who had always brought in huge fish. The warden heard about this and showed up one Sunday afternoon. After inspecting the old Mennonite's fish, he turned to the Mennonite and said "If you don't show me your fishing spot , I'm going to have to close you down." The old Mennonite replied by telling him to come out to the farm in the morning and he would take him fishing. The next morning the warden shows up with his pole and the Mennonite tells him to climb onto the wagon. They head out into this big field until they come to a little pond. The warden is scratching his head because all he sees is a rotten old skiff, when he expected a large lake and something closer to a yacht. The Mennonite said to get in and they start rowing out to the middle. About this time the warden notices that there are no fishing poles. As he is about to say something, the Mennonite reaches into a box and pulls out a stick of dynamite, lights it and throws it into the pond. After the water and smoke settle, he paddles around picking up the fish. The warden's jaw is on the deck. He can't talk for a minute. When he finds his voice, he starts in on the Mennonite about how he can't believe what just happened and starts screaming to the Mennonite about all the regulations he has broken. While this is taking place the Mennonite calmly reaches into the box grabs another stick of dynamite, lights it, hands it to the warden and asks him if he is going to fish or talk.

Posted on: 2009/10/10 21:05

From lancaster county
OMG! i never click down hear but decided to tonight. I might have to go back to avioding the pro-stream reports. I think i threw up a little in my mouth again.

Posted on: 2009/10/17 22:32

Quote:

RRR wrote:
I won't go into detail as to the method they used so as not to give anybody any ideas,

Bleach works wonders

Posted on: 2009/10/18 23:56

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com