Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Yough

The river put on a face only a mother could live this weekend. We were on the river Thursday through Saturday, and the river conditions were, to say the least, challenging.

On Thursday the river was too muddy for effective fishing below C-fluence, so we did a couple of floats from the dam to Ramcatt. The clean water before the rivers mixed fished well below town, but the fishing from the dam to town was anything but good.

We decided to float the whole stretch on Friday despite the high water and the still colored up river, and by the end of the day we were glad we had. For the first time that I've seen, the river actually fished well on the fall. There was so much water that the only place a trout could eat in comfort was the bank, and as the river cleared in the afternoon, the trout were taking advantage of the variety of bugs being forced to the banks by the high flows. A nice variety of cahills, isos, and bwos had the fish looking up, and the off-color water had those browns that normally don't show in the daylight on the feed.

On Saturday the river fished well in the morning, with fish eating tan caddis (16-18) and crane flies (16). By the time we broke for lunch the sun was high and the bite was off. Once some shade returned to the banks the fish began to eat again, but the we had little chance to see how things developed as the weather moved in and chased us off the water.

The flows were dropped to 800 cfs from the dam today and the river was at 2.8 in Confluence that last time I checked so the fishing should be hot for the next few days, especially with the predicted cloud cover. Although there is rain in the forecast, it doesn't look like anything that is going to bring the river up to any degree, so--though I hesitate to say it--it seems we may have a solid week of fishing ahead.

That's the report. There are bugs on the water, the fish are looking up, and the river is shaping up just fine. Get out there and have at 'em.

Until next time,

LHGS

Attach file:

jpg  foam mat brown.jpg (110.92 KB)
874_4c159226e4a2e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  dry-fly bow.jpg (121.46 KB)
874_4c159261d8018.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  bank sipper.jpg (116.73 KB)
874_4c159292d87fd.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  another bank robber.jpg (114.68 KB)
874_4c1592fcba5b9.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/6/13 22:23

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com