Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Yellowbreeches condition

From Boilingsprings
The Breeches is almost bank full and muddy this evening. I would give it two days before thinking about it. Try the spring creeks. This cold spell may make things shut down so be patient.

Posted on: 4/15 20:47

Re: Yellowbreeches condition

From Boilingsprings
There has been a fair tan size 16 Caddis hatch the last few days and the wild fish are eating them. Sulphurs are next

Posted on: 4/25 18:14

I hit the Breeches near the mouth of the Run Friday after work. In the 1.5 hours I fished in the rain, I saw tan caddis, a small grey winged mayfly (BWO's?) and many crane flies. My buddy pointed out close the 40 crane flies hanging out on a log, just above the waterline. I had 6 hits on a PT with 3 hook ups - 2 ended up being long distance releases with one 13" Brown to hand.

Posted on: 4/29 14:54

From Boilingsprings
The Breeeches will be near or at flood stage through Thursday so fo get it a few days. If you need to fish try the Letort above Carlise or Bigspring. Perhaps by the weekend it will be streamer fishable.

Posted on: 4/30 19:09

From Boilingsprings
I saw my first Sulphurs for the year on the lower Breeches in the Williamsgrove area. There was only a hand full so it will be a few days before it will be a solid hatch. This is about 4 days later then the last few years. The first few days will see flys a few hours before dark then when the weather gets warmer it will be the last hour before dark. Water levels are still high and slightly stained.

Posted on: 5/7 7:04

From Boilingsprings
The Breeches is still up and somewhat harder to wade. There have been a few Sulphurs the last 3 or 4 nights but only a hand full. Try some size 16 tan Caddis, cream Crane flys, and Sulphurs. There have been BWOs on the overcast some what rainy evenings also. Do not let the lack of bugs fool you. I fished last night in the open water and landed 15 Browns in about 2 hours. Only 1 was a stocked fish. If you want to fish the hatch try the Williamsgrove section and below for the next few days. Not all of the hatches start down stream but Sulphurs usually appear on the lower section of the Breeches first. I am guessing in a day or two we will start to see bugs in better numbers. I never post # of fish caught but think it is important to let everyone know there are a lot of fish to be caught this time of year.

Posted on: 5/10 7:46

In Boiling Springs, my students & I did a brief survey of the Run and in the main stream, just above the confluence between the two. At 1300, the temp in the Run was 55 degree, 57 in the main stream. The Run's pH was at 9.0, the main stream was at 8.5 - but my pH meter may need to be recalibrated.
Macro's we observed in the Run in the kick net: Tons of shrimp (18-16), dozens of dark, size 16, mayfly nymphs, and several size 14 green caddis larva.
In the main stream, dozens of shrimp, about 10 mayfly nymphs, one brn/yellow stonefly nymph (sz 10) and several size 16 caddis larvae.

The main stream has a near perfect flow - now if I can get a reprieve from yard work...

Posted on: 5/15 15:24

From Carlisle, Pa
Matt please check your PM
Thanks

Posted on: 5/15 22:16

I retract my previous stream assessment. Yesterday would have been ideal - today is a mess (as you can guess). This morning, the main stream was running at or over 2500cfs. The main stream was backing up into the run:(

Posted on: 5/16 11:56

Today, we completed our last stream assesement of the school year. The Run was at 56 degrees, with a pH of 8.0. In the main stream, the temp was at 57, with the pH at 7.5.
The macros were certainly different from last week - not nearly as many shrimp, and those caught were about an 18-20. Few (3) caddis larvae in the Run, and a few small (sz 18) dark mayfly nymphs.
The Main stream was worse - out of 4 kick net samples, we had 10 shrimp (20s) and 4 dark mayflies (18). No sulphur nymphs or stoneflies at all. The main stream is high and clearing, but wadable, if you're very careful.

Posted on: 5/20 15:08

From Camp Hill, PA
mattofcarlisle,

Did your people see the large goldfish in the run? It is right beside a 2-foot brown trout.

Posted on: 5/20 15:51

We did not - we worked in the Pavillion pool, and in another 3 pools downstream. We did see an Northern Water Snake and a Black Racer, though. My students pointed out several dead fish in the Run, as well.

Posted on: 5/21 8:15

From Boilingsprings
The Breeches had a good Sulphur hatch last night. Water is up but fairly clear,(fishable). You may see a few flys during the day but the last 2 hours before dark is prime time. I was on the Delaware so did not post last week on local cumberland valley fishing.

Posted on: 5/25 8:15

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com