Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Yough Update

Trout fishing up high on the big river has been quite good. Daily hatches of caddis and olives have been providing some exceptionally good dry-fly fishing throughout the day, while spinner falls at night have been hit or miss. The sulfurs have pretty much petered out, but there are still a few big cahills around and patterns like yellow wulfs or yellow stimmies in 12 are nice for prospecting. Also, there are some ISOs in the mix, and the trout have been on them as well on those days when they're out in abundance.

Underneath, mayfly and caddis nymphs to match the bugs mentioned above have been getting fish on the reg, and stoneflies fished in stonefly water are always a good bet.

Streamer fishing? Hard to tell really. We've been so preoccupied with looking for heads that we've fallen out of that particular niche for now.

Down low, the river is at temps that we haven't really seen for a few summers for any length of time, so fishing for greenies is, as you might expect, very good as well.

Lastly, quite a few local boys, maybe because the smaller streams have all but dried up, have been out on the river filling their stringers of late: if you see these guys with more fish than they are allowed, report them. Regs on the Middle Yough are two over fourteen inches.

Enjoy,

The boys at LHGS

www.laurelhighlandsguideservices.com

Posted on: 2012/6/26 7:51

Re: Yough Update

I guess they fished out Dunbar already and are moving on.
I gotta say, I am mildly disappointed there isnt a monster brown included in this post. I was growing used to seeing one each report.

Posted on: 2012/6/26 11:12

From Pgh
Quote:

YoughRiverGuide wrote:

Lastly, quite a few local boys, maybe because the smaller streams have all but dried up, have been out on the river filling their stringers of late: if you see these guys with more fish than they are allowed, report them. Regs on the Middle Yough are two over fourteen inches.

Enjoy,

The boys at LHGS

www.laurelhighlandsguideservices.com

I thought this sort of thing waned over the last 15 to 20 years. Apparently not. Poaching and overkill used to be the way it always was in the waters around there. (The one story I always tell is the day I found blasting caps and no fish in one of the local streams in the area.) Don't they recognized a valuable resource when they see one. I suspect they're beyond help... but we need to do a better job teaching the kids.

Posted on: 2012/6/26 12:57

The big browns have been eluding us of late. We have had some big bows though. Here's one that was twenty on the nose. (Doesn't look quite 20 in this guy's hands, but that's likely because he weighs 300 lbs. Seriously.)

Attach file:

jpg  yough bow2.jpg (124.96 KB)
874_4fea47e9637ba.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2012/6/26 19:38

From SW PA
The regs on the river need to change more or less... No kill on the middle Yough would make the river up there with some of the better fisheries in pa.. Plain and simple...

Posted on: 2012/6/26 20:54

From SW Pennsylvania
That would be awesome. From the damn to the falls all CnR. Maybe keep up from Casselman for the put and take to keep everybody happy. There are some large fish in there now but could you imagine after a few years of spec regs.

Posted on: 2012/6/26 22:17

From SW PA
I agree that from the confluence of the casselman to the falls would be great.. That would leave a nice piece of water for the put and take as well. It has worked well on waters such as the clarion with great results... This has been tossed around by a few Yough river guides but just needs more support...

Posted on: 2012/6/27 8:55

From Pgh
Nice thought, but the fact remains that no matter what is posted, they will still take fish. imo, changing regulations will do nothing for the poaching problem.

Posted on: 2012/6/27 10:29

From Jefferson Hills, Pa
I like the idea of catch and release from Ramcat to Ohiopyle. Just one question though. I've never run into a PBFC officer on the Yough, period. I know I'm not there every day of the year but I've never seen one. I know they can't be everywhere, but if you have C-n-R rules, you will need some kind of enforcement of that rule.

Posted on: 2012/6/27 18:46

From SW PA
I think you are right about the amount of enforcement that patrols our water in this area. I just think it should be the next step in terms of the regulations from trophy trout to c&r. We don't have a place like this in our region. Might chase away some of those people that poach. I fish spring creek, clarion, and little j a lot. I can say that I have never seen anyone patrolling those either.

Posted on: 2012/6/28 7:18

From SW Pennsylvania
I ran into an PBFC officer below the outflow in the middle of a blizzard in early March. Only time I've ever been checked there. He said he patrols everything in the Laural Highlands area. Dunbar Cr. to Laurel Hill Cr. That's a lot of area to cover for one person.

With the mid-Yough being such a large river and so much of it requiring foot/bike travel to access, even the occasional poacher would unlikely make much of an impact. Most of the places I've noticed CnR poaching are basically roadside pull-offs.

Posted on: 2012/6/28 9:18

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com